Invaluable advice to incoming med student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Glad someone found that useful. I have a bunch of other random thoughts about M1. Maybe I'll write some more if I have time.

This was gold. Thanks for the good info.

Members don't see this ad.

My advice: Don't listen to people's "invaluable advice."

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice: Don't listen to people's "invaluable advice."
Do what works for you. Some of the real fanatical study plans would have made me go insane. It took me a while to realize that I should study how I study best.

My Advice to any incoming M1:

.............GET OFF THIS SITE

The information in the SDN forums can be useful sometimes, but keep in mind that the major user base on this site are application-stage undergrads and M1s. Do not take advice from this user pool.

Bump! Read every single post. Very insightful. Thanks to everyone who took the time to post their ideas!!

Stop worrying about other people's experiences and learn on your own. Use the time before starting first year to travel. Your life will be full of medicine for the next 4 years +, that extra reading for 1-2 months will not help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't trust anyone.

This is not only advice for medical school, but advice for life.

Lol. Winning.
Seeing this username...
Don't trust anyone.This is not only advice for medical school, but advice for life.
...and the above advice totally reminds me of the season 2 episode of GoT where Shea tells Sansa not to trust anyone, not just in King's Landing, but in life.

/dorkiness
dork.jpg

Seeing this username...

...and the above advice totally reminds me of the season 2 episode of GoT where Shea tells Sansa not to trust anyone, not just in King's Landing, but in life.QUOTE]

GoT FTW

I will hurt you for this. I don't know how yet, but give me time. A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you will know the debt is paid.

prehaps we should sticky this? (mods?)

I will hurt you for this. I don't know how yet, but give me time. A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you will know the debt is paid.

Poor poor Tyroin...love ASOIAF!

Seeing this username...

...and the above advice totally reminds me of the season 2 episode of GoT where Shea tells Sansa not to trust anyone, not just in King's Landing, but in life.

GoT FTW
:love:
hipstergameofthrones-3-eb.jpg

strong username to post content ratio

The advice about books in this thread is helpful. Does anyone know if editions matter at all with most of the review books as long as they're less than five years old? Are there any subjects where using an old edition would be a problem?

Also, a Lannister always pays his debts, unless he does IRB (Edit: IBR).

Last edited:
strong username to post content ratio

Shut up.

The advice about books in this thread is helpful. Does anyone know if editions matter at all with most of the review books as long as they're less than five years old? Are there any subjects where using an old edition would be a problem?

Also, a Lannister always pays his debts, unless he does IRB.

This man speaks the truth.

editions don't really matter - with that said, some books have gone from no color to color - that's a big deal. If you ask about specific books you'll get better answers. Also depends on the topic - anatomy is good 5 years ago, molecular bio is not.

editions don't really matter - with that said, some books have gone from no color to color - that's a big deal. If you ask about specific books you'll get better answers. Also depends on the topic - anatomy is good 5 years ago, molecular bio is not.
Very helpful. Thanks!

Shut up.

This man speaks the truth.

Very helpful. Thanks!

you lannisters are slowly forming a small army.

Try to be at the very least friendly with your classmates. Med school's hard as it is; you might as well enjoy the people you're doing it with. A supportive environment with people who understand what you're going through will make things much more bearable.

Don't groom yourself and always look sleep deprived on rotations that you don't care about. It'll give the false appearance that you're trying hard despite that you're just doing something else, and you may get sympathy.
I learned this early on, but I have also been the only student on each rotation except for inpatient IM. 23 students at my base, don't know how I got that schedule.

Don't groom yourself and always look sleep deprived on rotations that you don't care about. It'll give the false appearance that you're trying hard despite that you're just doing something else, and you may get sympathy.
I learned this early on, but I have also been the only student on each rotation except for inpatient IM. 23 students at my base, don't know how I got that schedule.
:laugh: This is going in my signature for a few months, freakin' classic!

If you like rap music, continue to listen to it. People will look at you funny when you pull into the hospital with your rap music blaring, but whatever. Don't let med school be the reason you stopped listening to rap music.

awesome advices!!!

(making a quick reply so I can come back for it in the future)

If you like rap music, continue to listen to it. People will look at you funny when you pull into the hospital with your rap music blaring, but whatever. Don't let med school be the reason you stopped listening to rap music.
Or death metal, don't stop being metal just because you're a physician.

On that note, I remember an episode of Trauma Life in the ER where one EM doc pulled in with a few 12s in his trunk thumping some good 'ole gansta rap, reminded me of David Herman (Michael Bolton) in Office Space:

[YOUTUBE]GKlDBi0cyIA[/YOUTUBE]

I listen to JT all the time. One time I was at the library and didn't know my headphones weren't plugged in all the way in my laptop and blared a song. The girls looked at me like "wtf"

I'm like "What? Tell me he's not awesome"

Also - advice - get yourself on the liver transplant list.

i listen to jt all the time. One time i was at the library and didn't know my headphones weren't plugged in all the way in my laptop and blared a song. the girls looked at me like "wtf" omg, he's so friggin' hot! Let's jump him!
i'm like "what? Tell me he's not awesome" yeeeeeeeuh! :cool:

also - advice - get yourself on the liver transplant list.

ftfy ;)

Establish boundaries between your personal and professional life. Buy dress shirts during the summer when they're on sale. Spend the money on an extra book if it's going to help you with a class.

Establish boundaries between your personal and professional life. Buy dress shirts during the summer when they're on sale. Spend the money on an extra book if it's going to help you with a class.

You write book...but I see block as in -

STIBLOCK6-01.jpg

i think new editions can be helpful but only for certain books. i know the immunology book we were forced to use required us to buy the newest edition bc it had many changes, including additional chapters, from the previous edition.

also, do what keeps you sane, if your school is pass/fail the first 2 years, that is best. step 1 matters a whole lot more than getting 90's on exams your PhD professors write. better to get 70's but 250 on step 1 than 90's and then 230 on step 1.