interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

young guy np

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was wondering how much detail do the osteopathic schools expect you to know of the philosophy during an interview. anything will help. also, any material to enhance my knowledge of osteopathic medicine would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you'd better read up on osteopathy (how about "The DO's..." by Gevitz, among others...). Going to open houses helps, and the Osteopathic Medicine Awareness Conference at Western U/ COMP is excellent. The interviewers will almost always ask you something about osteopathy: what have you read on osteopathy? what are the four tenets of osteopathy? and the like.

You can skim/scan "The DO's" and gain a lot of useful information about the history of osteopathy in America. The Web is also a good source of info.

------------------
-PB (Western Univ./COMP '04)

"Never give in, never give in,
never, never, never, never..."

-Sir Winston Churchill, 1944

Every schools interview will be different. In my interview at KCOM last year I wasn't asked a singe thing about Osteopathic theory or any medical issues. Another student be interviewed that same day at KCOM was "grilled" on medical issues and his feeling about them. I think what you talk about in your interview could be anything. It is good to try to prepare but I wouldn't stress out about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I went for the interveiw in NYCOM, the interviewer gave me a tough oral quiz relating to osteopathic medicine.

I did my reading and I thought I was confident, but I never expected they would ask me to give specific examples regarding OMT treatment in conjuction to convention therapy. I was in shock. I told them that I was no expert in OMT, and I expected to learn about it while I am in medical school.

However, I have good and postive experience in all other interviews. None of them expect me to know the details about osteopathic. Basically, they just want to know whether I have a good understanding of the profession and willing to commit to it.

I read the Gevitz book to prep for interviews, but was never asked a single OMM/OMT question. Nor was I really asked anything other than the usual "why do you want to be a D.O.?". I think my experience was somewhat out of the ordinary, as most of my classmates were asked osteopathic philosophy questions. I'd cover your bases and be over-prepared. That way you won't be slammed in an interview and get all rattled. Just my 2 cents...Good luck!

Stef
UOMHS '03