Intro - Just Starting the Journey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoftGel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Just beginning this long process! I will be a very non traditional student with a few significant hurdles to overcome, but also have a few significant advantages. Anyone with encouragement, discouragement, insights etc. please feel free to share. Also, if there are any vets or GI Bill users, I am very interested in your input.

Background:
- 2006 BA, PolSci Major, GPA: 2.94 (well known lib arts school)
- 4 years working, teaching English in China
- 5 years as a Naval Officer
- Just quit a $100k job in Healthcare IT
- Still serving in the Navy Reserves

Hurdles:
- No science background. I was a humanities guy and have none of the prereqs, and am therefore looking at 3(4?) semesters of make up work.
- Low undergrad GPA. This number is not indicative of my abilities and I am confident I can do very well as I take the prereqs (I understand that I HAVE to). I will need to leverage by diverse work experience during the application process.

Advantages:
- Age and experience. Mature and know what I want. With a good DAT score and prereq grades, I like to think I present myself as a competitive and interesting candidate to dental schools.
- G.I. Bill. Without this, I would not consider dental school, with its associated forgone income (six years!) and $100k's of debt. With this benefit however, I am entitled to four years of free tuition at a public university or ~$20k a year reimbursement at a private institution, with living stipend.
- Supportive spouse.

I am now working through the process of structuring my prereq coursework. Weighing the options... community college vs. big university non-degree coursework vs. structured post bacc. The goal is to get the prereqs done in order to matriculate Fall 2018. I am kicking myself right now for missing the Spring 2017 semester, but will be ready to hit it full time come Summer 2017.

Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck! Your 2.94 will be factored into your dental undergrad pathway but if you do well and get a solid dat score, this will easily be overlooked. If you ever need help feel free to shoot me a PM.

I think a lot of schools place a limit on the number of required courses you can take at a CC, but I would try to maximize that as much as possible since it would be the cheapest option. I don't think a structured post-bacc would be necessary, just try to knock out all the pre-req courses as quickly as possible

The positive thing about your GPA is that you have no science classes. If you do well in them (which I'm sure you will), your sGPA will be stellar while also bringing up your subpar overall GPA to a range that's not too bad. Ace the DAT on top of that, and you'll be golden

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow career changer with no science background who was accepted this cycle. I was able to get all my science prereq's in 4 semesters (summer, fall, spring, and another summer) so it just took a little over a year. Some schools won't accept community college credits or will only take a certain number so be careful in that regard. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!!

Your quickest and most surefire approach would be the structured postbacc programs that are geared for non-science background students such as yourself seeking to matriculate into dental schools. It doesn't mean you don't have other alternative paths. You could do community college as well. Some schools do not accept it though.

I am on the same boat here: "weighing the options... community college vs. big university non-degree coursework vs. structured post bacc." I'm working as an engineer, graduated in 2014. I'm thinking about quitting my job ($75k) once I figure out the plan for the prereq coursework, aiming to start in Summer 2017. Have you contacted any universities in your area for the non-degree coursework? I'm leaning towards that direction. Let me know what you decide.

I am on the same boat here: "weighing the options... community college vs. big university non-degree coursework vs. structured post bacc." I'm working as an engineer, graduated in 2014. I'm thinking about quitting my job ($75k) once I figure out the plan for the prereq coursework, aiming to start in Summer 2017. Have you contacted any universities in your area for the non-degree coursework? I'm leaning towards that direction. Let me know what you decide.

I am thinking of taking them all at Kansas University. My wife is a grad student here, and we practically live on campus anyway. I have not done the research to know if a particular Dental School would take Community College credits. Determining which dental school I would be applying to seems very far out right now. There are good comm coll options in the area for the basics though (Chem 1, Bio 1, Calc) which would be much cheaper if allowed.

I went the community college route. Here's the facts/some advice, if you choose that path-

-I suggest getting the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools (you can get an online edition that's like fifteen bucks, I think). It will tell you virtually everything you need to know about each school and their requirements.

-City college is inexpensive.

-dental schools say they prefer classes from a 4 year college over classes from a cc (However, I didn't personally see much pushback from schools for going this route)

-some schools will not take cc classes, but nearly all do (the online ADEA guide will tell you which ones do and which ones don't).

-many dental schools have a cutoff of 60 transferable cc credits, which is more than enough to complete your prereqs classes, but may be problematic if you attended a cc in the past (you can also determine which schools have this cutoff from the ADEA guide)

- CCs typically offer every prerequisite you need except biochemistry (so you would have to take this course at your local four year college as a non-university student).

Reactions: 1 user
Updates...

I will be starting the brunt of the coursework at Kansas University, Fall 2017 (Bio w/lab, Chem w/ lab, Trig, ?). I am not guaranteed slots in these classes since I am non-degree seeking student, so this could go terribly wrong if I don't get a seat. This scares me. The pre-med advisor advised me to directly email the Professors and let them know my situation, which I will do as soon as I am able and classes are posted. But I could also double enroll at the CC here, just in case KU fell through, and then could get refunded if I had to. Does that sound overkill?

For Summer 2017, I am really stretching to find classes that will help me, and not waste my time. I am not working now, so I have the time to take a full load this summer, but there isn't much available! The plan is to do College Algebra to get back in the math mindset (may be easy, but I have not taken a math class in 15 years). Perhaps also basic Chemistry refresher course (again, possibly super easy, but I have not looked at Chemistry in 15 years). Any thoughts?

Anatomy w/lab is offered over the summer - has anyone heard of taking Anatomy before Bio?

Is there anything else I can do this summer without having already completed the basic Bio pre-reqs? It does not seem like it. I will begin shadowing at least.

Thanks guys.

Updates...

I will be starting the brunt of the coursework at Kansas University, Fall 2017 (Bio w/lab, Chem w/ lab, Trig, ?). I am not guaranteed slots in these classes since I am non-degree seeking student, so this could go terribly wrong if I don't get a seat. This scares me. The pre-med advisor advised me to directly email the Professors and let them know my situation, which I will do as soon as I am able and classes are posted. But I could also double enroll at the CC here, just in case KU fell through, and then could get refunded if I had to. Does that sound overkill?

For Summer 2017, I am really stretching to find classes that will help me, and not waste my time. I am not working now, so I have the time to take a full load this summer, but there isn't much available! The plan is to do College Algebra to get back in the math mindset (may be easy, but I have not taken a math class in 15 years). Perhaps also basic Chemistry refresher course (again, possibly super easy, but I have not looked at Chemistry in 15 years). Any thoughts?

Anatomy w/lab is offered over the summer - has anyone heard of taking Anatomy before Bio?

Is there anything else I can do this summer without having already completed the basic Bio pre-reqs? It does not seem like it. I will begin shadowing at least.

Thanks guys.
Have you looked at the dental schools you are applying to in order to see which requirements you exactly need?

Anatomy before bio should be fine. The difficulty of the classes really depends on the professor and the school though. I think ratemyprofessor is a great resource to gauge how others felt about certain courses and professors at your school

Updates...

Shadow. Volunteer.
Can you take Bio 1 and 2 in a summer course at a CC? Honestly I took mine at CC >5 years ago I'd say and it was a non-issue because I did well in bio classes at a 4- year I believe.
If Kansas wont let you into any classes (freshman classes fill up super quick!) then I'd go CC route and finish some extra upper-level bio courses at a 4-year if you can.

Updates...

Thanks guys.

Wow good luck! Glad you figured it all out! I don't think you should take anatomy before bio! Its hard enough on its own! Also, I know friends who did the dual enrollment at a large school and CC and it ended up working out well for them so don't worry!

Also, keep in mind you can put some of your science courses in planned when you apply in June, and then update schools with your grades! Make sure you leave room also to study and do well on th DAT:) Good luck

Welcome to the journey. You've already gotten a lot of good advice on this thread but I couldn't resist commenting because we're pretty similar - military officers - low undergrad - 33 years old... though you chose a better branch and I hit 34 in less than a month. The GPA will become a non-issue if you get a good post Bacc GPA and dat score. I've spoken with some admissions departments and they have said that, with my background and academic improvement, I'd be a "catch" for any school. Sounds like that would apply to you too.

Keep in mind, the post 9-11 not four years of free tuition unfortunately. It's only 36 months and d-school is year round. It's based on covering four years of 9 months of school. I'm doing the same thing so my planning is factoring in paying for the last year of d-school. Still a HUGE savings though.

From the va website: "How many months of assistance can I receive and how long am I eligible? Generally, you may receive up to 36 months of entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. You will be eligible for benefits for 15 years from your last period of active duty of at least 90 consecutive days."

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the journey. You've already gotten a lot of good advice on this thread but I couldn't resist commenting because we're pretty similar - military officers - low undergrad - 33 years old... though you chose a better branch and I hit 34 in less than a month. The GPA will become a non-issue if you get a good post Bacc GPA and dat score. I've spoken with some admissions departments and they have said that, with my background and academic improvement, I'd be a "catch" for any school. Sounds like that would apply to you too.

Keep in mind, the post 9-11 not four years of free tuition unfortunately. It's only 36 months and d-school is year round. It's based on covering four years of 9 months of school. I'm doing the same thing so my planning is factoring in paying for the last year of d-school. Still a HUGE savings though.

From the va website: "How many months of assistance can I receive and how long am I eligible? Generally, you may receive up to 36 months of entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. You will be eligible for benefits for 15 years from your last period of active duty of at least 90 consecutive days."

Awesome news, thanks for sharing what admissions said. Yep, I am not worried. As long as we study, we should be fine.

You are absolutely right about the GI Bill not covering it all. I will definitely be going the public school route for maximum coverage. I estimate I will be graduating with $50-70,000 debt from that last year. Still, it could be far worse.

Its a long but beautiful journey. Best of luck. In your personal statement make sure to emphasis how those hurdles/ disadvantages can actually be advantageous.

OK, timeline question here... looking at the (im)possibility of being able to matriculate at dental school in Fall 2019.

I am beginning pre-reqs this fall, 2017. Is it feasible to take the DAT and apply in the spring before the fall you wish to matriculate? It looks as though the general admissions deadline is Feb 15.

The rough outline looks like...

Fall 2017
Bio I, Chem I, Math X

Spring 2018
Bio II, Chem II, Math X

Summer 2018
Orgo I

Fall 2018
Physics I, Orgo II

Spring 2019
Physics II, BioChem,

Pre Feb 15, 2019 Deadline
DAT, Applications

Is this a complete impossibility? Perhaps I should move BioChem up to fall 2018?

Thanks.

Last edited:
OK, timeline question here... looking at the (im)possibility of being able to matriculate at dental school in Fall 2019.

I am beginning pre-reqs this fall, 2017. Is it feasible to take the DAT and apply in the spring before the fall you wish to matriculate? It looks as though the general admissions deadline is Feb 15.

Fall 2017
Bio I, Chem I, Math X

Spring 2018
Bio II, Chem II, Math X

Summer 2018
Orgo I

Fall 2018
Physics I, Orgo II

Spring 2019
Physics II, BioChem,

DAT, Applications

Is this a complete impossibility? Perhaps I should move BioChem up to fall 2018?

Thanks.

It is impossible to apply in the spring (summer) of a specific year and matriculate in the fall of that same year. There is generally a year between when you apply (e.g. Summer 2019) and when you matriculate (Fall 2020) because of the lengthy time involved for admissions to review applications, interview candidates, finalize the class, etc.

It is impossible to apply in the spring (summer) of a specific year and matriculate in the fall of that same year. There is generally a year between when you apply (e.g. Summer 2019) and when you matriculate (Fall 2020) because of the lengthy time involved for admissions to review applications, interview candidates, finalize the class, etc.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that is what I thought and feared. I just needed someone to confirm my fears. Cheers :(

can't you take DAT sooner? it doesn't matter when you take prereqs as long as you take them.
if you take your DAT during fall 17 or spring 18 you can apply in summer/fall of 18 to matriculate i following year.
have you taken Orgo before or been exposed to it? the ochem is not too deep on the DAT.

I agree with @fit2. If I were in your shoes I would take the DAT ASAP (realistic timeline). It will be pretty tough to study for it given your situation and minimal science background; however, I am confident that you can do well if you devote yourself to studying. Plus, you'll have an advantage when it comes time to actually take the courses.

I disagree with the last two. Having a low-ish GPA means you need to kill the DAT. You'd put yourself at a disadvantage by trying to take the DAT without having taken ochem. Why does the extra year bother you? Remember, life is all about the journey and this is a marathon, not a sprint.

I disagree with the last two. Having a low-ish GPA means you need to kill the DAT. You'd put yourself at a disadvantage by trying to take the DAT without having taken ochem. Why does the extra year bother you? Remember, life is all about the journey and this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Sadly if you don't really pass cutoff for DAT and GPA schools won't really look at your app. I guess it depends what schools you apply to and OP has pretty nice experiences. But a high s you still were able to master some major concepts from science classes etc. whatever path OP chooses, I think he should make sure he gets DAT scores

I see where you're coming from, believe me. I just feel that there are so many resources available, so anyone has the potential of doing well if they study those resources effectively.

Just my two cents, but of course... OP needs to do what he feels is best.

I had worked for 5 years deciding to switch to dental. Hadn't taken any of the prerequisites and my original gpa was 2.88. I did well in all the prerequisites, did well on the dat and was accepted. They never asked about my previous undergrad gpa.
I think they like to have older students as they tend to be more focused while in school. I was told by an admissions person to not take classes at a CC. Message me with any questions. I have been practicing for about 7 years

I am also a non-traditional student. DAT is do-able with your determination and constructed plan. You have to believe in yourself! Practice tests help you to estimate your score so, you will get the idea whether you are ready or not.

Last edited:
Updates...

Thanks guys.

Updates...

Thanks guys.

Hello, similar background... AF Vet applying this cycle. I'm pretty much an expert at using all VA benefits. To use these (if you are when you start school again), you have to be a degree-seeking student for the VA to certify your classes for payment. Even though you may not be finishing a degree there, you have to be on paper. Unless you are using TA from the Navy? Not sure how they do it, but as Active duty AF using TA, I also had to have a degree in progress. Don't waste your time taking classes that you don't need, look at the schools you may want to attend to see what they require. Most schools have the same needed classes (for example 12 hours of bio, 8 gen chem/8 organic, 8 physics, stats, biochem, english), but many differ by one or two. Do what you think you need as far as refreshers, but taking intro classes will put you a little behind and the VA/Navy may not pay for those. I took A&P 1and 2 before BIO, you'll be fine if the school allows it. Feel free to message me with any questions.

Fall 2017
Bio I, Chem I, Math X

Spring 2018
Bio II, Chem II, Math X

Summer 2018
Orgo I

Fall 2018
Physics I, Orgo II

Spring 2019
Physics II, BioChem,

DAT, Applications

Thanks.

Hi fellow Veteran,
I have a similar background as you minus having have been an officer. I was Enlisted in the Navy as a dental technician/assistant. I am also considered a non-traditional student and I just completed my Bachelors in Molecular Biology this past December.
First of all, congratulations on your desire to pursue dentistry, its a very rewarding career, in my personal opinion. My advice to you is of course complete your pre-requisites in order to be able to apply to dental school, but is there a way that you can take these pre-requisites with other science classes that might put you at full time? The reason why I say this is because when dental schools look at your pre-requisite course loads they want to make sure that you'll be able to handle the course load that you'll be given in dental school. Right now I see your tentative schedule and it doesn't seem that you'll be full time. Or maybe I'm mistaken, if you are, please disregard this advice.
As far as you taking your DAT right before you want to enroll into dental school is most likely impossible. Many dental schools have their application due dates such as October-December or so of the year before you want to attend, your DAT score has to be received by AADSAS in order for your application to be considered complete before dental schools even look at your application.
Another suggestion is for you to definitely start shadowing and get exposed to dentistry as much as you can so that dental schools can see that. Also, if you can try to get into a research lab to do research, this also boosts up your application. Even though I already think that you have many great attributes we need all the boosts that we can get with how competitive dental school admissions can be.
If I understand correctly you haven't used your GI Bill at all? Have you considered the post 9/11 GI Bill? I think you might get a bit more of money but you should definitely look into it. Find out how long you can use it for, etc, etc.
If anything have you heard of Voc Rehab as well?
If you need any help or have any questions, feel free to send me a message. It took me a good 7 years to obtain my bachelors due to 3 years of setbacks due to personal issues and hospitalizations. Just don't get discouraged if any setbacks do occur, just keep pushing forward regardless of the circumstances.
Another thing that I can think of is, have you asked if your school offers priority registration due to the fact that you're a Veteran? Contact the Veterans Affairs department of your school. I was lucky to have had gotten priority registration for both my community college and university enrollment periods due to being a Veteran. I was able to register for the classes I needed each time.
Wishing you the best Shipmate!

Reactions: 1 users

I do believe that if you have a school that is 4 years long, even though the post 9/11 GI Bill is only 3 years, you might be able to put in for an extension because you're degree plan will not be finished. I was lucky that I have had great counselors that have helped me out in every step of the process.
Best of luck!

I also forgot to mention, since you have minimal background in science try to hold off on taking your DAT until you have taken your pre-requisite courses. I only say this because the amount of material that you will need to cover is literally massive. Once you are getting yourself ready to take this test I suggest that you look into DATbootcamp.com and try a few of their free tests to see how ready you are for the DAT. Their format is very similar to what the actual DAT format is like, not the tests itself, but the format, that way you know what to somewhat expect. Also, Chads videos from coursesaver.com are really good. They have pretty much almost everything that you will be learning for the next 2 years, except the bio stuff, its pretty incomplete.
Khanacademy.org is also a good site if you need clarification for any of your courses that you'll be taking and if you need help with Biochemistry once you're there, in youtube you can look at Moof University-Biochemistry. I thought Organic Chemistry was a beast until I met Biochemistry lol.
Try to sit down with a counselor so they can also help you plan your schedule, I was seeing your tentative schedule and you only plan on taking a year of math. I'm not sure what level of math you would be taking, but remember some of the sciences require certain math class as a pre-req as well.
Either way, I'm pretty sure you have it all covered, I'm just trying to throw any thing out there that I think could help.
Again,
if you have any questions feel free to message me.

I do believe that if you have a school that is 4 years long, even though the post 9/11 GI Bill is only 3 years, you might be able to put in for an extension because you're degree plan will not be finished. I was lucky that I have had great counselors that have helped me out in every step of the process.
Best of luck!

I don't believe this is true. Post 9/11 lasts for four years if you take two semesters per year. This is standard. I've spoken with my education office on post.

However, the vocational rehab would pay out until you complete the degree - though most people aren't eligible for this.

Thanks for all the replies.

No real issue with it taking three years, instead of two... except that I am no longer a 20 year old undergrad just taking classes and enjoying the journey. I've been enjoying the journey for awhile. I don't need an extra year of journey unless its necessary. The exciting thing about this new journey is actually how linear and focused it is, compared to some of the other things I have done. I am not used to such a narrowly defined goal. But I got plenty of journey. Three years is fine though if needed.

Sadly if you don't really pass cutoff for DAT and GPA schools won't really look at your app. I guess it depends what schools you apply to and OP has pretty nice experiences. But a high s you still were able to master some major concepts from science classes etc. whatever path OP chooses, I think he should make sure he gets DAT scores

I am leaning towards not rushing it then. DAT in the spring/summer of second year, applications out that summer. Taking the DAT this school year, not having taken Bio, Chem or Orgo does not seem reasonable to me. Unless my family was being held captive and the condition of their release was my destroying the DAT this year, I think that goal is a bit ambitious.
I had worked for 5 years deciding to switch to dental. Hadn't taken any of the prerequisites and my original gpa was 2.88. I did well in all the prerequisites, did well on the dat and was accepted. They never asked about my previous undergrad gpa.
I think they like to have older students as they tend to be more focused while in school. I was told by an admissions person to not take classes at a CC. Message me with any questions. I have been practicing for about 7 years

Regarding the CC thing. I have the option this Fall to take Bio and Chem at a 4 year state university or my local CC. At the CC, I know what professors I will have, I know they are good, there will be 15-20 students in the classes and the profs will be easily accessible. At the state school, I know the professors I will have, they have lowest ratings on rate my professor (since I can only enroll the day before classes, I get the leftovers no one wants), the class sizes will be huge and my access will be limited to TA's. I know for a fact I will get a better education at the CC. The 4 year >>> CC demonstrates a frustrating and limited understanding in my book. As someone who went to a good undergrad school and had no previous interactions with CC's, I approached the CC with low expectations and an air of condescension when I enrolled in some classes this summer. All of my preconceptions have now been blown out of the water. Maybe the CC here is just better than most. It's frustrating that I am feeling pushed to enroll at the state school when I know it will be sub par.

Hello, similar background... AF Vet applying this cycle. I'm pretty much an expert at using all VA benefits. To use these (if you are when you start school again), you have to be a degree-seeking student for the VA to certify your classes for payment.....

I do not have access to TA since I am no longer Active Duty. I am paying for classes out of pocket. The GI Bill will used for Dental School.

I don't believe this is true. Post 9/11 lasts for four years if you take two semesters per year. This is standard. I've spoken with my education office on post.

However, the vocational rehab would pay out until you complete the degree - though most people aren't eligible for this.

My full GI Bill is good for 36 months of classes. 36 months was established based on the premise of 9 months of classes for 4 years. Depending on the particular school and its schedule, number of months of instruction per year, I am more than likely going to hit 36 months before finishing dental school. I should still expect to pay some tuition out of pocket.

Last edited:
Regarding the CC thing. I have the option this Fall to take Bio and Chem at a 4 year state university or my local CC. At the CC, I know what professors I will have, I know they are good, there will be 15-20 students in the classes and the profs will be easily accessible. At the state school, I know the professors I will have, they have lowest ratings on rate my professor (since I can only enroll the day before classes, I get the leftovers no one wants), the class sizes will be huge and my access will be limited to TA's. I know for a fact I will get a better education at the CC. The 4 year >>> CC demonstrates a frustrating and limited understanding in my book. As someone who went to a good undergrad school and had no previous interactions with CC's, I approached the CC with low expectations and an air of condescension when I enrolled in some classes this summer. All of my preconceptions have now been blown out of the water. Maybe the CC here is just better than most. It's frustrating that I am feeling pushed to enroll at the state school when I know it will be sub par.

I understand and had the exact same experience as you when I took classes at a CC my first time through undergrad. The same professor that taught lecture was in recitation and the lab. At the university it was 500 kids and different TA's for everything else. But straight from the admissions lady at the dental school associated w my undergrad, community college classes do not look good on an application. That's just what I was told, maybe call the adcoms at your top few schools and see what they say. Hopefully those viewpoints are outdated by now and it no longer matters.

I understand and had the exact same experience as you when I took classes at a CC my first time through undergrad. The same professor that taught lecture was in recitation and the lab. At the university it was 500 kids and different TA's for everything else. But straight from the admissions lady at the dental school associated w my undergrad, community college classes do not look good on an application. That's just what I was told, maybe call the adcoms at your top few schools and see what they say. Hopefully those viewpoints are outdated by now and it no longer matters.

THIS. When I left the army two years ago to pursue dentistry, I faced the exact same dilemma you did. I was worried about attending a 4-year state university and being in class with hundreds of 18 year olds and seriously considered the local community college. However, I visited and talked with the admissions' offices of four different dental schools and they all said while community college credit is technically accepted, it's not looked at favorably, especially when it comes to the sciences. If I were you, I would schedule a visit right now at the top couple dental schools you would like to attend, just to get on their radar and to ask them these types of questions. I ended up enrolling at the big state school and it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. As long as you put the work in and ask questions when you don't understand something, you'll be fine. Also, see if there's a veterans group on campus and use it to your advantage. For example, my school offered veteran's only tutoring free of charge. It might take some digging, but I was amazed at the resources provided to former service members.

Just a one last comment regarding your timeline. I would stay away from taking a class like organic chemistry during the summer. Ochem is hard and summer terms are usually condensed, which leaves you less time to learn the material. I took Gen Chem II during the summer term and it was a nightmare. Maybe use your summer to shadow/volunteer? For your SA, this is what my pre-req timeline looked like:

11/2015: ETSed
Spring 2016: Bio I, Gen Chem I
Summer 2016: Gen Chem II
Fall 2016: Bio II, Ochem I
Spring 2017: Ochem II, Physics I
Summer 2017: DAT
Fall 2017: Physiology, Microbiology
Spring 2018: Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physics II (if needed)

Best of luck!

Fellow vet here as well :) excited to see so many vets on this thread :soexcited:

consider using Voc. Rehab. if you have 10% or higher disability rating. I used GI Bill to pay for the first year of my postbacc and switched to voc rehab for the second year. They will cover all tuition and book and you still get BAH throughout dental school. I couldn't be happier about it.

If you need help on DAT, I'm more than happy to answer any questions as well.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for all the replies.

No real issue with it taking three years, instead of two... except that I am no longer a 20 year old undergrad just taking classes and enjoying the journey. I've been enjoying the journey for awhile. I don't need an extra year of journey unless its necessary. The exciting thing about this new journey is actually how linear and focused it is, compared to some of the other things I have done. I am not used to such a narrowly defined goal. But I got plenty of journey. Three years is fine though if needed.

I am leaning towards not rushing it then. DAT in the spring/summer of second year, applications out that summer. Taking the DAT this school year, not having taken Bio, Chem or Orgo does not seem reasonable to me. Unless my family was being held captive and the condition of their release was my destroying the DAT this year, I think that goal is a bit ambitious.

I do not have access to TA since I am no longer Active Duty. I am paying for classes out of pocket. The GI Bill will used for Dental School.

My full GI Bill is good for 36 months of classes. 36 months was established based on the premise of 9 months of classes for 4 years. Depending on the particular school and its schedule, number of months of instruction per year, I am more than likely going to hit 36 months before finishing dental school. I should still expect to pay some tuition out of pocket.

What are your long term goals? Do you plan on going back on Active Duty? If so, you have awesome options. HSCP would be a great option for you. By the time you graduate dental school, you'd only be about 3 years away from LCDR, and you would be able to retire in about 10 years. Since you are a reservist, i figure that retirement is part of your long term plan.
If AD is not the plan, I would seriously heed the advice here regarding Voc Rehab. It is WAY better than the GI Bill. You cannot begin to fathom how much of a better deal it is. Forget about post 9/11. There are some really great threads on this site regarding the program; I recommend dedicating some time to learn more about it.
Feel free to throw some questions out there. As you can tell, fellow vets love to help in these situations.

What are your long term goals? Do you plan on going back on Active Duty? If so, you have awesome options. HSCP would be a great option for you. By the time you graduate dental school, you'd only be about 3 years away from LCDR, and you would be able to retire in about 10 years. Since you are a reservist, i figure that retirement is part of your long term plan.
If AD is not the plan, I would seriously heed the advice here regarding Voc Rehab. It is WAY better than the GI Bill. You cannot begin to fathom how much of a better deal it is. Forget about post 9/11. There are some really great threads on this site regarding the program; I recommend dedicating some time to learn more about it.
Feel free to throw some questions out there. As you can tell, fellow vets love to help in these situations.

Thanks for directing me to look into Voc Rehab, but I left service with zero percent disability, which is exactly what I should have left with. I saw disability fraud everyday and decided to take a pass.

I have ZERO desire to go back on Active Duty. I spent 5 years on ships all over the world. My wife was patient though hardly thrilled. She is also a successful working professional, i.e. will not follow me around the world destroying her own career. Participating in the Reserves is great for many reasons in the short term, but I have not made the decision to hit 20 good years yet. Too much will depend upon the timing of possible mobilizations and what that means for Dental school and or starting my own practice.

I return every so often to look at the numbers for HSCP, because it is a great deal. But I also know that returning to AD and Dental Officer billets would be havoc on my family life ---> divorce :)

The post 9/11 is not such a bad deal.... it will be worth AT LEAST 300k or so to me :)

It's been over a year since I've updated.

For academic year 2017-2018 I completed: ENGL 101/2, BIOL I/II, CHEM I/II, College Algebra, PreCalc, CALC I

This year will be:
Fall
Orgo I, PHYS I, Stats, Anatomy OR Physiology?
Spring
Orgo II, PHYS II, Biochem?, and something else?
Summer
DAT, Applications, Biochem?, 3rd BIOL?
Fall
Biochem?, 3rd BIOL?

I am debating whether to add a fourth course this fall, since it is already a full credit load of science classes. Some dental schools do require that 3rd semester BIOL with lab, and I have not done this yet. However, it may be wiser to direct my energy into only the three classes. I have the rest of the week to think about it.

Enrolling in Biochem may be an issue since I am not confident it is offered around here in the Spring. Hopefully I will be able to take the DAT summer 2019 and still get applications out, even if I am forced to take Biochem in Fall 2019.

I noted in my original post one of my worries was my low undergrad GPA. So far I have A's in everything, so things are looking better. Technically my sGPA is 4.0 right now, but lets see if that survives Orgo and Physics this year...

Last edited: