Interviews part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Waiting on:
UCSD
UW

Invited to:
BID
B&W
Penn
Penn State
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
Mayo-Jax
Mayo-Roch
Utah
VMMC
OHSU
UCSF
Stanford
UCLA
UCI
Harbor UCLA
UCS
Loma Linda

Probably cancelling:
Penn State
BID
B&W
Utah
UCSD (assuming they invite me)
Mayo-Jax
Loma Linda

Members don't see this ad.

Ear-ache,
I have a friend applying to your home school. do u want to go on record with any info, PM me, or let me know TH?

Good luck today at Wash U!

Got the "thanks but no thanks" from University of Colorado. One of the ones I really wanted to go to. I just don't get the selection criteria. Got invites from Mayo, Stanford, etc...why not CO? The logic defies me.

Members don't see this ad :)
UC reject also, Dont understand, got UCLA, Columbia, UF, NYU, U Chicago??

The logic: they think that with your (presumably high) scores and grades you're really only serious about the Columbias and Uchicagos and schools near your current residence and just took a shotgun approach to applications. I've received interviews from some top programs in the Northeast and Midwest but have heard nothing from places in the South. They probably think I just applied to those places as backup ... which I guess is mostly true. :laugh:

My 2 cents.

That brings up a REALLY good point. You think there is something about being to good to be ranked? I mean do you think some programs believe that you are just applying there for backup and wont even rank you because they believe it will be a wasted spot?

bullard said:
The logic: they think that with your (presumably high) scores and grades you're really only serious about the Columbias and Uchicagos and schools near your current residence and just took a shotgun approach to applications. I've received interviews from some top programs in the Northeast and Midwest but have heard nothing from places in the South. They probably think I just applied to those places as backup ... which I guess is mostly true. :laugh:

My 2 cents.

Med4ever said:
That brings up a REALLY good point. You think there is something about being to good to be ranked? I mean do you think some programs believe that you are just applying there for backup and wont even rank you because they believe it will be a wasted spot?

Yes, some applicants are too good for their own good! I have residents tell me they wanted to go to places that are not so competitive (either b/c that's their home school, it's in their home town, they have significant other there) but did not get ranked b/c according to the program director: "I didn't think you would want to come here". Happens all the time. That's why some programs don't even bother interviewing you. They know you probably won't rank their arse. That is why if there's a program that you would really really want to be, you gotta tell them. Sounds obvious.

DrDre' said:
Ear-ache,
I have a friend applying to your home school. do u want to go on record with any info, PM me, or let me know TH?

Good luck today at Wash U!

Thanks Dre! WashU was awesome! I was very impressed with their program, it is definitely worth checking out. Or, err..... Actually it was awful and everyone should run from this program with their hands on their heads screaming like little 2 year old girls. ;)

Anywho, I posted a little diddy about Mizzou at this link:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=235770

If he/she has any more questions, please feel free to email or PM me.

Thx Ear,
I am sorry u hated Wash U so much. It must be a crappy program. Everybody should cancel their interview! ;)

Cornell Med 11/8 via email - Real strange given that the email was sent thursday, november 3rd.

Congrats E!! Just curious, did you do a away rotation at Cornell?

My updated list -

SLU (9/7) - interviewed 9/29
UAB (9/6)
UIC (9/19) - cancelled
MCG (10/3)
Vanderbilt (10/3) - went 11/4
UTMB (10/3)
VCU (10/3)
U.Chicago (10/11)
Ochsner (10/11)
U Michigan (9/7)
Rush (10/25)
UAZ (10/24)
Loyola (10/17)

Transition/Prelim
Ochsner (10/25)
THMEP (11/3)

The only other interview I would really like is at Scott and White - Oh Well. I have kind of resigned myself at this point to only getting rejections from here on out...that's ok with me. I feel like I wouldn't have half of the interviews I have if I hadn't turned in my application on 9/1. So for all of the MS3 looking at this post TURN YOUR APPS IN EARLY!

So Far I have got the big ding from IL masonic TY, UColorado, Mayo-Jax

Oh yeah and between interviews, step 2 (do and md), and my rotations I am pooped and I have only done 2 interviews! This is going to be a long 2 months!

Members don't see this ad :)
moonlight2000 said:
Congrats E!! Just curious, did you do a away rotation at Cornell?

Thanks moonlight :) Yes, I did their cardiovascular physiology elective (month of cardiac anesthesia). Are you thinking about doing an elective there?

Yeah, I am thinking about doing an elective somewhere in the city. Trying to decided btwn Cornell, Columbia, or Mt. Sinai. If it's not too much trouble, can you briefly tell us about ur month at Cornell. Thanks E.

aredoubleyou said:
South Florida 11/8 by email. Will decline.

Rejected by Stanford Friday night. Another 4 years without a proper burrito. :(

Invites:

WVU via e-mail yesterday. meh.
U South Florida today via e-mail. meh.

likely to decline those two.

U. Maryland today via e-mail. gotta read more before i decide whether to decline.

Cornell today via e-mail. gotta stop giggling before i call to schedule.

So I must ask. How many interviews are people going on? I have quite a few scheduled now (14 after i decline/cancel a few). Half of these seem like "reach" programs to me. Two of them are courtesy interviews because they are home sites, but I have no intention of being there. Tack on 5 TY and 1 prelim IM and I'm sitting through 20 days of talking heads.

Anyone else starting to get sick when they look at the calendar and travel itinerary?

Trisomy13 said:
Rejected by Stanford Friday night. Another 4 years without a proper burrito. :(

So I must ask. How many interviews are people going on? I have quite a few scheduled now (14 after i decline/cancel a few). Half of these seem like "reach" programs to me. Two of them are courtesy interviews because they are home sites, but I have no intention of being there. Tack on 5 TY and 1 prelim IM and I'm sitting through 20 days of talking heads.

Anyone else starting to get sick when they look at the calendar and travel itinerary?

I think I will go on 10 to 12 interviews all together. If I get a real good feeling from my earlier ones I might cancel a couple at the end.

A real burrito in the Bay area??? Is that the kind with seasoned rice, cubes of mango, asian spices, and goat cheese? If you really want a real burrito gotta go to the place with a bunch of burnt out lights, no soap in the washrooms, and little pieces of bones in the chicken. Those are always the best places -and every town has at least one!

aredoubleyou said:
A real burrito in the Bay area???

hell yeah man. not the fruity healthy kind you think - a real bean/cheese/carnitas burrito from a place in the Mission where the line cook s missing a thumb, was just discharged from SF General that morning, and there's a guy taking a dump on the sidewalk around the corner. (i swear i saw all of this and more when i worked for an outreach program for ucsf)

before baja fresh and qdoba tried to approximate a real california burrito (god bless em for at least trying), the closest thing we had on the east coast was some lard-drenched microwaved disaster at Chi-Chi's (you want Hep A with that?) or that crap they push at Taco Bell.

oh and interviews - ideally i would go on 10-12 but i want to check out different places for different reasons (rep, location, gut feeling, something i read) so i think i'm going to be travelling a lot.

mt sinai today via email

anyone know what the story is with UCSD? last one i'm waiting on--gotta love so cal! will be canceling lots of interviews soon, will post them when i do. good luck to all!

invites:

Emory
Duke
UNC
Wake Forest
GW
Hopkins
Cornell
Columbia
BID
Brigham
UChicago
Northwestern
UCSF
Stanford
Virginia Mason

Still waiting:

MGH
Georgetown
MUSC

To take all these interviews: My wallet is telling me no, but my indecision, my indecision is telling me yes.

Happy interviewing!

Dr Dre

T' en a marre de quoi ?

Trisomy13 said:
hell yeah man. not the fruity healthy kind you think - a real bean/cheese/carnitas burrito from a place in the Mission where the line cook s missing a thumb, was just discharged from SF General that morning, and there's a guy taking a dump on the sidewalk around the corner. (i swear i saw all of this and more when i worked for an outreach program for ucsf)

LOL!! :laugh:
Now I wish I applied to UCSF.
Oh yea, now I remember...I'd never get in.

To anyone holding out for a UAB spot, I think I am going to be giving mine up this week (it's scheduled for Jan 30) due to financial constrictions and location considerations.

I'm another lurker who has yet to post... Here's my list so far:

SLU
U of Minnesota
UNC
U of Vermont
Maine Medical Center
Penn State
Dartmouth
Maryland
MGH (today)
Tufts (today)

Also, 6 TY/prelim med programs so far.

Rejections: Iowa (my first rejection and my alma mater, but I'm still a die hard fan!), Wake, Michigan, Stanford, New Mexico

Thanks to all of the frequent posters, who kept me entertained during my step 2 studying. Just took it yesterday!

hawkeyemeg said:
I'm another lurker who has yet to post... Here's my list so far:

SLU
U of Minnesota
UNC
U of Vermont
Maine Medical Center
Penn State
Dartmouth
Maryland
MGH (today)
Tufts (today)

Also, 6 TY/prelim med programs so far.

Rejections: Iowa (my first rejection and my alma mater, but I'm still a die hard fan!), Wake, Michigan, Stanford, New Mexico

Thanks to all of the frequent posters, who kept me entertained during my step 2 studying. Just took it yesterday!
yo i just got tufts today too. out of curiosity is Tufts a 'good' school? I just applied there cuz of my 'far and wide' net that I cast.......

Med4ever said:

I think this is true, to some extent. Other applicants have gotten Stanford, Columbia, UCSF invites, but are waiting on UVA, Mayo-Jax, Vandy, Colorado etc. I have interviews from the latter but have been dinged from the former. I dont think of myself as less competitive, but maybe those schools that offered me do and think that maybe I will be 'easier' to corral.

ThinkFast007 said:
yo i just got tufts today too. out of curiosity is Tufts a 'good' school? I just applied there cuz of my 'far and wide' net that I cast.......

I don't know much about Boston, but I do know something about NYC. I think Tufts is like NYU. Not the best in their respective city, but no where near the worst either. Columbia/Cornell is to MGH/BWH as NYU/Mt.Sinai is to Tufts. Fair assessment? Yes, I know it will be harder to get MGH/BWH than C/C, but I think this is a good analogy. Tufts is a very good school. Top 50 in fact, according to all-knowing US News. But b/c Harvard dominates boston area, it's gonna be harder for you to pick up chicks in the bar if you go to Tufts. But since you are fast-thinking and look like James Bond, you should have no problem ;)

I think there was a mention somewhere that NEMC is in some trouble financially, but the hospital itself is nice. True?

moonlight2000 said:
Yeah, I am thinking about doing an elective somewhere in the city. Trying to decided btwn Cornell, Columbia, or Mt. Sinai. If it's not too much trouble, can you briefly tell us about ur month at Cornell. Thanks E.

yeah E i'm curious (given you are a sinai student) what you thought of cornell vs your institution...i really wish i had rotated at one of these places considering they're supposed to be awesome!

Has anyone not received a set interview date from UC-Irvine. I got the invite email on 10/23 and they still haven't confirmed my interview date yet. Is anyone else having this scheduling issue with them. Just curious....any info would be helpful.

Has anyone gotten an invite from U Washington recently. I called fishing and they are still evaluating. I turned my app in 9/1. If I was a residency program, I would send out interviews ASAP so people didn't schedule over my dates. Just me...

It has been 2 1/2 months nearly!

Hope everyone is enjoying their interviews!

I have not posted for a while. The farthest north I applied was MUSC or UAB (not sure which is actually farther north)

Interviewed at:
UAB
Miami

Will interview at:
MUSC
UTMB
Baylor
Mayo-Jax
UNM
Ochsner

Waiting to hear from
UTSW
UTHouston
Emory (please call me)
LSU-Shreveport
Tulane (no clue here)
UMiss

Rejection:
UF (one and only...I hate the Gators anyway. Go Canes!!!!)

Good luck to all.

DrDre' said:
Has anyone gotten an invite from U Washington recently. I called fishing and they are still evaluating. I turned my app in 9/1. If I was a residency program, I would send out interviews ASAP so people didn't schedule over my dates. Just me...

It has been 2 1/2 months nearly!

Hope everyone is enjoying their interviews!

I'm right there with you Dre!

cubs3canes said:
I have not posted for a while. The farthest north I applied was MUSC or UAB (not sure which is actually farther north)

Interviewed at:
UAB
Miami

Will interview at:
MUSC
UTMB
Baylor
Mayo-Jax
UNM
Ochsner

Waiting to hear from
UTSW
UTHouston
Emory (please call me)
LSU-Shreveport
Tulane (no clue here)
UMiss

Rejection:
UF (one and only...I hate the Gators anyway. Go Canes!!!!)

Good luck to all.

How was the UAB experience? I'm still waiting to hear from them...the Southern schools aren't showing me much love :(

moonlight2000 said:
Has anyone not received a set interview date from UC-Irvine. I got the invite email on 10/23 and they still haven't confirmed my interview date yet. Is anyone else having this scheduling issue with them. Just curious....any info would be helpful.

Same here moonlight. I sent them a second email. Still nothing.

bigwillmd said:
How was the UAB experience? I'm still waiting to hear from them...the Southern schools aren't showing me much love :(

I've gotten no love from southern schools either. Got a bunch from the northeast, where I'm from. I got nothing from Chicago either. Definitely a regional bias. However, I'm glad I got a few from southern cal. Giggles. Gonna be hard for me to decide between some of the powerhouses in northeast and the nice weather of socal... Anyone in the same predicament, albeit, a nice one to have?

jc237 said:
I've gotten no love from southern schools either. Got a bunch from the northeast, where I'm from. I got nothing from Chicago either. Definitely a regional bias. However, I'm glad I got a few from southern cal. Giggles. Gonna be hard for me to decide between some of the powerhouses in northeast and the nice weather of socal... Anyone in the same predicament, albeit, a nice one to have?

Strange...I'm in the south and of the 5 programs I've yet to get invites, 4 of them are in the south (and I applied to a ton in the north). :confused:

Uconn
Yale U
BU
MGH(R)
BID
B&W
StElizabeth
Tuft's(I) 1/9
UMass(I) 1/25
Baystate(I) 1/12
Dartmouth
MaineMed(I) 12/21
UVM (I) Interviewed 9/14
URochester (I) 11/13
NYMC
UAlbany(I) 1/11
PennSt (I) 1/2
UPenn
MUSC

Prelim Medicine
Greenwich Hospital
Griffin Hospital(I) 12/3
Norwalk Hospital(I) 2/3
UConn (New Britian)(R)
Yale(I) 1/14
Baystate(I) 1/20
Salem Hospital(I) 12/20
St Vincent(I) 1/13
UMass(I) 1/24
Albert Einstein

Nice list MeaCulpa. I PM-ed you

Hi all, longtime lurker, decided add my little contribution. Something therapeutic about full, anonymous disclosure, no? Submitted ERAS in late Oct, may be too ambitious and aiming for schools out of my reach, but hey, gotta try... hope I haven't missed my window...

Good luck and see y'all out on the trail.

Anesthesia interviews:
Rochester
Stonybrook
St. Luke's
Mount Sinai
St. Vincent's

Dinged by Stanford

Waiting on (and hopefully not in the process of being rejected by):
NYP Cornell
NYP Columbia
NYU
Albert Einstein
B&W
MGH
BID
Yale
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
WashU
Mayo-Roch
Duke
UNC
Hopkins
UWash
PENN

Prelim Medicine interviews:
Mount Sinai
LIJ
Beth Israel
St. Luke's
Flushing
Brown
Winthrop

No dings yet

Waiting on:
NYP Columbia
NYU
Cabrini
Lenox Hill
MGH
B&W
BID
PENN
WashU
Mayo-Roch
Yale
etc. etc.

Post #1000 for this thread is approaching. Just wanna let all you losers know that I'll be poster #1000. It's MINE, MINE, MINE!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.