Invaluable advice to incoming med student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Tac, you were actually correct.

I WAS in the Class of 2014, and for unrelated reasons requested and was approved for a deferral. I am now class of 2015 :)

How can we effectively post-stalk you if you don't keep us apprised of your plans young man?!

How can we effectively post-stalk you if you don't keep us apprised of your plans young man?!
I am sorry. Maybe I can request another year-long deferral if this year of pre-studying isn't enough ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sorry. Maybe I can request another year-long deferral if this year of pre-studying isn't enough ;)

I like your plan. I think you need about 10 years of pre-studying before you can start. On a more serious note, I would rather spend my time doing things that I may not have the opportunity to do for the next decade. Thousands of students before us have went through medical school without pre-studying; I think we can too.

I haven't read all of these pages, but I thought I would add/emphasize my advice...

It seems like most med students go in thinking that they will be in the "top" part of the class (10%, 25%, 50%). Not everyone is going to be in the top. It doesn't actually make you stupid - med school tests memorization in the first couple years, and little else. The fact is, the difference between people could be just a handful of questions... stop worrying about that now. You probably won't, but please try.

Just in general, try not to worry about things that you don't need to. Worry about passing, try to learn everything you can, and engage in extracurriculars that you actually enjoy. Choose just a couple activities (clubs, volunteering, research) that you want to do and stick with them. They should be encouraging and fun, not time-sucking and miserable. That's what classes are for!

I haven't read all of these pages, but I thought I would add/emphasize my advice...

It seems like most med students go in thinking that they will be in the "top" part of the class (10%, 25%, 50%). Not everyone is going to be in the top. It doesn't actually make you stupid - med school tests memorization in the first couple years, and little else. The fact is, the difference between people could be just a handful of questions... stop worrying about that now. You probably won't, but please try.

Just in general, try not to worry about things that you don't need to. Worry about passing, try to learn everything you can, and engage in extracurriculars that you actually enjoy. Choose just a couple activities (clubs, volunteering, research) that you want to do and stick with them. They should be encouraging and fun, not time-sucking and miserable. That's what classes are for!

Ha I am incoming this fall, and wondered about the activities. There a re a couple that I think I would find interesting but I am scared it activities may be draining, so thanks for the advice :)

After spending a good chunk of time reading through these posts, I have developed a plan for what to do the summer before medical school. Just as a note, I am starting med school in a little over a month. Go class of 2015!

1) Get personal life in order. I think sideways said it best.
The best thing to do to prepare for medical school is to get your personal life in order.

Have any bad habits? Start breaking them now.

Don't exercise? Start figuring out a good exercise program and begin doing it.

Eat like crap? Learn to make easy and healthy meals.

Have any mental issues? Work on 'em.

2) Read books about medicine or other things that interest you. I do not mean to spend time reading medical textbooks. However, I think reading in general is an important activity. Maintaining some degree of academia throughout your life can never hurt you and is pretty much required of physicians. I've started reading books about various non-academic aspects of medicine and two books recommended on this thread. The first is "Iserson's Getting Into a Residency: A Guide for Medical Students, 7th Edition." The second book is "First Aid for the Match, Fifth Edition." I'm reading these books because it's important to have a general idea of what we're getting ourselves into in four years. We've made it into medical school and we also have to make it into a residency, hopefully, of our choice. We might as well get the gears turning in our heads and have residency in the back of our minds. As several people have said on this thread, it's better to go through medical school preparing for a really competitive residency than to notice you have unfortunate shortcomings during fourth year and can't get into the residency of your choice.

3) Study basic anatomy. I didn't have anatomy in undergrad, so I'm at a disadvantage. I don't recall any schools in the MSAR recommending or requiring that students take anatomy. I could be wrong about this, but I'm just recalling what I read when I was going through the MSAR. To help me study some basic and relevant anatomy, I got a book called "Clinical Anatomy Made Ridiculously Simple." As some of the posters have said on this thread, it doesn't hurt to get your self-confidence up by learning some basic anatomy.

4) Most importantly, have fun! I've recently been kayaking, gone to golf ranges, gone on small road trips, watched a plethora of movies, spent lots of time with friends and family, etc. I think it's a really good idea to just have fun before school starts. Some might ask how I am doing the above things while goofing off. Well, goofing off takes priority when the opportunity arises, but when I'm in the mood for reading or have down time, doing any of the above is a good use of time.

These are just my plans. Have a fun summer. :cool:

Best of luck to everyone!!! :luck:

Med Students: anything you had wish you had known prior to starting med school? Any tops or tricks to help a newcomer? anything you had wished you had known?

Members don't see this ad :)
1294185933663.gif

Med Students: anything you had wish you had known prior to starting med school? Any tops or tricks to help a newcomer? anything you had wished you had known?

Never could think of one best answer for this.

1. Med school makes good relationships better, and bad relationships worse.

2. It starts, it's rough for a lot of people for awhile, and then you acclimate to it. You won't be the first brand-new M1, and you won't be the last.

3. It's easier than you think to get swayed by what other people are doing in med school -- flash cards, review sheets, whatever. Screw all that. You find what's most efficient for YOU, and stick with it.

No matter how much you shadowed or volunteered, the practice of medicine is not what you think it is. In today's world a minority of your time is spent "helping others" and a majority is spent doing COA paperwork so that you can get reimbursed for 50% of the work you do.

3. It's easier than you think to get swayed by what other people are doing in med school -- flash cards, review sheets, whatever. Screw all that. You find what's most efficient for YOU, and stick with it.

As a caveat, if "what's most efficient for you" is not working, don't be afraid of trying what other people are doing.

No matter how much you shadowed or volunteered, the practice of medicine is not what you think it is. In today's world a minority of your time is spent "helping others" and a majority is spent doing COA paperwork so that you can get reimbursed for 50% of the work you do.

False on both accounts. Before posting a rant on an internet forum because you are upset at something, think about the purpose of this particular thread.

False on both accounts. Before posting a rant on an internet forum because you are upset at something, think about the purpose of this particular thread.

Actually, I thought it was very good advice. There's so much bureaucracy and red tape in medicine, much more than I ever thought when I was a premed or even a med student. I like being a doctor, but it truly was disappointing to see just HOW MUCH paperwork there really is.

Upset that medicine consists of more paperwork than it does time spent seeing and helping patients? Upset because most practices end up getting reimbursed for 50% of the work they bill for? I'm not sure how this is counter to the purpose of the thread, because I honestly wish I had known this before I started medical school.

Upset that medicine consists of more paperwork than it does time spent seeing and helping patients? Upset because most practices end up getting reimbursed for 50% of the work they bill for? I'm not sure how this is counter to the purpose of the thread, because I honestly wish I had known this before I started medical school.

Data does not support your claims. I am sorry that you are having difficulties in whatever practice setting you're in. You may wish to consider a change of venue if possible. Are you still a medical student as your status states?

Data does not support your claims. I am sorry that you are having difficulties in whatever practice setting you're in. You may wish to consider a change of venue if possible. Are you still a medical student as your status states?

What data? Could you share? I'd genuinely love to see it.

What data? Could you share? I'd genuinely love to see it.

As far as time spent doing paperwork: http://www.annfammed.org/content/3/6/494.abstract. About 36% of the time is spent on non-patient care for the average office based practice. As far as reimbursements. I read an article several weeks ago concerning that topic. The gist was, you should reimburse what you expect to be payed. Constantly "fluffing" your codes vs what you actually do in the exam room will definitely get a lot of your claims turned down. Good administrators and ethical fee policies end up with about 10% or under claims being rejected insurance companies. When I find it I will post it. I do feel your pain about the ridiculous amount of paperwork. I am no fan of bureaucratic BS either. I have read about some Residency programs in which their residents spend over 6 hrs documenting per day. Talk about terrible computer systems they must have :laugh:. Average time spent documenting and what computer system is being used by the hospital will definitely be two questions top on my list come interview time.

1. read your lecture notes at least 3x before the exam.
2. dont buy the thick textbooks, you can get by with the condensed USMLE prep books like BRS phys, BRS biochem, Rapid Review path
3. dont have to attend every single lecture, watch the recorded lectures at your convenience and annotate the notes with info that the prof says will be on exam

Just finished reading every single post in this thread. It was interesting to see some people in like '03 who were pre meds who are close to finishing residencies now. A lot of the information about how to get ready for med school is the same, and so are the book lists. Having an acceptance for the class of 2016, hopefully we can revive this thread and keep it going for 2012+

So much good advice!

Take my advice, I'm an MS1 and I pre-studied before school. It was a complete waste of time to say the least.

I took a year off between college and medical school and did research and organized my living arrangements and life to prep for med school. The hours upon hours I spent "pre-studying" were a complete waste of time. (This is hard to believe, but it's true).

Spend your time doing research (trying to get a pub or connection with a PI that will help you) and do things that you wont have time to do once school starts.

You will greatly miss the free time before medical school once your first block of classes are over.

Take my advice, I'm an MS1 and I pre-studied before school. It was a complete waste of time to say the least.

I took a year off between college and medical school and did research and organized my living arrangements and life to prep for med school. The hours upon hours I spent "pre-studying" were a complete waste of time. (This is hard to believe, but it's true).

Spend your time doing research (trying to get a pub or connection with a PI that will help you) and do things that you wont have time to do once school starts.

You will greatly miss the free time before medical school once your first block of classes are over.

I've been out of school for two years and I'm starting med school this fall. People have told me to buy biochemistry and physiology books...so is it really not necessary? How much review did they lecture once you started your classes? I am just concerned because I really don't want to start off behind everyone else.

I've been out of school for two years and I'm starting med school this fall. People have told me to buy biochemistry and physiology books...so is it really not necessary? How much review did they lecture once you started your classes? I am just concerned because I really don't want to start off behind everyone else.

everyone will have strengths and weaknesses. If your weakness is biochemistry, it will be someone elses strength and they will help you through it. Then, when you are taking anatomy (or whatever class you are strong in), you will return the favor. There is no need to prestudy. You'll be able to learn everything they want you to know when they give it to you, but there is no way you can study what they want you to know before they tell you.

There will be plenty of people in your boat with 2 years off, and many with even more.

everyone will have strengths and weaknesses. If your weakness is biochemistry, it will be someone elses strength and they will help you through it. Then, when you are taking anatomy (or whatever class you are strong in), you will return the favor. There is no need to prestudy. You'll be able to learn everything they want you to know when they give it to you, but there is no way you can study what they want you to know before they tell you.

There will be plenty of people in your boat with 2 years off, and many with even more.

Good insight. Thanks!

Good insight. Thanks!

Ryan is correct. Take the time now to organize your life and make sure that when school starts you don't have distractions or annoyances. Make sure you square away your living arrangements and logistics.

Best of luck.

I agree with what the others said....I was out of school for 3 years and I didn't have any problems with this first year of med school........I was also thinking about prestudying to make sure that i wasnt behind everyone else but it really would have been a waste of time....You will study much more efficiently once your in medical school than you would trying to prestudy....You may have to study a little more than some of the others for certain subjects, but you will do fine...

I'm looking through a copy of netter's atlas and I am wondering if we have to know every single name and structure in this entire thing? Do we have to know all of those names of every single nerve, muscle, bone, in the entire body and be able to identify and label them? That's pretty overwhelming if that's true.

I'm looking through a copy of netter's atlas and I am wondering if we have to know every single name and structure in this entire thing? Do we have to know all of those names of every single nerve, muscle, bone, in the entire body and be able to identify and label them? That's pretty overwhelming if that's true.

Pretty much. Enjoy! :smuggrin:

It's worse than that. Although labeling a netter image isn't too bad try doing it on a real cadaver. You can't just look at stuff and say this is this. You actually have to understand the relationships (eg. "this passes over that") in order to identify many things.

It's worse than that. Although labeling a netter image isn't too bad try doing it on a real cadaver. You can't just look at stuff and say this is this. You actually have to understand the relationships (eg. "this passes over that") in order to identify many things.

If that's true, why does everyone say its bad to prestudy? At least by prestudying we can learn the names and identify them on the body so when we actually have to do it in the lab it will be a little easier knowing where the general idea of stuff is.

If that's true, why does everyone say its bad to prestudy? At least by prestudying we can learn the names and identify them on the body so when we actually have to do it in the lab it will be a little easier knowing where the general idea of stuff is.

Just don't man ppl aren't telling u this advice to screw u over and give u a bad start to school. I don't care what ur background/any special situation u have if u got into school ull b fine. Stop questioning people who actually have experience with this stuff and have been in ur shoes.. and if you think we're full of it go ahead and prestudy but stop coming into this forum every year and asking for advice and then questioning it like we have something to gain by telling u to not study before school starts. This is not just directed at u but other pre-M1s in general that I've seen on this forum recently doing the same thing.

This is what medical school is. It will get worse.

Don't prestudy. You'll learn it more completely with the cadaver. Trust us. I didn't prestudy and I destroyed anatomy. It just takes dedication once you start.

Here is a tip: stop looking in your future textbooks. It is causing needless anxiety. Relax until school starts.

That's true, but when you're not studying in a guided way like you will in med school, the efficiency of that study time goes way down -- which is why it's bad to prestudy. Much better to just enjoy your time beforehand. Yeah, it's a lot of info, but you will adjust better, and faster, than you think. I just started my fourth year, and I can honestly say I am beyond glad that I never tried to prestudy.

Have a beer and relax. It'll be just fine.

This is what medical school is. It will get worse.

Or better, depending on perspective. M2 was way more material than M1, but I liked it way more than M1. Actually, just the second half of M1 -- which was some M2-type stuff in our curriculum -- was more material but still much more enjoyable for my money.

Sure prestudy if you want but your efficiency will be approximately 1% of real medical student efficiency. I hope you have 100 years to make prestudying worthwhile.

Get drunk at class events where everyone else is sober

Drink from the faucet in Gross when no one else is looking.

Bring a fake family on family day and confuse everyone

I hope u daaaance

Just don't man ppl aren't telling u this advice to screw u over and give u a bad start to school. I don't care what ur background/any special situation u have if u got into school ull b fine. Stop questioning people who actually have experience with this stuff and have been in ur shoes.. and if you think we're full of it go ahead and prestudy but stop coming into this forum every year and asking for advice and then questioning it like we have something to gain by telling u to not study before school starts. This is not just directed at u but other pre-M1s in general that I've seen on this forum recently doing the same thing.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

It only took one person to tell me not to pre-study and I jumped for joy. I was a history and language major, and I did absolutely fine my M1 year not pre-studying. It DOES NOT MATTER. STOP DOING IT. Or at least, STOP TALKING TO MED STUDENTS ABOUT IT because we understand the importance of free time, doing nothing, and actually having the luxury of looking at a book and saying "NO! I will NOT open you right now! HA! I don't have to study you!" Enjoy. Life. Now. :)

I think I read this thread about a hundred times before I actually started school. Now since I finished M1 year a little while back I can contribute something.

1. Don't pre-study. It's been said a thousand times in a thousand threads. Don't. Please. For the love of god. I know, you're excited, I was too. I know you are anxious and worried about it. I was too. Trust me and everyone else- you will be fine. If you are smart enough to get in you're smart enough to pass. Med school isn't about IQ it's about being committed and diligence.

2. Balance- This is the real #1 piece of advice. It was the first thing our asst. dean said at our orientation and I really took it to heart. Although I wasn't like some of you crazies here on SDN never going to parties in college and doing nothing but pre-med I definitely had my fair share of depriving myself at points during college. You can't do that in medical school. You are not a robot. Stop "sacrificing" your life for medical school. You'll be healthy, happy, and a better physician for it. Your patients will thank you in the long run. Do not be that kid who does nothing but study. During M1 I joined several different Intramural sports teams, volunteered, went on trips etc etc. Sure some blocks suck more than others but don't ever let medical school completely dominate your life. It takes a lot of willpower and effort to let go of the anxiety to be the best. You're already in! Trust the system- you will become a competent physician. You can't learn all of medicine during 1st semester, so don't try. You have the rest of your life to learn medicine. Make sure you make time to exercise, date, and make friends with your classmates.

3. Studying- Remember the transition from high school to college? When you put in the same effort for that chem 101 test and got a B or a C and realized it wasn't going to cut it? Yeah, that's kind of what medical school is like in terms of transition. You have to learn how to learn again, so to speak. It took me all of first year to nail down my preferred method. Experiment. See what works, what doesn't. I had the majority of my system 'figured out' by second semester, but kept playing with it just to be 'sure'. Listen to what works for other people (so you know what to try) but don't get freaked out if someone goes over there notes 8 times and reads all the chapters. Just figure out what works for you and do it.
-Some corollaries

• Anatomy: this was the course I was most freaked out for. I KNEW I was going to struggle in it. Part of it was just not knowing how to study, and the other was just that anatomy was hard for me. You literally just have to immerse yourself in it. Study everyday. Note relationships. HY anatomy was money for me (i like the organization better than BRS). But do the BRS questions - if I got 50%> of those right I knew I was in passing range for my quizzes/exams.
  • Every course is a little different. Talk to your upperclassmen, they will be the most helpful for specific courses.
4. Don't go to class- okay, so this kind of contradicts #3 above. But most of the time class is a huge waste of time. If it works for you then great, ignore the rest. This is why class is a waste of time= wake up, eat breakfast, get ready, run out the door = 45 mins of extra sleep time you could have. In class, it's about 5 minutes of the professor fussing with the powerpoint/recording system/ intro slides/ jokes. +5 more minutes of stupid ass questions (everyone is at least like 22 years old right? learn how to f***ing look up information on your own and not waste everyones time). That's ~10 mins on average of a typical lecture just wasted. Plus the lectures may spend more time on stuff you understand (say, how a nerve fires) and then completely gloss over some important clinically relevant point. 4 hours of lecture (~200 mins) ? That's only ~80mins on 2.5 speed. That means even with you pausing to jot down notes/ wiki something you are still saving probably an hour / hour and half of time to actually *gasp* learn the material.

5. Exercise regularly - if you aren't on a routine now, start. Seriously, how can you tell your patients to eat healthy and exercise if you don't? Plus, I think that sweating after anatomy lab helps to get the smell off your skin (anecdotal i know). You'll have more energy, sleep better, and have more confidence. Just do it. It's worth it. You can take an hour out of your day to exercise.

6. Misc. - Learn how to cook good, healthy cheap meals. Make sure you budget your January rent in your fall budget because you probably won't get your 2nd dispersant until after 1/5 when the rents due. Don't be a douche. Help out your classmates as much as you can. Make friends, have fun!!! Try not to gossip to much. Oh and if you're single and lucky you'll probably hook up with one or more of your classmates at some point. Just don't make it a bigger deal than it is (this also goes back to 'don't gossip').

Starting medical school is a rough transition. No one really told me that before I started. For some of you your relationships are going to end, you're going to move across the country without knowing anyone for maybe the first time ever, etc etc. It's easy in the first few weeks to get depressed especially once you start feeling overwhelmed and stressed about school. I'm pretty sure 90% of my class felt the exact same way during 1st semester. You'll be fine, you'll make it through. I'm not saying it's easy, it's actually the toughest part (or was for me). Don't give up though.

In conclusion, I hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
After finishing first year, the techniques I found worked well for me are:

(1) Attend only mandatory class

(2) Keep yourself "on-the-clock"; I use an app to keep track of my length of time studying, stopping for ANY non-studying activity. That way I know exactly how much time I'm spending. It also helps me spend more time at home with my wife and son. By the end of the year, I was "working" 40 hours per week, increasing to ~50-60 during test weeks. When I hear others at school mention these marathon 80 hour weeks, I can only wonder if that time was occupied by SDN, facebook, etc.

(3) Make note of topics you don't quite understand well as you pass through the material (even if you have them memorized). At the end of the year you can go back and annotate this personal high-yield list and eventually use it for board studying.

I pre-studied :thumbdown: not a good idea, even if you have time to waste. Read medicine-related books written by doctors from different specialties to begin forming images of those fields in your mind.

Eh, I found class very helpful. Depends on if your school has half days with focus on small groups and self-study, or has classes from 8-5. Not sure if I would have went to all of them if they were all day...

I think I read this thread about a hundred times before I actually started school. Now since I finished M1 year a little while back I can contribute something.

1. Don't pre-study. It's been said a thousand times in a thousand threads. Don't. Please. For the love of god. I know, you're excited, I was too. I know you are anxious and worried about it. I was too. Trust me and everyone else- you will be fine. If you are smart enough to get in you're smart enough to pass. Med school isn't about IQ it's about being committed and diligence.

2. Balance- This is the real #1 piece of advice. It was the first thing our asst. dean said at our orientation and I really took it to heart. Although I wasn't like some of you crazies here on SDN never going to parties in college and doing nothing but pre-med I definitely had my fair share of depriving myself at points during college. You can't do that in medical school. You are not a robot. Stop "sacrificing" your life for medical school. You'll be healthy, happy, and a better physician for it. Your patients will thank you in the long run. Do not be that kid who does nothing but study. During M1 I joined several different Intramural sports teams, volunteered, went on trips etc etc. Sure some blocks suck more than others but don't ever let medical school completely dominate your life. It takes a lot of willpower and effort to let go of the anxiety to be the best. You're already in! Trust the system- you will become a competent physician. You can't learn all of medicine during 1st semester, so don't try. You have the rest of your life to learn medicine. Make sure you make time to exercise, date, and make friends with your classmates.

3. Studying- Remember the transition from high school to college? When you put in the same effort for that chem 101 test and got a B or a C and realized it wasn't going to cut it? Yeah, that's kind of what medical school is like in terms of transition. You have to learn how to learn again, so to speak. It took me all of first year to nail down my preferred method. Experiment. See what works, what doesn't. I had the majority of my system 'figured out' by second semester, but kept playing with it just to be 'sure'. Listen to what works for other people (so you know what to try) but don't get freaked out if someone goes over there notes 8 times and reads all the chapters. Just figure out what works for you and do it.
-Some corollaries

• Anatomy: this was the course I was most freaked out for. I KNEW I was going to struggle in it. Part of it was just not knowing how to study, and the other was just that anatomy was hard for me. You literally just have to immerse yourself in it. Study everyday. Note relationships. HY anatomy was money for me (i like the organization better than BRS). But do the BRS questions - if I got 50%> of those right I knew I was in passing range for my quizzes/exams.
  • Every course is a little different. Talk to your upperclassmen, they will be the most helpful for specific courses.
4. Don't go to class- okay, so this kind of contradicts #3 above. But most of the time class is a huge waste of time. If it works for you then great, ignore the rest. This is why class is a waste of time= wake up, eat breakfast, get ready, run out the door = 45 mins of extra sleep time you could have. In class, it's about 5 minutes of the professor fussing with the powerpoint/recording system/ intro slides/ jokes. +5 more minutes of stupid ass questions (everyone is at least like 22 years old right? learn how to f***ing look up information on your own and not waste everyones time). That's ~10 mins on average of a typical lecture just wasted. Plus the lectures may spend more time on stuff you understand (say, how a nerve fires) and then completely gloss over some important clinically relevant point. 4 hours of lecture (~200 mins) ? That's only ~80mins on 2.5 speed. That means even with you pausing to jot down notes/ wiki something you are still saving probably an hour / hour and half of time to actually *gasp* learn the material.

5. Exercise regularly - if you aren't on a routine now, start. Seriously, how can you tell your patients to eat healthy and exercise if you don't? Plus, I think that sweating after anatomy lab helps to get the smell off your skin (anecdotal i know). You'll have more energy, sleep better, and have more confidence. Just do it. It's worth it. You can take an hour out of your day to exercise.

6. Misc. - Learn how to cook good, healthy cheap meals. Make sure you budget your January rent in your fall budget because you probably won't get your 2nd dispersant until after 1/5 when the rents due. Don't be a douche. Help out your classmates as much as you can. Make friends, have fun!!! Try not to gossip to much. Oh and if you're single and lucky you'll probably hook up with one or more of your classmates at some point. Just don't make it a bigger deal than it is (this also goes back to 'don't gossip').

Starting medical school is a rough transition. No one really told me that before I started. For some of you your relationships are going to end, you're going to move across the country without knowing anyone for maybe the first time ever, etc etc. It's easy in the first few weeks to get depressed especially once you start feeling overwhelmed and stressed about school. I'm pretty sure 90% of my class felt the exact same way during 1st semester. You'll be fine, you'll make it through. I'm not saying it's easy, it's actually the toughest part (or was for me). Don't give up though.

In conclusion, I hope this helps!

This was gold. Thanks for the good info.