Invertebrae zoology - Yes or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalLonghorn2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As a post bac student, I want to take as many upper level biology classes as possible to increase my chances with the next cycle. The school I will be at is offering invertebrae zoology. Will this be recommended to take? Or is this class mainly recommended for pre-vet majors?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Only if you can't take immuno, cello bio, biochem, A&P or A or P, micro, neuro, pharm...anything that would be more relevant.

Only if you can't take immuno, cello bio, biochem, A&P or A or P, micro, neuro, pharm...anything that would be more relevant.
I will be able to take all of those course you just mentioned (ive already taken some of those classes with the exception of pharmacology since its not offered). Appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
If there's a vertebrate anatomy class, that would probably be better. But any of the aforementioned classes would be more relevant to dental school than invertebrate zoology.

If there's a vertebrate anatomy class, that would probably be better. But any of the aforementioned classes would be more relevant to dental school than invertebrate zoology.

Gotcha. See, what I'm afraid of is taking all of those classes and it may not be enough to help gain an acceptance. I was told to do either a post bac or masters. as long as I do well, it shouldn't matter what I choose. Actually, let me rephrase that. I'm afraid that I won't have any more classes to take to raise my gpa (overall 3.01ish and science is about a 2.8ish). Sighs.

If you can't raise your GPA enough with all those classes, you should do a masters.

If you can't raise your GPA enough with all those classes, you should do a masters.

By the time I apply, I will have 40-52 credits of post bac. I know its no guarantee for an interview but this is assuming I can obtain a DAT score of 22+ right?

Actually you could have a huge upswing trend taking all those postbacc classes + solid DAT and you could probably get some interviews

Actually you could have a huge upswing trend taking all those postbacc classes + solid DAT and you could probably get some interviews

I'm just going to do my best and hope for the best.

Appreciate it!

Hi everyone,

As a post bac student, I want to take as many upper level biology classes as possible to increase my chances with the next cycle. The school I will be at is offering invertebrae zoology. Will this be recommended to take? Or is this class mainly recommended for pre-vet majors?

Thank you.
Don't take zoo. It won't help for the exam. Histo, anatomy, biochem, physiology, immuno, and microbio will help improve your DAT bio section.

^ I disagree with that - it does help some for the DAT. But I agree that OP shouldn't take it, because he can get all the Zoo info he needs in Ferali's or Alan's Notes.

Reactions: 1 user
It was pretty hard for me. I don't recommend it.

Invert Zoology teaches you so much about research models, diseases, arthropods, and most importantly evolution/phylogeny. I literally had 4 bio questions on my DAT that I answered based on what I knew from this class (echinoderms, arthropods, disease vectors, etc) . One of my essays from RC also had related questions, but the class is really quite tough. I took it as a high level biology, but be sure you leave room to take micro, biochem, human anatomy etc.