Intramural Sports on Med School Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scruggs92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious if putting intramural sports on a medical application would be appropriate. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have space for it, go right ahead. It's not going to make or break you by any means, but it is nice for schools to know what your hobbies are.

Members don't see this ad :)
I listed them on mine and they were discussed in 3-4 of my interviews. The interviewers seemed to want to see that I had outside interests. Additionally, they were brought up when I discussed how I blow off steam and de-stress. I'd definitely recommend putting them on there somewhere.

I listed them on mine and they were discussed in 3-4 of my interviews. The interviewers seemed to want to see that I had outside interests. Additionally, they were brought up when I discussed how I blow off steam and de-stress. I'd definitely recommend putting them on there somewhere.

Same. I loved intramurals (and still love them in medical school). I played all 4 years of college and was also "captain" which was a decent time commitment across multiple sports. A ton of my interviewers loved sports so it came up during interviews quite a bit.

List it! The team aspect definitely relates to healthcare today (especially if you were in a leadership position like captain). Aside from that adcoms like to see you have interests outside academics (balance in life!). Some of my interviews I actually these hobbies/interests (seems like some schools try and match interviewees and interviewers).