Introduce Yourself Here...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, I am 20 and I'm a junior at Purdue studying Animal Sciences. This is my first time applying. I'm applying to Purdue, Western, Colorado, Penn, Oklahoma, and Illinois. Odd bunch I know. I haven't heard from anyone on interviews or rejections yet...

(scroll to the bottom of the page) -->My stats are decent but I'm a little low on vet hours I think. GRE scores are much lower than I would have liked but oh well.

I ride horses (we have 3) and so I would like to be an equine vet but I enjoy working with the other large animal species so I'm trying to find a large animal vet to work with currently. There's a good chance I will end up living in Los Angeles though (even though I'm from Indiana) so general large animal probably is not an option. I'm really interested in repro and lameness.

I'm not sure what else to say? I like drawing and I have a guitar but it doesn't get played much anymore. I like to read (A song of fire and ice? Jodi piccoult?) and HIMYM and Big Bang and House are some series I'm watching right now. And I love the late evening science channel programs especially the astronomy ones. I'm pretty random and I'll try just about everything though I'm actually pretty picky when it comes to deciding if I like something.

Finals are next week. Physics.... :p ..... that's all I gotta say.

Hello, I am 20 and I'm a junior at Purdue studying Animal Sciences. This is my first time applying. I'm applying to Purdue, Western, Colorado, Penn, Oklahoma, and Illinois. Odd bunch I know. I haven't heard from anyone on interviews or rejections yet...

(scroll to the bottom of the page) -->My stats are decent but I'm a little low on vet hours I think. GRE scores are much lower than I would have liked but oh well.

I ride horses (we have 3) and so I would like to be an equine vet but I enjoy working with the other large animal species so I'm trying to find a large animal vet to work with currently. There's a good chance I will end up living in Los Angeles though (even though I'm from Indiana) so general large animal probably is not an option. I'm really interested in repro and lameness.

I'm not sure what else to say? I like drawing and I have a guitar but it doesn't get played much anymore. I like to read (A song of fire and ice? Jodi piccoult?) and HIMYM and Big Bang and House are some series I'm watching right now. And I love the late evening science channel programs especially the astronomy ones. I'm pretty random and I'll try just about everything though I'm actually pretty picky when it comes to deciding if I like something.

Welcome!!

I've lived in So Cal my entire life and grew up in the Los Angeles area. There a lot of horse property (I grew up riding) it's just a matter of where you live. In LA there's not much horse property in the coastal area but east there is a lot. In San Diego Rancho Santa Fe is coastal and is full of horse property and the Del Mar race track is right there. East county San Diego has a lot of horse property as well.

So if you're set on equine medicine don't let the So Cal thing deter you!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Since I've been posting more actively in the threads for each school I've applied to I figured I might as well introduce myself...

I'm a non-trad student, still working on my first BA though (119 credits and probably won't graduate with a degree since I'm missing some random gen ed classes... grrr). I work full-time and this is the fifth year that I have been working through my pre-req's. After this semester I only have to take Physics 2! Aside from working at a fancy pants corporate job during the week and going to school 4 nights a week I work at an awesome SA clinic on the weekends. I have 4 cats (plus a foster kitten right now) and a husband that I wish I saw more often.

I bake, cook, knit, and dabble in digital photography. I love History (still technically a History major) and I'm currently reading a book about Stalingrad.

I've applied to Cornell (my IS), Penn, Tufts, VMRCVM, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin but I haven't heard anything from any of the schools yet. I saw yesterday that Penn sent out some rejections and since I didn't get one that made me feel slightly better. This is my first application cycle. I have a decent GPA (3.75) and okay GRE scores (93%V and 60%Q <-- wish that was higher) but as someone with a full time job, my experience hours are a bit on the lower side. I'm hoping the places I've applied will realize that working 50+ hours a week while going to school makes up for only taking 2 classes per semester.

Besides that, this waiting has officially driven me bonkers. I can't stop thinking about it! Only 3 more weeks until we hear from Cornell...:eek:

Since I've been posting more actively in the threads for each school I've applied to I figured I might as well introduce myself...

I'm a non-trad student, still working on my first BA though (119 credits and probably won't graduate with a degree since I'm missing some random gen ed classes... grrr). I work full-time and this is the fifth year that I have been working through my pre-req's. After this semester I only have to take Physics 2! Aside from working at a fancy pants corporate job during the week and going to school 4 nights a week I work at an awesome SA clinic on the weekends. I have 4 cats (plus a foster kitten right now) and a husband that I wish I saw more often.

I bake, cook, knit, and dabble in digital photography. I love History (still technically a History major) and I'm currently reading a book about Stalingrad.

I've applied to Cornell (my IS), Penn, Tufts, VMRCVM, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin but I haven't heard anything from any of the schools yet. I saw yesterday that Penn sent out some rejections and since I didn't get one that made me feel slightly better. This is my first application cycle. I have a decent GPA (3.75) and okay GRE scores (93%V and 60%Q <-- wish that was higher) but as someone with a full time job, my experience hours are a bit on the lower side. I'm hoping the places I've applied will realize that working 50+ hours a week while going to school makes up for only taking 2 classes per semester.

Besides that, this waiting has officially driven me bonkers. I can't stop thinking about it! Only 3 more weeks until we hear from Cornell...:eek:

You sound like a competitive applicant to me!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Hi guys!

I'm a senior Biology major and Art History minor. From NYC but go to school in Cleveland, OH. I love to bake, travel, take pictures and volunteer with my fraternity (Alpha Phi Omega). I'm also pretty involved in raising awareness for autism spectrum disorders and fundraising for organizations like Autism Speaks.

I'm a first time applicant - applied to Ohio State, Penn, Purdue, Colorado, Tufts and Ross. Rejected from Colorado but that was certainly a long shot. (Not so) patiently waiting to hear from the rest! Things have gotten a bit crazy since Sandy hit; certainly a distraction from all of this waiting and what ifs. I'm really interested in wildlife rehab and international medicine but definitely keeping my options wide open. I can honestly see myself doing any kind of veterinary work (besides something that would require me to spend all of my time in a lab).

I know this isn't the appropriate thread but if anyone had any tips on finding a place to get some LA experience near NYC, I would really appreciate it! I'm not really sure where to start :oops:

I know this isn't the appropriate thread but if anyone had any tips on finding a place to get some LA experience near NYC, I would really appreciate it! I'm not really sure where to start :oops:

As a fellow NYC'er I think you'd have a much easier time trying to find LA experience out in OH. I went to PA to do mine.

You sound like a competitive applicant to me!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Thank you :oops: I'm trying to expect the worst (not getting in anywhere) since I know that competitive applicants get rejected all the time...

Hi everyone! Longtime lurker coming out :)

2nd time 24 year old non-traditional applicant; I grew up in NY and graduated with my BA in Biology in 2010, but moved out to CA and got residence here while getting my MS in Physiological Sciences. My first time applying I only applied to 3 schools that I knew were reach (Colorado, Cornell, Penn) but thought I'd try anyway. This time around I applied to 9 schools and have been rejected from Davis thus far (I thought my life was over!!!).

My GPA in undergrad was about a 3.2 due to some family health issues so I struggled my first two years. I worked for a year as a research lab tech at a mouse lab while waiting for responses from schools. Getting the file review from Colorado and Cornell definitely helped me feel less desolate as they said I was a competitive applicant but needed to prove my grades were not representative of my true abilities. Now I'm working as a TA while doing research in a mouse lab for my thesis, as well as taking classes. Trying to stay sane through it all, I have a 3.54 and am halfway done with my MS! Majority of my hours are from mouse research (1000s since undergrad) and about 600 in wildlife rehab, 400 in small animal, 100 large animal, and also about 400 in zoo animal research. Seeing many of your inspirational stories has helped me keep my head up for sure. I'm interested in wildlife medicine and pathology; I'd like to have some public health role in analyzing disease epidemiology too!

Looking forward to interacting with many of you to try to keep sane during this stressful time :)

2nd time 24 year old non-traditional applicant; I grew up in NY and graduated with my BA in Biology in 2010, but moved out to CA and got residence here while getting my MS in Physiological Sciences. My first time applying I only applied to 3 schools that I knew were reach (Colorado, Cornell, Penn) but thought I'd try anyway. This time around I applied to 9 schools and have been rejected from Davis thus far (I thought my life was over!!!).

My GPA in undergrad was about a 3.2 due to some family health issues so I struggled my first two years. I worked for a year as a research lab tech at a mouse lab while waiting for responses from schools. Getting the file review from Colorado and Cornell definitely helped me feel less desolate as they said I was a competitive applicant but needed to prove my grades were not representative of my true abilities. Now I'm working as a TA while doing research in a mouse lab for my thesis, as well as taking classes. Trying to stay sane through it all, I have a 3.54 and am halfway done with my MS! Majority of my hours are from mouse research (1000s since undergrad) and about 600 in wildlife rehab, 400 in small animal, 100 large animal, and also about 400 in zoo animal research. Seeing many of your inspirational stories has helped me keep my head up for sure. I'm interested in wildlife medicine and pathology; I'd like to have some public health role in analyzing disease epidemiology too!

Looking forward to interacting with many of you to try to keep sane during this stressful time :)

Substitute the word fish for wildlife and that is what I would love to do also!! I cannot help but wonder, did you work at the CWC?

You can PM if you don't want to post it!

Substitute the word fish for wildlife and that is what I would love to do also!! I cannot help but wonder, did you work at the CWC?

You can PM if you don't want to post it!
I did! Hmm.. have we met??? :D

Hi guys!

I'm a senior Biology major and Art History minor. From NYC but go to school in Cleveland, OH. I love to bake, travel, take pictures and volunteer with my fraternity (Alpha Phi Omega). I'm also pretty involved in raising awareness for autism spectrum disorders and fundraising for organizations like Autism Speaks.

I'm a first time applicant - applied to Ohio State, Penn, Purdue, Colorado, Tufts and Ross. Rejected from Colorado but that was certainly a long shot. (Not so) patiently waiting to hear from the rest! Things have gotten a bit crazy since Sandy hit; certainly a distraction from all of this waiting and what ifs. I'm really interested in wildlife rehab and international medicine but definitely keeping my options wide open. I can honestly see myself doing any kind of veterinary work (besides something that would require me to spend all of my time in a lab).

:welcome: :love: :hello: :D
Very happy to see so many lurkers coming from the shadows :D

I did! Hmm.. have we met??? :D

I'm not sure! Maybe ha I worked there from August 2010-March 2011. I did the actual rehabilitation internship from August 2010-October 2010, and then I just volunteered after that. I actually was trained for Marine Mammal rescue, but I only did it a handful of times, so I didn't include that part on my actual app. hehe I love it! I miss it a lot. Sometimes I get tempted to move back to LA so I can be close to it. But I realized there are animals that need help everywhere!

I am also doing my master's degree right now, but I am working in an oyster pathology lab ( I am the odd one that does fish).

It would be funny if I am supposed to know you! I TA and I know for a fact that some of my old and current students use SDN.

Anyways, nice to meet you!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure! Maybe ha I worked there from August 2010-March 2011. I did the actual rehabilitation internship from August 2010-October 2010, and then I just volunteered after that. I actually was trained for Marine Mammal rescue, but I only did it a handful of times, so I didn't include that part on my actual app. hehe I love it! I miss it a lot. Sometimes I get tempted to move back to LA so I can be close to it. But I realized there are animals that need help everywhere!

I am also doing my master's degree right now, but I am working in an oyster pathology lab ( I am the odd one that does fish).

It would be funny if I am supposed to know you! I TA and I know for a fact that some of my old and current students use SDN.

Anyways, nice to meet you!:)

Awesome! I actually ended the wildlife externship around August 2010 so we definitely could've overlapped! Unfortunately being the late developer that I am I don't have my license so I haven't been able to go back (but it has been quite difficult with all the time in lab).TAing is awesome, I teach intro to bio so I sometimes get premeds more interested in exploring veterinary medicine :)

Nice to meet you! And congrats on your WSU interview :D

Hi all. I've been a lurker on these forums for a bit since I discovered them a couple months back, but I've decided to emerge, and introduce myself. I'm 19, and currently studying at McGill University, but originally from NJ. I'm getting a BA in Environment, but I'm also taking a minor in Science for Arts Faculty, where I'm doing mainly biology, so I figure that knocks out all my requirements for vet school, as well as giving me a "science-look".
I won't be graduating from McGill for another 3 years (at least!), but I'm already terribly worried about applying to vet school! But I'm sure that is a feeling a lot of pre-vet hopefuls share.
Ideally, the ultimate game plan is to be a large animal, most likely countryside, vet. I was spoiled at a young age by reading James Herriot, and became obsessed with the idea of working in the English countryside. I just want to roll around in grass and probably get covered in poop and hives.
Aside from time spent huddled in libraries, I am a total video game fan (Skyrim, Dragon Age, Assassins Creed <-- all my weaknesses when it comes to trying to study!), although I am completely AWFUL at them! :laugh: I also love reading whenever I have a chance, and am currently hooked on the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series.
I guess that's about it! It's awesome to meet you all! :)

As a fellow NYC'er I think you'd have a much easier time trying to find LA experience out in OH. I went to PA to do mine.

Thanks felinelvr! I will start looking out for something to do next semester instead of waiting until the summer.

And thank you Kpowell! :laugh:

Hi everyone. I'm procrastinating finals (bad idea), and because I'm sick of facebook, I decided to post on here! I've lived in NYC my entire life (and I go to college here), and I didn't expect so many people on here to be from NYC (though I think it's great!).

Like many others, I'm also a first-time applicant. I applied to Cornell (my IS), Penn, Tufts, VMRCVM, Wisconsin, Iowa, Kansas, Ohio, Ross, SGU, RVC, Edinborough, and AVC! Some, if not all, of those are long-shots, and I haven't received any interviews yet (aside from SGU!), but I'm trying to look at it in that I also haven't received any rejections. As far as GPA goes, I'm not a competitive applicant, which is partly due to a disability, so what I am counting on is my GRE (kind of) and my experience.

I'm in the midst of coping with a minor form of epilepsy, major depression, and a few anxiety disorders, so along with school, that takes up some of my time. However, when I'm not dealing with school and those things, I love to hang out with friends, talk about goats, and talk about my cat. The latter two always seem to come up in conversation with strangers, even when I'm at a bar (maybe that's why I have such a hard time dating...).

My main reason for writing on here: when I'm not with friends, I obsess over Demi Lovato. Are there any other Lovatics on here?!?!?!? teehee :)

Hi everyone. I'm procrastinating finals (bad idea), and because I'm sick of facebook, I decided to post on here! I've lived in NYC my entire life (and I go to college here), and I didn't expect so many people on here to be from NYC (though I think it's great!).

Like many others, I'm also a first-time applicant. I applied to Cornell (my IS), Penn, Tufts, VMRCVM, Wisconsin, Iowa, Kansas, Ohio, Ross, SGU, RVC, Edinborough, and AVC! Some, if not all, of those are long-shots, and I haven't received any interviews yet (aside from SGU!), but I'm trying to look at it in that I also haven't received any rejections. As far as GPA goes, I'm not a competitive applicant, which is partly due to a disability, so what I am counting on is my GRE (kind of) and my experience.

I'm in the midst of coping with a minor form of epilepsy, major depression, and a few anxiety disorders, so along with school, that takes up some of my time. However, when I'm not dealing with school and those things, I love to hang out with friends, talk about goats, and talk about my cat. The latter two always seem to come up in conversation with strangers, even when I'm at a bar (maybe that's why I have such a hard time dating...).

My main reason for writing on here: when I'm not with friends, I obsess over Demi Lovato. Are there any other Lovatics on here?!?!?!? teehee :)

:hello:
:D
My university has a pretty big research goat farm! I find it funny, bc we have animal specific classes for everything.. Except the goats, which is what we have on the farm. :laugh:

:hungover:
my university has a pretty big research goat farm! I find it funny, bc we have animal specific classes for everything.. Except the goats, which is what we have on the farm. :laugh:

do you have nigerian dwarf goats?!?!?

do you have nigerian dwarf goats?!?!?

To be honest I'm not sure lol, I know we have Kiko's and Spanish goats.. I think I remember them saying we have over 10 varieties at the farm.. The guy over the farm is kinda bleh, so I avoided the goat farm.. I spent more time at the poultry house :laugh:

To be honest I'm not sure lol, I know we have Kiko's and Spanish goats.. I think I remember them saying we have over 10 varieties at the farm.. The guy over the farm is kinda bleh, so I avoided the goat farm.. I spent more time at the poultry house :laugh:

Aw! Well, if you like goats anyway, have you ever heard of Buttermilk? She's a Nigerian Dwarf goat from a farm sanctuary in Maine, and a video about her on youtube went viral a few months ago! She's hysterical. If you ever need a good laugh, you should watch it. It's called: Buttermilk "plays" with her "friends"

Aw! Well, if you like goats anyway, have you ever heard of Buttermilk? She's a Nigerian Dwarf goat from a farm sanctuary in Maine, and a video about her on youtube went viral a few months ago! She's hysterical. If you ever need a good laugh, you should watch it. It's called: Buttermilk "plays" with her "friends"

Checking it out now :D

I love to hang out with friends, talk about goats, and talk about my cat. The latter two always seem to come up in conversation with strangers, even when I'm at a bar (maybe that's why I have such a hard time dating...).

Are you me?! I have to make a point on dates to remind myself not to say anything related to goats or cats. With the added pressure that is a first date, I will not be able to stop talking about them if I start. I have learned this many times over, heh.

One of the very few reasons I will buy a house at some point in my life is that landlords don't usually love goats. :laugh:

I have watched this video at least ten times. I love it.

Hi all! I've decided to stop lurking about the forums and actually post something. I am a first time applicant; I applied to Oregon State, WSU, CSU, and UC Davis. I am a fairly recent graduate of Skidmore College with a BA in Environmental Science (don't get me started on NY's silly rules and how science majors graduate with a BA instead of a BS). I am enjoying my year off working at an amazing ER and ICU SA animal hospital in my home town of Portland, OR.

I'm interested in pursuing equine medicine once in vet school, but at the time being am really enjoying working in an ER setting, so we'll see if that changes. When I'm not working I try to enjoy the beautiful (and often rainy) Pacific NW by hiking, kayaking, etc. I do not currently own any animals of my own (other than my kitty cat who resides with my mother until I live somewhere that allows cats), but I'm hoping to adopt a dog in the near future!

I just got my snail mail interview offer at Washington and am counting down the days to my interview at UC Davis at next Friday.

Hi all! I've decided to stop lurking about the forums and actually post something. I am a first time applicant; I applied to Oregon State, WSU, CSU, and UC Davis. I am a fairly recent graduate of Skidmore College with a BA in Environmental Science (don't get me started on NY's silly rules and how science majors graduate with a BA instead of a BS). I am enjoying my year off working at an amazing ER and ICU SA animal hospital in my home town of Portland, OR.

I'm interested in pursuing equine medicine once in vet school, but at the time being am really enjoying working in an ER setting, so we'll see if that changes. When I'm not working I try to enjoy the beautiful (and often rainy) Pacific NW by hiking, kayaking, etc. I do not currently own any animals of my own (other than my kitty cat who resides with my mother until I live somewhere that allows cats), but I'm hoping to adopt a dog in the near future!

I just got my snail mail interview offer at Washington and am counting down the days to my interview at UC Davis at next Friday.

Dove Lewis ?!?

I love Portland! I had my national tournament for water polo held in Gresham one year (which is apparently right outside of Portland) and it was so beautiful. We were able to go over to the base of Mt. Hood, and see a really cool waterfall! I don't remember the name of the waterfall, but it has cool bridges. Every time I watch Grimm I think it would be so cool to live in Portland. You live in the perfect place for hiking and kayaking : } Good luck with your interviews! I am also interviewing at Davis and WSU.

Congrats and nice to meet you!

I love Portland! I had my national tournament for water polo held in Gresham one year (which is apparently right outside of Portland) and it was so beautiful. We were able to go over to the base of Mt. Hood, and see a really cool waterfall! I don't remember the name of the waterfall, but it has cool bridges. Every time I watch Grimm I think it would be so cool to live in Portland. You live in the perfect place for hiking and kayaking : } Good luck with your interviews! I am also interviewing at Davis and WSU.

Congrats and nice to meet you!

Hmm, I'm not quite sure which waterfall but we have so many gorgeous ones its hard to know. Grimm is one of my favorite shows, partially because it's fun to recognize places I've been. My friend and I had a mini freak-out when we walked past the actor who plays Detective Griffin at the mall. Thanks, good luck with your interviews too!

I'm jealous.. Lol .. I love their videos!! I would looove to get into an emergency/icu clinic!

Yeah, it's been an awesome job so far. More emotionally trying than the day practice I worked at before, but definitely worth it. One of the job perks is a free premium membership to On the Floor so I spend quite a bit of free time watching their videos.

Yeah, it's been an awesome job so far. More emotionally trying than the day practice I worked at before, but definitely worth it. One of the job perks is a free premium membership to On the Floor so I spend quite a bit of free time watching their videos.

I would looove for the clinic I work at to get a membership... But it's a big corporate practice... They are anti everything that is not their brand name lol <---- loosers!!!

Being in Portland I bet u can guess who they are lol

Are you me?! I have to make a point on dates to remind myself not to say anything related to goats or cats. With the added pressure that is a first date, I will not be able to stop talking about them if I start. I have learned this many times over, heh.

One of the very few reasons I will buy a house at some point in my life is that landlords don't usually love goats. :laugh:

I have watched this video at least ten times. I love it.

It's hard to stop talking about them though! The way I see it is this: I'm never going to stop talking about cats and goats, so if you don't like it on the first date, you'll never like me haha! And regarding buttermilk, she has her own official facebook page! ("Buttermilk Sky, Internet Phenom)...she posts all sorts of adorable pictures on there!
I'm from a city so I never get the chance to play with goats :(

I guess I'm emerging from the shadows too. I've posted a couple of times, but not too many. I have read a lot of threads and stalked a few of you :) I am a Junior at a small private college in PA, which I commute to from Northern MD. I will be applying this coming fall, and I have a 3.86 GPA, 500 hours of Equine, Small and Exotic vet hours, so many hours of animal experience. I am part of the pre-vet club at my school.

I didn't really figure out that I wanted to be a vet for sure until freshman year, so I had a late start getting veterinary shadowing hours. I took vet med courses in high school which definitely made me consider being a vet for the first time. If I don't get in on the first try I will probably try to get a Masters before applying again. This Winter I am headed for ER experience and cattle experience, and next semester I'm getting into research. Hopefully the wide range of experiences will give my application a good boost! Taking the GRE for the first time this Winter too :) I also write a blog in my spare time. Nice to meet all of you!

Hello. I am a non-traditional student (39 years old), who just went back to college 3 years ago. Biology major, minor in medical microbiology. Graduating December 2013. I am looking to go into mixed practice or infectious disease work. Haven't quite made up my mind on that one.

GPA: 3.53
GRE: haven't taken yet

Animal Experience:

500 hours vet assistant in small animal clinic
200 hours student research working with mice, rats, hamsters, rabbits and chinchillas.
150 hours wildlife rehab work
1000 + hours training therapy dogs
6,000 + hours small animal care as owner of a pet sitting company for 3 years.
spent 10 summers working on a dairy farm milking and caring for cows
raise my own heritage breed chickens

I have applied to the Tufts AVM program for next summer, but won't hear back from them until after the holidays. Hello to all the other pre-vet majors! Are there any other non-traditional students out there? I'm probably the oldest, lol.

hey guys!

I just found out about this website today!

I am currently a senior at cal poly pomona, majoring in animal science. I applied to a lot of schools including UPenn, Davis, MSU, Minnesota, UPEI, RVC, purdue (just to name a few). I recently got an acceptance letter to RVC for the four year program :D, and I also got an interview to Davis!!

My current gpa is 3.78 and I ONLY have 600 hours total working with animals/vet. So if you don't have that many hours, there is still hope!! And as for my gre... i didn't do to well.

But anyways, I was just exploring this forum and I just fell in love with you guys that I just had to post something!

hey guys!

I just found out about this website today!

I am currently a senior at cal poly pomona, majoring in animal science. I applied to a lot of schools including UPenn, Davis, MSU, Minnesota, UPEI, RVC, purdue (just to name a few). I recently got an acceptance letter to RVC for the four year program :D, and I also got an interview to Davis!!

My current gpa is 3.78 and I ONLY have 600 hours total working with animals/vet. So if you don't have that many hours, there is still hope!! And as for my gre... i didn't do to well.

But anyways, I was just exploring this forum and I just fell in love with you guys that I just had to post something!

Nice to meet you foodork! I know a few people who went to CP Pomona and they liked it : ] Congrats on the RVC acceptances! Hopefully you will have a few choices.

Hey everyone, since I discovered this forum last moth I've become an avid forum reader. I've finally decided I should join and introduce myself :)

I'm a non school leaver (I think you call it non traditional student over in the US?) from Australia with a BSc in conservation and wildlife biology/zoolgy and an MSc in zoology. After finishing my MSc this year I decided it was finally time for me to apply for admission into veterinary science courses.

I've been volunteering with a wildlife shelter since 2006 and also help my mum out who is a wildlife foster carer. I've also assisted countless numbers of zoology students on their projects while at uni (most involved capturing and handling of animals). I've performed work experience at a large veterinary practice and was offered a job afterward looking after the boarding cats. I was also fortunate enough to be offered lab work while at uni which, to my surprise, I really enjoyed.

I have applied for The University of Melbourne's 4 year graduate DVM program as well as The University of Sydney, Murdoch University, The University of Queensland and James Cook University (all of which are bachelor degrees).

That's about it, it's nice to meet you all!

Hello. I am a non-traditional student (39 years old), who just went back to college 3 years ago. Biology major, minor in medical microbiology. Graduating December 2013. I am looking to go into mixed practice or infectious disease work. Haven't quite made up my mind on that one.

Animal Experience:

200 hours student research working with mice, rats, hamsters, rabbits and chinchillas.

I have applied to the Tufts AVM program for next summer, but won't hear back from them until after the holidays. Hello to all the other pre-vet majors! Are there any other non-traditional students out there? I'm probably the oldest, lol.
Hello! The Tufts Program is awesome, I attended it the last year of high school and it really exposed me to all the different fields within vet medicine.. The campus is gorgeous! Good luck and nice to meet you! :)

Animal Experience:

Fellow non-trad here! I did Tufts' AVM progam two years ago and had a lot of fun. Since I was taking college courses, I couldn't do the "adult" session (it was in the middle of April or something) so I had to do one of the "college" sessions in the summer. While I was definitely the oldest person there, it was still a really great experience. I had some slightly different questions to ask during the financial aid talk (what about my 401k? Husbands income? etc.), everyone was incredibly helpful and sooo nice. Have a great time!

Animal Experience:

Welcome Gemgrrrl!! I'm non-traditional as well (originally got my degree in engineering). I am younger than you (25) but there are several people around your age in the forum! :)

Fellow non-trad here! I did Tufts' AVM progam two years ago and had a lot of fun. Since I was taking college courses, I couldn't do the "adult" session (it was in the middle of April or something) so I had to do one of the "college" sessions in the summer. While I was definitely the oldest person there, it was still a really great experience. I had some slightly different questions to ask during the financial aid talk (what about my 401k? Husbands income? etc.), everyone was incredibly helpful and sooo nice. Have a great time!

I am going to the college session as well. The adult session is during finals week. I know I'll be the oldest there, but I'm used to it having taken so many undergrads at my age. I've heard other non-traditionals say they have a tough time with it, but I usually get along with everyone. :)

When do you apply? Do you think the AVM program is helping you?

Another new person...have been lurking the last month as you all talk about interviews...

I graduated from UNR this May with my BS in Animal Science (hi Abney :p) and now I'm taking grad level classes and working with a professor.

I work in a SA clinic and will start apps on Master's degrees soon as my plan B.

I have one terrier mutt Frankie and I have been constantly on the lookout for a Boston Terrier.

I'm anxiously waiting to hear back from WSU, Oregon, Ohio, Kansas, Colorado, and Oklahoma!!!!

:uhno:

And I really like these smiley faces!

Another new person...have been lurking the last month as you all talk about interviews...

I graduated from UNR this May with my BS in Animal Science (hi Abney :p) and now I'm taking grad level classes and working with a professor.

I work in a SA clinic and will start apps on Master's degrees soon as my plan B.

I have one terrier mutt Frankie and I have been constantly on the lookout for a Boston Terrier.

I'm anxiously waiting to hear back from WSU, Oregon, Ohio, Kansas, Colorado, and Oklahoma!!!!

:uhno:

And I really like these smiley faces!

I didn't even know UNR had animal science! My cousin and about 6 of my friends from HS are going there now :)

They don't anymore :( it got cut. Now there's a "pre-vet" degree but with much fewer animal-specific classes available.

Hey guys! I have posted on the forums a few times before, but I thought I should actually introduce myself on here at some point. lol I'm a senior Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences major at Penn State. I'm a first time applicant this year (I found this site while googling info on vet schools earlier this year).

So far, I have applied to UPenn, Cornell, Tufts, VMRVCM, Iowa State, Auburn, and Purdue. I haven't heard anything from any of them, so hopefully I don't have to wait to much longer to get some (hopefully good!) news. I'm betting on UPenn the most since its my IS.

As far as my future career, I would like to open my own mixed animal practice, and also specialize in small exotic animal and avian medicine. There seems to be a shortage of those in my area (and vets in general), so hopefully that'll help my app. Although I'm also hoping to join the military first to get rid of some of that debt. The amount of debt for vet school will forever scare the crap outta me....

Hobbies: Horseback riding, piano, skiing, archery... and pretty much anything outdoors. I'm a vegetarian! Any vegs on here?!?! That's about it, besides trying to stay calm and destress while studying for finals and waiting for vet school emails. Hopefully I'll finally get more time in the coming week to post on here. :)

They don't anymore :( it got cut. Now there's a "pre-vet" degree but with much fewer animal-specific classes available.

aww darn. well at least you got it before it was cut! :D

Animal Experience:

Hello gem,

Welcome!! Nah, you aren't the oldest....I'm right there with you at 39 YO. I finished my 2nd B.S. in August 2012 (Biology w/Ag minor).

I'm considering mixed as well but do like the small/exotic that I currently do. Feel free to ask any questions. Ppl are pretty nice around here. :D