Interviews part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received an interview from UK via snail mail.

I also heard from a big wig that "Univ of Louisville is in some turmoil right now due to an acting chairman".

Members don't see this ad.

hey E'02, nice to see you got a new avatar... paradise, aaahhhhhh... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
miamidc said:
Into san diego, recalled, reinvited to UCSD.

Invited and recalled?? Did all this happen on a sunday afternoon? When did you get these emails?

jc237 said:
hey E'02, nice to see you got a new avatar... paradise, aaahhhhhh... :)

That's where I hope to be in April when all all my 4th yr requirements/electives are done! Plus my boyfriend was like, "why on earth did you pick Gromit as your avatar??"

fishtolive said:
yeah E i'm curious (given you are a sinai student) what you thought of cornell vs your institution...i really wish i had rotated at one of these places considering they're supposed to be awesome!

It's hard to compare the two because at Sinai I did a month of gen anesthesia and at cornell it was cardiac. anyway here goes:

Sinai: Most happiest, laid-back, competent residents who enjoy what they do. Excellent mentors. Saw many different cases incl. peds, ob, neuro, etc. Didactic program is very strong (a big bonus for me) and residents have to take it seriously (daily lectures from 6-6:45am each morning) - you also have grand rounds once a week where a resident will present and a guest lecture will give a talk. Beautiful facilities - the design of the hospital focused on each patient room having a window and lots of natural sunlight throughout. Makes a LARGE difference when coming in and leaving the hospital when it's dark outside. Strong and supportive anesthesia dept - PD is great and well known for advocacy for the housestaff. Cons: subsidized housing is not cheap (about $1300 for a studio). I like the fact that people live all over and a few even commute in from NJ. I really love the program at Sinai If you can't tell already!

Cornell: Saw many many many many CABGs (about 2-3 per day). But it seems like you can pretty much float to different places and nobody would know, which is what I did during the last week. Hard to get involved given medical complexity of patients, but I got to intubate a few times. Behind the drape could get crowded what with the fellows, attending, resident, 3rd and 4th yr med student. There was more time for teaching and hands-on exposure in general anesthesia cases. The residents seem very happy with the program and quite a few were trying to decide between sinai and cornell during the application process. For most, the deciding factor was the cheap (required) housing that Cornell has (beautiful area by the way - mid east side) and the name (seems that Columbia>Cornell>Sinai>NYU). The facilities at Cornell are great too, but the patient population is different (sinai has a larger indigent and Spanish-speaking population). There seems to be more of a focus on hands-on training rather than didactics. They have tons of regional training what with Hospital of Special Surgery (HSS)

PM me if you have any more questions - hope this helps. Oh yes, Sinai has an awesome simulator program too.

Shout out to rocuronium - i miss you! 4 more EM shifts :thumbup:

Big ups to E'01. Rock on, playa, glad you're almost done w/ shifts...

telly said:
Just received an interview from UK via snail mail.

I also heard from a big wig that "Univ of Louisville is in some turmoil right now due to an acting chairman".

the Louisville chairmen is permanent, not acting

:thumbup: GUYS please remember to contribute to "INTERVIEW REVIEWS" thread.

I've only been on two so that's all I've been able to comment on, but i think each of our's contributions will mk the whole process better!

ThinkFast007 said:
:thumbup: GUYS please remember to contribute to "INTERVIEW REVIEWS" thread.

I've only been on two so that's all I've been able to comment on, but i think each of our's contributions will mk the whole process better!

my drexel interview starts in 8.5 hours.

i'll post tomorrow night.

perhaps i should get some sleep but... but... steelers.

Trisomy13 said:
my drexel interview starts in 8.5 hours.

i'll post tomorrow night.

perhaps i should get some sleep but... but... steelers.
go to sleep man! it's friggin 11PM!

hahah i gotta get up at 530, i should practice what i preacH!

i'm cancelling my MGH and B&W interviews today, so if you're holding out for either....

Anybody holding on to UAB or Emory interviews who are undecided about going please cancel so I can have your spot :D
My app is still "active" but they're just waiting on their projected 25-30 cancellations before they'll give me a shot

Members don't see this ad :)
I am still waiting.

Just found out that Emory recieved over 700 apps and had to impose a screening cutoff of 225 for Step 1 (just above my score DAMN!!!)...oh well :(

bigwillmd said:
Just found out that Emory recieved over 700 apps and had to impose a screening cutoff of 225 for Step 1 (just above my score DAMN!!!)...oh well :(

Seems to be a common thing this year. The competitiveness of anesth. has skyrocketed... for better or worse.

bigwillmd said:

Whoa that is like 2 points above my score too!! Didn't apply there though. . .

Yay for the PDs who actually read all the applications! :love:

chicamedica said:
Whoa that is like 2 points above my score too!! Didn't apply there though. . .

Yay for the PDs who actually read all the applications! :love:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
All 700- He never will- they are weeded out first

adleyinga said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
All 700- He never will- they are weeded out first

well I know the emory pd obviously isn't. There are other PDs who do. My appreciation was directed at the latter.

Has anyone heard from University of Washington yet? Interviews or rejections? I haven't heard a thing, and they're like the last program I'm waiting for. What gives?

Loyola wrote to say thanks, but no thanks today.

Had my Drexel interivew today and will review it tonight or tomorrow, or i might wait til i finish MetroHealth CWRU on Thursday and do both at once. the bottom line on Drexel is positive, great people and atmosphere, solid despite the probation status, which i will elaborate upon later.

the PA Turnpike is, in my mind, the strongest argument for research into teleportation.

UT-Houston invite today. On the fence about this one, very limited available interview dates...Anybody got the lowdown on this program?

I thought one or two people on here had gotten invites 3-4 weeks ago.

UW is my last prog I am waiting on. Should be this week!

B-Bone said:
Has anyone heard from University of Washington yet? Interviews or rejections? I haven't heard a thing, and they're like the last program I'm waiting for. What gives?

Uconn
Yale U
BU
MGH(R)
BID
B&W
StElizabeth
Tuft's(I) 1/9
UMass(I) 1/25
Baystate(I) 1/12
Dartmouth(R)
MaineMed(I) 12/21
UVM (I) Interviewed 9/14
URochester (I) Interviewed 11/14
NYMC
UAlbany(I) 1/11
PennSt (I) 1/2
UPenn
MUSC

I think UCSD must have forgotten to send out the rejections. I know people were invited last Friday, but I still haven't heard. Do all programs send out rejections? Or do some of them just never dignify your application with any sort of response. I'm growing weary of this game if you couldn't tell.

Bella2006 said:
I think UCSD must have forgotten to send out the rejections. I know people were invited last Friday, but I still haven't heard. Do all programs send out rejections? Or do some of them just never dignify your application with any sort of response. I'm growing weary of this game if you couldn't tell.

Have hope, you know what they say, "it ain't over til' the.......". Let's wait for the good news!! :thumbup: :D

Hey guys, been a few days since I last posted...busy on the interview trail. I'll get some reviews up soon.

Got UTSW last week! The last one I was waiting on! :)

moonlight2000 said:
Have hope, you know what they say, "it ain't over til' the.......". Let's wait for the good news!! :thumbup: :D

Yes, must remain positive. Thanks for the encouragement! :)

All interview slots are filled as of right now...

just in case anyone was holding their breath.

On another note- did we seriously delude ourselves about the Nov 1 "flood of interviews"? Most of mine were before then so I'm pissed. :mad:

onyX said:

On another note- did we seriously delude ourselves about the Nov 1 "flood of interviews"? Most of mine were before then so I'm pissed. :mad:

Yep, I deluded myself too. I thought lots of interviews would come through after the Nov. 1 release of the dean's letter. I've only had one since then. I still haven't heard from 7, yes 7 schools. :( Am thinking they're just rejections waiting to happen. You'd think that programs would at least let you know what's going on with your application. It's rude to keep people guessing like this.

Hey all,

Long-time lurker. Just wanted to let everyone know that UW is sending out invites. I got one this afternoon.

meals

meals said:
Hey all,

Long-time lurker. Just wanted to let everyone know that UW is sending out invites. I got one this afternoon.

meals

Congrats! :thumbup:
I'm at the edge of my seat waiting to hear something from UW.

Any recent activities by UCLA? I know some ppl got invites earlier on but was wondering if anybody heard anything since Nov. 1st....invites, rejects? This is the only school I am waiting to hear from, gotta keep the hopes up!!

onyX said:

Yeah same here. . .most of my interview invites were before Nov 1st. However, one program told me today that my application was being reviewed by a THIRD person. . .i guess i'm just a dilemma. . . :(

Oh btw. . .Cornell rejection. :rolleyes:

I've come to the conclusion that alot of schools aren't sending out rejections just yet because they're waiting to see how many interview cancellations they'll get...then maybe (just maybe) they'll consider inviting me :D

I just dont understand the interview selection process. Get an invite from MGH one day and get rejected from Beth Israel the next day, get an invite from Columbia then get rejected from Cornell. I wish I knew what they were looking for. It makes me somewhat reluctant to go to these "bigger name" interviews since I'm getting rejected from schools that are "worse than" the former. I just dont understand and dont get it...oh well, I guess its like the sports, cant win them all! Good luck everyone.

Soon2BENT said:
I just dont understand the interview selection process. Get an invite from MGH one day and get rejected from Beth Israel the next day, get an invite from Columbia then get rejected from Cornell. I wish I knew what they were looking for. It makes me somewhat reluctant to go to these "bigger name" interviews since I'm getting rejected from schools that are "worse than" the former. I just dont understand and dont get it...oh well, I guess its like the sports, cant win them all! Good luck everyone.

yeah same here. I think it depends on what you seem to be interested in, per your application. e.g. if you're into academics, you'd be a better fit at Columbia than Cornell, and MGH than BID. If you're into pain, BID will look at you with more interest while if you're into cardiac, MGH will be interested in you (hypothetically speaking--i dont really know that this is the case at these particular programs). It's not that Cornell is a "worse" program than Columbia, it's just not as academically oriented or as good a place for someone who wants to do research. It's amazing for other things, for example regional. I guess different programs have a slightly different spin on the kind of career they'd train you for. And I think this is where the importance of the personal statement rests.

k. . .? :confused: I just got 2 messages from BID. The first one said I was rejected (timed earlier). The second said I was waitlisted. :confused: :confused: Which is it???

chicamedica said:
k. . .? :confused: I just got 2 messages from BID. The first one said I was rejected (timed earlier). The second said I was waitlisted. :confused: :confused: Which is it???

hey chica, I'm ROWING the boat that we're in. i replied asking for clarification.

Soon2BENT said:
hey chica, I'm ROWING the boat that we're in. i replied asking for clarification.

woohoo! lol, we must be on the same distribution list.

Status
Not open for further replies.