Iowa Carver 2012 Status?

Started by hawkeye12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea I wasn't sure where the numbers were coming from either. Judging by the OOS tuiton, you're looking at 40k for tuition + 15k for misc. (books, room & board, etc.), that's 55k a year. So, for your entire education there you're looking at ~220,000 in debt as an OOS student unless you get some kind of scholarship. I guess 220,000$ is not that outrageous compared to some schools, but it's still pricey nonetheless.


Yes, but they also said a typical financial aid package was 30% scholarships and 70% loans. I think OOS tend to get more help because the cost is higher. At the average 30%, the debt would be a little over $130,000 if a person took out all the money listed for personal expenses. The amount allowed for living expenses is around $1,400/month. I think most people can live in Iowa City for much less than this.
 
Has anyone received an acceptance letter recently? I heard a rumor that the committee was meeting this week and acceptances might be mailed out. If anyone receives a letter, please keep me posted. 🙂
 
Has anyone received an acceptance letter recently? I heard a rumor that the committee was meeting this week and acceptances might be mailed out. If anyone receives a letter, please keep me posted. 🙂

That makes two of us.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anybody who interviewed on the 26th heard anything yet? Its killing me.😕
 
Got a decision today via USPS dated 12-18. Hope you all get a Christmas present a bit early.
 
interviewed 12/7 and I live in NY state. Hope this helps. This process is stressful.
 
Just got an acceptance on 12/20 (OOS), and I interviewed way back in early/mid November.
Congrats to those who got acceptances! I've been out of town since thursday. I hope I get some good news when I finally check my mail next week.
 
Got a decision today via USPS dated 12-18. Hope you all get a Christmas present a bit early.
Hey....December 7th.....that was diversity day right?...congratulations......I am really happy for you. how diverse did you think the student body at Carver is based on your interview experience?

Thanks
 
I did not really see the whole student body at one time all together. But they did say that about 15(don't quote me on that) percent of the class is from groups underrepresented in medicine. I really loved the school. The people were the best part. The students are down to earth and happy. The faculty seemed unbelievably supportive and friendly. In talking with current students they said even the clinical physicians go out of their way to make time for medical students of any year. If you have any other questions let me know. Best of luck in your application process.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did not really see the whole student body at one time all together. But they did say that about 15(don't quote me on that) percent of the class is from groups underrepresented in medicine. I really loved the school. The people were the best part. The students are down to earth and happy. The faculty seemed unbelievably supportive and friendly. In talking with current students they said even the clinical physicians go out of their way to make time for medical students of any year. If you have any other questions let me know. Best of luck in your application process.

First of all, congrats to all acceptances. Secondly, I would like to.....well, second the idea that the clinical physicians are accomodating to the med students. The students I spoke with mentioned the physicians are usually willing to let you shadow and others are more than willing to let you do research with them. Even though the hospital is a maze, it seems like a great facility with great staff.
 
Got acceptance letter (smail) Dec 10th dated the 4th. Interviewed Nov 16th. I am OOS and a little worried about tuition, but I loved the school! Good luck to those waiting!

And a friend of mine interviewed Dec 7th and got an acceptance letter Dec 26th in Cali. :hardy:
 
Has anyone from the November 26th interview heard anything yet? I see that some people who interviewed after that date have received letters, but I haven't seen anything from anyone who interviewed on 11/26.
 
I interviewed 11/28 and am an instater. The admissions committee has not yet reviewed my file. Maybe they reviewed OOS first.
 
MEDUSA23 did you call the admissions office to ask if you had been reviewed yet? I'm in a similar situation and wonder if maybe I should call and ask as well. I'm an instater and interviewed 11/7, but my file wasn't complete until 11/26. I was pretty dissapointed when I didn't hear anything after Christmas with the acceptances going out. No acceptances yet... Instaters keep us posted!!
 
MEDUSA23 did you call the admissions office to ask if you had been reviewed yet? I'm in a similar situation and wonder if maybe I should call and ask as well. I'm an instater and interviewed 11/7, but my file wasn't complete until 11/26. I was pretty dissapointed when I didn't hear anything after Christmas with the acceptances going out. No acceptances yet... Instaters keep us posted!!
Well, I'm OOS and interviewed on 11/30. But I haven't heard a word from them.
 
hmm..didn't know this about iowa
i was recently invited for an interview, and when i called to schedule, i found out that their interview season ends in January...i thought most schools go until at least april or so...

well, in any case, i have an interview mid-jan...so any help/feedback about the interview would be much appreciated.

where did you stay? how did you get to the school (from the airport), etc.

thanks!
 
MEDUSA23 did you call the admissions office to ask if you had been reviewed yet? I'm in a similar situation and wonder if maybe I should call and ask as well. I'm an instater and interviewed 11/7, but my file wasn't complete until 11/26. I was pretty dissapointed when I didn't hear anything after Christmas with the acceptances going out. No acceptances yet... Instaters keep us posted!!


Yes, I called to check on my status. You should definitely call because they are very nice and helpful. I was also extremely disappointed but felt better when I knew they weren't able to review my file, yet. At least I still have a chance to be reviewed before being thrown into the crappy pile. I really hope I don't end up in the crappy pile.
 
I called to check on my status today (since being away from my school mailing address) and they said my file was still "being reviewed in the subcommittee". My interview was mid-October, so I'm not sure whether that's good or bad to still be under review. Either way they said I'd probably hear something further around the end of January.

Also for xxbruinxx, pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about their interview dates is in the SDN Interview Feedback section.
 
Kandy2012. I just wrote you a message on the side. This is my first timee checking out this website, so I hope I am doing this right. I am interviewing next week and I am a bit nervous. Can you run through the day. I know you said things were pretty informal but i was hoping for some details on the structure of the day. Congrats on your acceptance. Carver is my first choice so I am looking forward to the oppertunity. Who knows maybe we will be in class one day together. Congrats again!
 
Kandy2012. I just wrote you a message on the side. This is my first timee checking out this website, so I hope I am doing this right. I am interviewing next week and I am a bit nervous. Can you run through the day. I know you said things were pretty informal but i was hoping for some details on the structure of the day. Congrats on your acceptance. Carver is my first choice so I am looking forward to the oppertunity. Who knows maybe we will be in class one day together. Congrats again!

I would definitely check out the interview feedback portion of sdn. The interview is actually only 25 mins long and with two faculty. They have a sheet with questions they will ask you and then afterwards there is an unstructured section and before you know it the 25 mins will be up. I wished it was longer. Any other questions feel free. Good luck.
 
hi guys...i could really use a response as soon as poss. on this one please!!

so i have my interview scheduled mid-jan. I was informed the interview is 2:30p and that i need to be at the admis. office at 10:30am. In the email, it stated that applicants should plan to be there 5-5.5 hours. So at the latest, i'd be done by 4pm right?

If i schedule a return flight the same day @ 6:45pm, would i be able to make it??? I mean, if i bring all my luggage w/ me to the admis. office, then i'd just have to the catch the shuttle that takes me to the airport (CID).

do you think i could make it? is this shuttle something that i'd have to prearrange (i'm looking at the CID website now).

PLEASE let me know asap! thanks so much!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah you could make it. If you had any way to schedule a little later I would just to be safe but you should be ok. You would be done by 4pm for sure.
When you get to Cedar Rapids you find the shuttle service to Iowa City, buy a ROUND Trip for 65 bucks and let them know where and when you have to be picked up post interview. The ride is like 25 minutes to the airport and it isn't a very busy hub. Make sure you call them that morning and maybe right after the interview just to make sure they were coming and don't forget. I was done around 3:30 and had a flight at 7:20pm out of Cedar Rapids. I had time to take the hotel shuttle back to Heartland Inn then wait for my shuttle to the airport. Then my flight was delayed so it didn't matter anyway.
 
thanks for the reply.
I'm considering staying at the hearland as well, but i figured they would want me to check out that morning (1/14), so i wouldn't really be able to take advantage of their shuttle service.

so i can just arrange the airport shuttle once i arrive in CID? no prior reservation required?

thx again for the reply. Oh, btw, are there any cheaper accomadations? i believe heartland (w/ hospital discount) is $56/night

bruin
 
so I called yesterday to ask if my file had been reviewed yet and got NOTHING. the lady said she couldn't give me any information and just spouted back the typical "you should hear by the end of january if you were put in the final pool or before then if you're accepted". it was pretty frustrating considering a couple of you have called the office and gotten a response to the same question....sigh. I'm going to keep trying...
 
I checked out in the morning but had them keep my bags at the front desk until I got back from my interview. Even though I was checked out they don't mind you using their shuttle service later in the day. It runs quite frequently, just check at the front desk for all the info on where it picks ppl up.
When you arrive in CID the shuttle service is near the car rental places and no prior reservations are required, at least I didn't have any. I didn't plan ahead and ended up paying two one way trips which is slightly more expensive. So let them know round trip and exactly when/where you will be after the interview.
As for cheaper accomodations I didn't look into any other places. Heartland is pretty nice and at least a few other interviewees stayed and rode the shuttle w/ me. They have free/good internet which was important for me.
 
I just got an interview invite for the end of Jan. Does anyone know the % of in-staters that apply that are accepted?- I know I should have a copy of US news but unfortunately I don't. Also, it seems like a lot of people haven't heard back about their acceptances yet. Does Iowa not let most people know if they're admitted until later?

Also, to justcantwait, from my incessant calling throughout the months, I think there's at least two women that pick up the phone. One is really sweet and almost always gave me some informative info, and the other just basically says she doesn't know anything and hangs up. I'd say call again and hope for the nice lady.
 
US News says acceptance rate for in state is 38.6%.

337 applied, 263 interviewed, 130 accepted, 97 enrolled
 
Has anyone heard another rumor about when the admissions committee might be meeting? "Sometime in January" is just not a satisfactory answer. I want to know where I stand!
 
Received my acceptance letter yesterday (I live in Iowa City)!! Hopefully those waiting will be hearing good news soon! Good luck🙂
 
I wonder how much longer I will have to wait. Shouldn't we hear something this month?
 
would someone be so kind so as to explain the admissions process post-interview, specifically in terms of "final round" vs. "rolling admissions" that the admissions person talked about?

thx
 
I wonder how much longer I will have to wait. Shouldn't we hear something this month?

The admissions rep told me I would here something in the way of an update (either way I guess) by the end of January...

This is me doing my hopeful face. 🙄
 
Has anyone from the November 26th interview heard anything yet? I see that some people who interviewed after that date have received letters, but I haven't seen anything from anyone who interviewed on 11/26.

I interviewed on 11/26 and I haven't heard anything. I'm going to call them today and ask about my status.
 
i withdrew my interview for 1/30 (the last day for interviews) hopefully that helps someone !!! gluck !!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I called on Monday, the lady suggested I would hear something by the end of this month if I was placed into the final pool. I don't think they are mailing out more acceptances this month, at least that is what she seemed to be saying. I hope I am wrong about this, and if someone receives an acceptance please post on this forum. Good luck everyone.
 
When I called on Monday, the lady suggested I would hear something by the end of this month if I was placed into the final pool. I don't think they are mailing out more acceptances this month, at least that is what she seemed to be saying. I hope I am wrong about this, and if someone receives an acceptance please post on this forum. Good luck everyone.


Can anyone remind me of what the "final pool" is? Is this Iowa's version of a waitlist?
 
Being in the final pool means the committee will review your file again in March. Iowa has a rolling admissions and non-rolling admissions. If you don't get accepted through the rolling admissions process, you get placed in the final pool (if they are still interested in your file). Then they review the final pool in March and make decisions such as accepted, waitlisted, or rejected. At least this is my understanding....
 
Well I called today and pretty much got confirmation that I have been put in this final pool to be reviewed in March. I'm OOS by the way. Does anyone have any idea roughly how much of the class is filled through the rolling process vs the last chance in March? I basically am just curious if chances of admission are decent or next to nil coming from this "final pool". Any thoughts?
 
Well I called today and pretty much got confirmation that I have been put in this final pool to be reviewed in March. I'm OOS by the way. Does anyone have any idea roughly how much of the class is filled through the rolling process vs the last chance in March? I basically am just curious if chances of admission are decent or next to nil coming from this "final pool". Any thoughts?


From what I heard on the interview day, a large portion of the class is filled by the final pool. Although OOS might have a disadvantage because the majority of the class is filled with Iowa residents. Being an Iowan, I feel I have a decent chance of getting an acceptance in March. If I was an OOS, I would probably be concerned about the likelihood of an acceptance because there will probably be a lot of OOS applicants in the final pool compared to the number of spots available. This being said, my tour guide was from OOS and got accepted from the final pool. Good luck :luck: