Intro and HPSP questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForzaOnore

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I look back on my life I have two major regrets. The first is not joining the military when I was 18, and the second is not pursuing a medical career. The first I didn't pursue because my family was against it and the second was because of the tremendous debt I would have to take on.

Now I'm 34 years old I've decided that I might as well just go for it. The path is going to be difficult, but I'm reaching out to this forum for initial help and I hope to become a valued member of your community. I currently work full time as a food scientist, have no debt or obligations. I'm very active physically.

I survived undergrad with a chemistry degree and a final GPA of 3.0, which from what I'm reading just isn't going to cut it. I wish they factored in difficulty of curriculum, but I guess it doesn't matter. In some of the engineering classes I had to take people rarely got above a B.

So I would assume my first goal would be to take some classes to boost it. Then there's the MCAT, and lastly apply for the HPSP.

So here are my questions. Are there any reputable admission consultant services who can help me develop a plan for the next few years? I can definitely go about it on my own, but just wondering.

From what I've been reading the age limit for a military scholarship means that I must be active duty by 42. Does that mean I must get into school by 38? What are the odds of getting the scholarship?

Thanks and good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Can't comment on the military portion but if you are in Texas, then I believe there is some GPA forgiveness if the grades are 10+ years old.

I would assume that you have roughly 120 units, if that is the case, then taking a full load of units for two years with all As will put you at around a 3.33 which would make you a competitive DO candidate. If you have to keep your job, then it will obviously take longer.

If you have been out of school for a while, I would suggest enrolling in a single community college class and start from there.

Don't worry about the HPSP age requirement and other bs. If you want it and have been accepted to a MD/DO school, you will have your picking among the three branches assuming that your cgpa and sgpa are above 3.2.