Iowa State C/O 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BakedZiti

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Anyone else applying to Iowa State for the Class of 2016? How is it coming?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also applying to IA state but as a Nebraska resident. I've been seriously slacking on the application. Nebraska residents have an extra three short answer questions but they don't have a character limit so I'm still trying to figure out what is an appropriate amount to write.

To anyone that is thinking about applying, I highly suggest you do! I applied on a whim, and fell in love. I'll be moving to Ames from the East Coast in a few weeks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm part of the Nebraska resident program...one more year in Nebraska, then over to Iowa. If anyone has questions about the program, I'd be happy to try and answer them. Just PM me. Good luck guys!

I like how everything is so organized with the admissions process! It makes things a lot easier!

Did any of you guys go a little over on the word limits for the essays on the supplemental application? I am having a hard time keeping it around 2000 and 3000 characters...

I, on the other hand, can't think of much to say!! I'm up to 740 characters for one and 530 for the other essay question. I'm from Louisiana and don't know much about ISU.

I just did a lot of research on the school's website, and also the surrounding area. The website is a really good resource for different opportunities available for vet students. You could probably also call the school if you had any specific questions. They seem really nice every time I've called :)

I, too, was in the UNL/ISU cooperative program (just graduated with the first class, in May), so 2 years at Nebraska, 2 at ISU. If anyone has questions about this, or about ISU in general, let me know. I agree with bakedziti--everyone is really nice and helpful there. Talking to many of my OOS classmates, that's one of the main things that attracted them here. In particular, get in contact with Dr. Monica Howard if you have any questions (don't know if I'm allowed to post her e-mail here, but you can search for her on the ISU CVM website).

Oh, and I think I would REALLY try to stay in the character limit. I'm guessing they set those for a reason, and won't appreciate if you go over.

I'm having a hard time finishing the "how are you unique?" essay. Since it can't include veterinary, animal, or academic experiences, I'm kind of at a loss. Are they trying to get me to talk about that one time when I grew up in the ghetto?

In all seriousness though, what are other people writing about?

I'm having a hard time finishing the "how are you unique?" essay. Since it can't include veterinary, animal, or academic experiences, I'm kind of at a loss. Are they trying to get me to talk about that one time when I grew up in the ghetto?

In all seriousness though, what are other people writing about?

Hobbies? Special skills? That time you donated bone marrow? :p

Hobbies? Special skills? That time you donated bone marrow? :p
Uck. That's what I was afraid of. How about that I'm an exceptionally tall blonde with a penchant for sewing. I also enjoy long walks on the beach? This is gonna be a loooooong 3000 characters....

The prompt is what will you add to the ISU community right? I wrote about being on drumline and all the traits that gave me and then moving far from home to college and joining Chinese Bible Study despite being a white girl from Nebraska. Basically I wrote about how my life experiences have shaped me and what personality traits I have that make me awesome. I had a bit of a hard time staying within the character limit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think last year the first round of interview invites were sent out in October and November. If it stays the same, it's getting close to the time!! :)

I think last year the first round of interview invites were sent out in October and November. If it stays the same, it's getting close to the time!! :)

Looking over last year's thread it seems that IS and contract students (except Nebraska) get interviewed first and someone heard October 28th about their interview. The first person who got an OOS interview that posted in the thread got their invite November 18th. So not too far off.

I'm also apply as an OOS. I am so anxious/nervous too! I hope we hear something soon. My status changed to "committee review" on the website so hopefully that means they are working on the OOS invites. :)

just curious...anyone else's status page still saying "VMCAS not received"??

Mine says application received. You might want to email Kathy. Maybe they got behind on applications.

I just looked at my status page. I have no clue how they determine GPA's but however they do it is screwy. They have dropped my cumulative from my main school from a 3.49 to a 3.36. The only other classes they have to add are the 2 B's I received from a CC one summer and that totals 4 credits from that semester...it makes no sense.

I just looked at my status page. I have no clue how they determine GPA's but however they do it is screwy. They have dropped my cumulative from my main school from a 3.49 to a 3.36. The only other classes they have to add are the 2 B's I received from a CC one summer and that totals 4 credits from that semester...it makes no sense.

If you think that they calculated your GPA wrong, then email them (Kathy, I think?). When I applied last year, I noticed that my cummulative GPA was different then what I calculated so I emailed her, and she emailed me back the spreadsheet that they use with my grades in it, showing how they calculated GPAs. Turned out, they actually did calculate mine wrong because they included a pass/fail class in my total hours when they divided.

Although they send out interview invites early, they can also send them out later as well. I interviewed on the first weekend last year (like January 7th/8th), and I received my invite only like 3 weeks in advance.

I just want to say good luck to everyone that applied this year!! I'm a first year right now (procrastinating for an anatomy test tomorrow) and I hope to see some of you during interviews and next fall!!

Hey! Did anyone else notice that one the "official invites" page that Iowa has sent a few invites out already? Does anyone know if these are IS and contract? I know one of them says OOS, but I thought last year that the first interview session was only for IS and contract. Thanks! Good luck everyone!

Hey! Did anyone else notice that one the "official invites" page that Iowa has sent a few invites out already? Does anyone know if these are IS and contract? I know one of them says OOS, but I thought last year that the first interview session was only for IS and contract. Thanks! Good luck everyone!

I was going to just figure that the person was just OOS but then I looked at their previous posts and found that they're a resident of South Dakota so I think they're a contract applicant. The interviews for OOS'ers last year started coming in Mid-November but they send out rounds of interview invites it seems. Nebraska contract applicants don't hear anything until late December though.

...but I thought last year that the first interview session was only for IS and contract.

Yeah, the first interview session is for IS/contract applicants. Good luck you guys :luck:

i think tomorrow iowa st starts out of state invites. good luck everyone!

got an invite! super excited! check the status page online

Congrats Greyhound! That is awesome! When is your interview?? First set in January??

Congrats Greyhound! That is awesome! When is your interview?? First set in January??

Thanks! No actually I am headed out there december 3rd i think. Kinda nervous about the whole interview process but I hear ISU is suppose to be beautiful.

Thanks! No actually I am headed out there december 3rd i think. Kinda nervous about the whole interview process but I hear ISU is suppose to be beautiful.

It's gonna be great! I have a friend out there and she LOVES it! Straight California girl gone Hawkeye! lol! Good luck on your interview! It's going to come up quick!

If anyone is interviewing this weekend, I will be around helping out! Good luck :)

Congratulations on your interview invites everyone! Does anyone know when they will be sending out the invites for January? Are those for OOS?

Congratulations on your interview invites everyone! Does anyone know when they will be sending out the invites for January? Are those for OOS?

I'm OOS, and last year I got my interview invite 2 days before Christmas for a January interview.

hey guys! just booked my flight to des moines and am starting to get excited to make the trip out there. does anyone know how to get from the airport to the campus / places to stay near the school / is anyone going for interviews on the 3rd???

Had my interview last weekend. I love Iowa State. Hoping to get the nod to start this fall.

Last edited:
My application status went from "academic review" to "committee review". Does anyone know if this means anything? Does anyone else have this status now too?

My application status went from "academic review" to "committee review". Does anyone know if this means anything? Does anyone else have this status now too?

I think it probably means that their admissions committee is starting to look at the file as oppose to inputting the information into their system / their initial screening processes

That's good news. Your academic scores (like GPA, GRE, etc.) are high enough for the committee to review. After the committee review (reading your supplemental essays and general essays AND not looking at your academic scores.. it's a non-biased process), then you are offered an interview or not offered an interview. The interviewers have not read your essays and have no knowledge of your academic curriculum.
Good luck! Hope you get to visit beautiful Ames. :)

I have talked to a few colleagues, and they did not find out until February. This process makes ya nervous. Do any previous applicants or students know when contract students will find out that they are accepted, wait listed, or denied?

Everyone finds out Feb 15th

Last edited:
Thanks. I will be anxiously awaiting.

Good luck to those interviewing today! And to those who are interviewing tomorrow - see you there! :)

I just had an interview at Iowa. I loved the campus, facilities, staffs and everything. I was very very nervous at first but the interviewers were extremely friendly. I think the interview went pretty well, and one of them said that he really hopes to see me next fall. And as he walked me out to the door, he literally said that I have a straight shot, and I should come to Iowa University for vet school. Did everyone hear the same thing or do you think he really liked me?

I just had my interview there on the 4th. I ended up liking it much more than I had anticipated! I didn't think people were as over-the-top friendly like I heard a lot of people remark, but I'm from the Midwest so I guess I'm used to that level of friendliness- not to say that they weren't very friendly, because they were! The facilities were quite large and newly remodeled or presently being remodeled so everything looked good. Surprisingly a lot of surgical experience available- depending on how involved you wanted to be in organizations and the like, which is nice to know you can get more if you want more. Overall an excellent impression of the university and the people there. Best of luck to everyone else that is interviewing with them :)

So glad to hear interviews are going well and those who have gone have liked the place! My application is still in academic review... :scared:

I can't seem to get all the school straight that I applied to, does Iowa want all applicants to send Fall 2011 transcripts or just those with offers?