Iowa (Carver) vs MCW (Milwaukee Campus) vs University of Missouri - Columbia (Mizzou)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dinkenflicka

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Iowa - Carver Med School - 52k

MCW - Milwaukee - 52k

Univ of MO - Columbia - 32k

I know Univ of MO - Columbia showed off their board scores of near 240 average.

Iowa and MCW - said above average board scores

Aside from tuition, not sure how to decide.

Members don't see this ad.

Iowa - Carver Med School - 52k

MCW - Milwaukee - 52k

Univ of MO - Columbia - 32k

I know Univ of MO - Columbia showed off their board scores of near 240 average.

Iowa and MCW - said above average board scores

Aside from tuition, not sure how to decide.
What are you trying to do career wise.

I dont think there is any much ranking difference between all 3 schools. Are you instate for any of these schools?

I dont think there is any much ranking difference between all 3 schools. Are you instate for any of these schools?
They must be for that cheap tuition in MO!

Where do you want to live for the next 4 years? How big of a city? How urban of an area around campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure yet, but I hope to specialize. Are any one of these schools better in that regard?
If you know what you want to specialize in you should seek a school which has a residency program in that speciality. If it is competitive like a surgical subspeciality this is even more important.

If you know what you want to specialize in you should seek a school which has a residency program in that speciality. If it is competitive like a surgical subspeciality this is even more important.

Is this the case because home programs prefer their own med students? Is this the case for most/all med schools?

Carver pulls in a ton of research dollars, has a great match list, and a good rep in the upper Midwest. I wouldn’t choose MCW given your goals. I imagine Mizzou is similar to Iowa, and may benefit you more since you’re a resident.

Reactions: 1 users
Iowa > MCW > Missouri

however location wise:
MCW (milwaukee - decently large city)> Iowa=Missouri

Reactions: 1 user
Carver pulls in a ton of research dollars, has a great match list, and a good rep in the upper Midwest. I wouldn’t choose MCW given your goals. I imagine Mizzou is similar to Iowa, and may benefit you more since you’re a resident.
They seem similar for the $80K+ longterm that would be saved

(Also note I’m waiting to hear from Iowa’s final pool and probably on their waitlist - felt like I should disclose :/ but if I were OP I would save the $80K if I got my state school and go there.

Reactions: 1 user