Iowa MD and MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBob330

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be attending Iowa in the fall and was curious if they have an option for MD students to earn a MPH. I think I remember receiving something about that earlier in the appilcation process, but I don't remember. I know they have a school of public health, but beyond that, I'm don't know.

Any info?

Members don't see this ad.

Moving to MPH forum as posters there may be better able to answer questions.

Thanks. I should have put it here in the first place.

Members don't see this ad :)
most medical schools allow MD students to take that break between MS3 and MS4 to obtain a MPH...or you can wait and go into a preventive medicine residency and get paid to get a MPH...but yes it is possible and a lot of med students take the opportunity between their 3 and 4th year to get a MPH.

most medical schools allow MD students to take that break between MS3 and MS4 to obtain a MPH...or you can wait and go into a preventive medicine residency and get paid to get a MPH...but yes it is possible and a lot of med students take the opportunity between their 3 and 4th year to get a MPH.

It would also probably better to do an MPH somewhere else besides Iowa. I don't think Iowa is well known in public health at all, you will be better off applying for a one year or a 16 month MPH at a better known public health school.

It would also probably better to do an MPH somewhere else besides Iowa. I don't think Iowa is well known in public health at all, you will be better off applying for a one year or a 16 month MPH at a better known public health school.

Funny, in US World News, they're ranked in top 20.

Iowa is a respected Public Health program (#18 on USNews), I personally think you should stay at Iowa unless of course you'd like to travel elsewhere...but personally, if you really intend on getting that MPH, I would take a look into Preventive Medicine later on..it'll save you money and time in the long-run.