Iowa - Away Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyeguyhopeful

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting my away rotation at Iowa next month and super nervous.

This is my dream program so maybe I am overthinking it lol. If anyone here has rotated here before, do you have any tips or advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One of the best! Was incredibly fortunate to interview at some top places (Bascom, UCLA, Hopkins), loved Iowa the most. Ranked it number 1 but unfortunately didn’t match here. Still very grateful to match at my number 2.

My friend did an away here. He loved it. Very easygoing. Just be polite and enthusiastic and have basic understanding of common diseases (read ophthobook, eyeguru, eyerounds) look up important studies (some of them listed in eyeguru) and that’s it. The residents will likely teach you how to use a slit lamp if you haven’t used one. Learn how to check pressures with tonopen (very easy), check pupils for APD, confrontation visual fields. Ask to do these if you can. Get better at the dilated fundus exam and finding disc/macula. Basically same advice as any other away. But overall, they don’t expect anything from what I heard. You can try to contribute to Eyerounds! Ask the resident or attending if they have an interesting case or review article in mind. No grand rounds presentation required (I believe).

Overall, just have fun and be friendly and nice.

Last edited: