Iowa Carver 2012 Status?

Started by hawkeye12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed in October (in-state) -- it's weird to think that the wait will be over soon. My senior year has comprised of me telling folks that I won't know what I'm doing with my life until "mid-March".

Man I hope I get the letter before I go on Spring Break March 15th.
 
I found out some rather interesting info...I guess they've got around 45 seats left to fill for instaters. That's not very many! I, for one, am not gonna hold my breath. From the final pool, instaters have about a 1/3 chance of getting an acceptance. There will also be around 50 on the waitlist...my luck I'll be #50 on that WL, if not flat out rejected. OUCH! I need a miracle. (Sorry, I'm venting and kinda freaking out. My family and friends are sick of hearing about it...so I figured I'd vent here instead) 🙂

Oh yeah...anyone know anything about second time applicants to Iowa CCOM? Do they even consider it as a factor. This is my second time applying, and I was hoping that'd help...at least they'd know I haven't given up...
 
Did you happen to find out how many seats are available for OOS? Or are just the IS stats known at this point?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I found out some rather interesting info...I guess they've got around 45 seats left to fill for instaters. That's not very many! I, for one, am not gonna hold my breath. From the final pool, instaters have about a 1/3 chance of getting an acceptance...
Where did you hear this?? I'm an undergrad at Iowa and have a lot of friends in med school, and I've always heard that most of the class is accepted through the final pool, NOT in the rolling phase.
 
I called and talked to Carolyn Murphy in the office of admissions. I only asked about IS because I am instate. I'm terrified myself...and I'm sorry if I've scared anyone, that was not my intention. I'm just realying exactly what she said. Carolyn is an extremely nice lady, and very forth-coming with information. If anyone wants to call and ask questions, I highly reccommend talking to her, she is always informative and not rude at all.
 
Apricotattack...I thought the same thing because I know quite a few people in both undergrad and med school at Iowa. I've always heard that most of the instaters were accepted from the final pool. I actually wish I wouldn't have called, because all it did was scare me ****less. But if your stats are good and you've done a ton of good EC's, you may be fine. I'm scared because my MCAT score is pretty low, and that alone does not bode well for my chances. Iowa's a pretty number-hungry school.
 
One of you Iowa City-based folks might know, but does UIowa rejected anyone post-interview? Or does everyone that interviews get moved to the rolling phase if they aren't accepted outright? It seems to me that the latter is true, but I really have no idea. Thanks.
 
One of you Iowa City-based folks might know, but does UIowa rejected anyone post-interview? Or does everyone that interviews get moved to the rolling phase if they aren't accepted outright? It seems to me that the latter is true, but I really have no idea. Thanks.

They rejected a crop of people in January, when they made the cuts for the final pool. Not everybody moves to it, don't worry!
 
Apricotattack...I thought the same thing because I know quite a few people in both undergrad and med school at Iowa. I've always heard that most of the instaters were accepted from the final pool. I actually wish I wouldn't have called, because all it did was scare me ****less. But if your stats are good and you've done a ton of good EC's, you may be fine. I'm scared because my MCAT score is pretty low, and that alone does not bode well for my chances. Iowa's a pretty number-hungry school.

yikes, you are scaring me ... I plan to skip reading your posts in the future, no offense 😳 haha, but really, just try to stay positive!!! I know a girl in this year's M1 class who got in in July off the bottom of the waitlist... there is always still hope.:luck:
 
yikes, you are scaring me ... I plan to skip reading your posts in the future, no offense 😳 haha, but really, just try to stay positive!!! I know a girl in this year's M1 class who got in in July off the bottom of the waitlist... there is always still hope.:luck:

Thanks! I appreciate your optimism. Just out of curiosity, do you know what her stats were like? Or do you know stats for any of the Iowans you know that got in?? Now I'm just digging for info...🙂 G'luck!!
 
They rejected a crop of people in January, when they made the cuts for the final pool. Not everybody moves to it, don't worry!

How do you know this? I thought no one who got an interview gets rejected until March. Are you sure?
 
Yeah, I heard that they did reject a lot of people in January. I pretty sure not everyone makes the final pool.
 
Yeah, I heard that they did reject a lot of people in January. I pretty sure not everyone makes the final pool.


This was my (very limited) understanding as well, but I really had nothing other than vague anecdotal evidence to back it up. Just wanted to see if anyone here thought/knew otherwise. Thanks for the feedback.

For you reapplicants, what did you do differently to strengthen your app? Iowa seems so numbers-oriented (didn't y'all think the interview was a joke?) that short of jump in the MCAT or masters degree, I don't know what else they would look fondly upon. I didn't think research or clinical experience really influenced your application one way or another. Once again, feel free to correct me if I'm way off base - this is more of the vague anecdotal evidence I referred to earlier!
 
This was my (very limited) understanding as well, but I really had nothing other than vague anecdotal evidence to back it up. Just wanted to see if anyone here thought/knew otherwise. Thanks for the feedback.

For you reapplicants, what did you do differently to strengthen your app? Iowa seems so numbers-oriented (didn't y'all think the interview was a joke?) that short of jump in the MCAT or masters degree, I don't know what else they would look fondly upon. I didn't think research or clinical experience really influenced your application one way or another. Once again, feel free to correct me if I'm way off base - this is more of the vague anecdotal evidence I referred to earlier!


I would agree that it seems like they're number obsessed. I'm a reapplicant...and although I improved my MCAT, I'm still sure it's not good enough. I think it helps to have clinical and research experience, but that alone will only take you so far. It probably helps differentiate between people with good stats, but that's about all. I did do a TON of research (2 pubs), volunteer work, organized 2 charity events for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and I worked in a clinic...but I don't think it'll help that much. Honestly, I've lost hope. Sorry to be a Debbie downer... 🙁
 
I too and sitting here stressing and in a state of non function waiting to hear from Iowa out of the final pool. They said the 15th, but i am a far away OOS student, so i don't want that letter moseying here by that monday.
Why do you guys seme to think a Masters makes you more competitive at Carver. Secondly is there a difference in having it, being done everything, or applying while still in the program.
Lastly I think I am done calling and bugging the office there, who will find out the exact day the letters are sent out and decisions are made. I have begun to check this thread quite often, and we all know MISERY LOVES COMPANY LOL.
Will that time the letters are sent out be posted here next week. When I spoke to Judy yesterday she said letters sent out and I quote" early next week, and no decisions have been made."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I found out some rather interesting info...I guess they've got around 45 seats left to fill for instaters....


Does that mean there are only going to be 45 acceptances mailed out next week? Or that a larger number of acceptances are going to be mailed out so Iowa can ensure that they fill 45 seats?
 
Thanks! I appreciate your optimism. Just out of curiosity, do you know what her stats were like? Or do you know stats for any of the Iowans you know that got in?? Now I'm just digging for info...🙂 G'luck!!

I don't know her stats... I didn't know her well enough to dig in that far, but I wish I would've! Maybe I will ask her.. I can't think of stats for anyone who got in via final pool, actually. Seems like once you get to med school nobody cares about your previous GPA and MCAT - your slate is clean (hallelujah!).

How do you know this? I thought no one who got an interview gets rejected until March. Are you sure?

I'm pretty sure they actually told us this; it's common knowledge as far as I can tell. I have no source, but I guarantee it, okay! Maybe it's on the secondary app page? Too lazy to check..
 
Hey guys, I'm not a usual poster...but to answer the question above...I think the rejections handed out in January were pre-interview rejections. At the interview, they said that those who don't get an acceptance in the rolling phase authomatically get placed in the final pool in Jan. So, I don't think any post-interview rejections have been handed out.
 
Hey guys, I'm not a usual poster...but to answer the question above...I think the rejections handed out in January were pre-interview rejections. At the interview, they said that those who don't get an acceptance in the rolling phase authomatically get placed in the final pool in Jan. So, I don't think any post-interview rejections have been handed out.

Now you guys have me wondering... anybody out there been rejected from Iowa this cycle/know anybody who has?

Here's what the secondary page has to say about it:
"After applicants have completed their files and have interviewed, the Admissions Committee will review applicants either under the rolling admissions phase, which takes place from mid-October through late January, or will be held for review until the "final pool" phase, which takes place in February-March. Admission decisions (admitted or denied) will be sent by US Mail to applicants."

Which doesn't reallly tell us either way in the end. I swear I was told by Carolyn that some people got rejected in January, when the notifications went out telling us we were in the final pool. Someone going to call?
 
Apricotattack...I thought the same thing because I know quite a few people in both undergrad and med school at Iowa. I've always heard that most of the instaters were accepted from the final pool. I actually wish I wouldn't have called, because all it did was scare me ****less. But if your stats are good and you've done a ton of good EC's, you may be fine. I'm scared because my MCAT score is pretty low, and that alone does not bode well for my chances. Iowa's a pretty number-hungry school.


...how low are we talking? Cause mine is not very pretty itself.
 
Now you guys have me wondering... anybody out there been rejected from Iowa this cycle/know anybody who has?

Here's what the secondary page has to say about it:
"After applicants have completed their files and have interviewed, the Admissions Committee will review applicants either under the rolling admissions phase, which takes place from mid-October through late January, or will be held for review until the "final pool" phase, which takes place in February-March. Admission decisions (admitted or denied) will be sent by US Mail to applicants."

Which doesn't reallly tell us either way in the end. I swear I was told by Carolyn that some people got rejected in January, when the notifications went out telling us we were in the final pool. Someone going to call?


Well, the MS3 that led us around during my tour of the school told the group that Iowa sends their rejection letters (post-interview) usually within a month of your interview.
 
It was my understanding that everyone who interviewed and wasn't accepted during the rolling phase went into the final pool (meaning the only people rejected thus far are ones who weren't interviewed aka post-secondary/pre-interview rejections). Once in the final pool, decisions are made as who to accept from the pool and who to put on the waitlist and in what order/rank. Applicants in the final pool that are not accepted or placed on the waitlist are then sent post-interview rejections. Note: This could be inaccurate; it's just what I remember hearing during my interview day. Also, from browsing SDN, I've only seen post-secondary rejections, no post-interview rejections.

Anyway, I hope you guys hear good news in the coming weeks.
 
So it looks like in 2007 and 2006, people started to receive acceptances/denials/waitlists on March 8 (TODAY). Anybody got news to share???

Yah I guess they do ask to be updated of any contact information before March 1st.... so maybe they will start sending stuff out before the 15th.

!!!!!!!!!!! It's been such a long lull in med school emails I think I might have heart attack when I get a piece of final decision news...
 
They are not mailing anything out until the 13th or 14th of March, and I know that for sure because that's what Carolyn in admissions said. Truthfully, I'm just not gonna worry anymore...I'm sick of feeling crappy because of freaking out about whether or not I'm gonna get in to Iowa.

AND...I'm pretty positive that they don't reject anyone who interviewed until March. I actually vaguely remember Kathi saying that on interview day.

Anyways...good luck to everyone :luck:
 
God I'm nervous..........eventhough I said I wasn't gonna worry anymore. So much for that!
 
I think this week will be the worst in the application process. My stomach is in knots. It is worse then going in for MCATs or interviews. I suggest high doses of sedatives, only waking for the daily mail check.:laugh:
The good news: we have done all we can up to this point, it is out of our hands, and we will know something by the end of this week.
Good luck all
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
BAH! Still no mail as of Monday!!!

I tried to find a "going crazy" smiley, but none really capture the essence... use your imagination.
 
Definitely getting a little nervous, and going a bit nuts, but since I'm not expecting to get a large envelope (hopefully) until Monday, anything sooner will just be a pleasant surprise.
 
Ok...so I called Iowa again this morning...decisions are definitely going out at the end of this week...........

I think I need to sleep for the next 4-5 days, because it can't be healthy to stress out as much as I have been. :scared: My head feels like it's gonna explode or fall off.....AHHHHHH! This is the most stressful process EVER, at least up to this point in my life it is.

Well, we're all in this together...and emt30119 is right, it's out of our hands now. We've done all we can. I think I'm gonna go try get all this off my mind...somehow. (Yeah right).
 
Okay, so here's the scoop. Yesterday I was in a computer lab checking my print credit on ISIS (University of Iowa's student online registration/records/etc service) and I decided to click on the link that said "Admissions Profile". Now I had been checking this link sporadically in the past few months just in case, but all that had been showing up was information about a biology grad program I briefly considered as a backup but ultimately abandoned. So I click on Admissions Profile and it had TWO links, one for the bio-grad and one for CARVER COLLEGE OF MEDICINE! So I click on the CCOM link and it says: "Degree Objective: Doctor of Medicine, Admission Decision: ADMITTED(!), Classification: First Year Student". So I start freaking out in the computer lab, trying to hold back tears and laughter and screaming. Anyway, I wanted to make absolutely sure, so I ran home to check my mail, but there was no packet. Since I knew it would probably come today, I was debating whether to wait it out another 24 or to just call and get it over with. Wanting to celebrate last night, I broke down and called, gingerly asking to "check my waitlist status". I think it was Catherine Solow, in an excruciatingly round-about way, said, "well, it looks like you should be expecting a packet from us..." (what kind of packet!? a rejection packet!? just tell me woman!) "It looks like you were admitted yesterday." At this point I thanked her very graciously, hung up, and freaked out.

Moral of the story: If you are a University of Iowa student on the waitlist and you want to know your status as soon as possible, keep checking your Admissions Profile on ISIS.

Good luck to everyone! RFR dude, better go buy that bottle of champagne now!

From last year's thread...

I checked and I do have a HawkID even though I'm not an Iowa student, but I don't know the password assigned to my HawkID. I'm so tempted to call the tech help desk and get "my" password reset so I can log on and see.
All I do now is ignore my homework and think about my admission status to Iowa. LOL
 
From last year's thread...

I checked and I do have a HawkID even though I'm not an Iowa student, but I don't know the password assigned to my HawkID. I'm so tempted to call the tech help desk and get "my" password reset so I can log on and see.
All I do now is ignore my homework and think about my admission status to Iowa. LOL

hey, i'm pretty sure that everyone's automatic password is ui the last 4 digits of your ss # hc (ui####hc)

try that!
 
I saw that thread from last year a few days ago. I was an iowa studnet so I have ISIS and started checking that today. So far nothing. I think it will say something if they enter me as an acceptance. Probably wont say anything if I am on the waitlist. I will keep checking it and let you guys know if I see anything.
 
From last year's thread...

I checked and I do have a HawkID even though I'm not an Iowa student, but I don't know the password assigned to my HawkID. I'm so tempted to call the tech help desk and get "my" password reset so I can log on and see.
All I do now is ignore my homework and think about my admission status to Iowa. LOL

I have been checking ISIS like a crazy woman and I've got nothing there. If you read that thread you quoted further, you'll see that she was waitlisted and found this loophole in late April or something so I don't know if it will work for us so early. I hope it does though and I will keep checking! Perhaps it will work between the times they send out decisions and we receive them?? I will do anything to know a day sooner! I'll let you all on the thread know if I see anything on ISIS...

Also, I have an "inside source" 😉 at the COM who confirms that the adcom meets later this week to decide and send out decisions!
 
hey, i'm pretty sure that everyone's automatic password is ui the last 4 digits of your ss # hc (ui####hc)

try that!

Unfortunately, that didn't work for me. I think it only works if you are/were a student at Iowa. Oh well! I guess I'll just have to wait it out...
 
Unfortunately, that didn't work for me. I think it only works if you are/were a student at Iowa. Oh well! I guess I'll just have to wait it out...

I'm not a student at Iowa undergrad but that was the password that was sent when I was accepted. perhaps when they load admission decisions into their computer system, it will work for those accepted
 
I'm not a student at Iowa undergrad but that was the password that was sent when I was accepted. perhaps when they load admission decisions into their computer system, it will work for those accepted

is it possible the "hc" stood for anything in particular? initials?
 
good luck hawkeye hopefuls! now get off SDN and don't check the mail again until friday! its actually warm today!👍







by the way, does anyone know if Iowa has any second look day? just curious, this is the one school i would be really interested in seeing again if i were admitted.
 
is it possible the "hc" stood for anything in particular? initials?

the letters seemed universal with the only personalization being the last four digits of your ss #

the help desk is really really nice and will help you too
 
So who wants to call the help desk and try to get their password reset

(319) 384-HELP (4357)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not a student at Iowa undergrad but that was the password that was sent when I was accepted. perhaps when they load admission decisions into their computer system, it will work for those accepted

Ugh...it still doesn't work for me. That could mean they didn't accept me...or that they haven't loaded all admission decisions into the computer system yet. Either way, it's REALLY unnerving.