Iowa State C/O 2016

Started by BakedZiti
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it depends. If you're in a graduate program and not finishing until spring (and not taking any prerequisites), then you don't have to send the transcript until spring when you graduate. If you are an undergrad, I would send them, because I think it still counts towards your last 45.
 
2 months and 1 day. I am excited. I took work off; I think I will need it to celebrate or lay in bed all day.... Both seem pretty awesome
Anyone else feeling this way?
 
2 months and 1 day. I am excited. I took work off; I think I will need it to celebrate or lay in bed all day.... Both seem pretty awesome
Anyone else feeling this way?

Excited about...?? I'm confused! 😕

My status page STILL says "Committee review," and it's been that way for 2 months now. Anyone else hanging in limbo?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you are OOS; you could be waiting longer. I will get in contact with my friends at ISU. They will have some knowledge on the issue.
 
I think it depends. If you're in a graduate program and not finishing until spring (and not taking any prerequisites), then you don't have to send the transcript until spring when you graduate. If you are an undergrad, I would send them, because I think it still counts towards your last 45.

I emailed Kathy about transcripts, because I am in a graduate program, she said that although they don't calculate graduate grades into any of the GPAs, they want to ensure that you are still persuing your masters, since I will be graduating with one in the spring, they just want to make sure I will still be able to finish it on time!
 
*whew!* Good to know I'm not alone! :xf:

Me too...Definitely glad to see that I'm not the only one. I was worried that they were keeping me in the "just in case we don't get better applicants" pile. Hopefully good news will come to us soon!
 
:0) I just got my interview invitation! I'm sooo excited- I'm coming from NC though- any advice for the traveling aspect??
 
2 months and 1 day. I am excited. I took work off; I think I will need it to celebrate or lay in bed all day.... Both seem pretty awesome
Anyone else feeling this way?

Definitely feeling this way! Got news of one rejection and one interview today--- if it weren't for my straight A's this semester--- I don't know if I would really be as excited as I am! haha
 
So I have my interview date and time (1/21 at 8am), now, does anyone know if they will send out more information about travel in town/where to stay/where the interviews are/the day's schedule, etc? It seems like there is a big lack in information.
 
So I have my interview date and time (1/21 at 8am), now, does anyone know if they will send out more information about travel in town/where to stay/where the interviews are/the day's schedule, etc? It seems like there is a big lack in information.


Yeah about 2 days afterwards you'll get a message confirming the interview. In the message there's a link to an interview info page (vetmed.iastate.edu/academics/prospective-students/admissions/interview). It has the schedule of the interview date plus links to lodging and transportation info. Hope this helps!
 
Yeah about 2 days afterwards you'll get a message confirming the interview. In the message there's a link to an interview info page (vetmed.iastate.edu/academics/prospective-students/admissions/interview). It has the schedule of the interview date plus links to lodging and transportation info. Hope this helps!

Thanks!
 
Definitely feeling this way! Got news of one rejection and one interview today--- if it weren't for my straight A's this semester--- I don't know if I would really be as excited as I am! haha
Yeah, I got rejected to CSU on the 17th, and I only applied two places. I am hoping for the best at ISU; to be completely honest, Ames is the only place I want to go. I just hope the committee sees more than my poor GRE and low req classes GPA.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I have my interview date and time (1/21 at 8am), now, does anyone know if they will send out more information about travel in town/where to stay/where the interviews are/the day's schedule, etc? It seems like there is a big lack in information.
I was in a hotel right by the campus; it was only like $75. When you are in town, make sure to check out the main campus, downtown, and Welch Avenue in general. Ames is a beautiful town. So much to do, so little time.
Also, do not be afraid to talk to the students. They are quite nice.
 
Yeah I was wondering about which hotel would be best as well...and I'm not 21 yet so I can't rent a car...anybody have any suggestions on how to get around/where to stay? (I'm interviewing on the 8th)
 
Anyone else still in "Committee Review" under their admission status?? This limbo is making me crazy!!
 
Hey, Do you guys have any suggestions/insight regarding the cost of traveling for the interview? I'm really struggling because the weekend alone will be about $650 without food or anything extra. Any advice would be fantastic!
 
Hey, Do you guys have any suggestions/insight regarding the cost of traveling for the interview? I'm really struggling because the weekend alone will be about $650 without food or anything extra. Any advice would be fantastic!

Look into student airfares - Student Universe, STA Travel, and One Travel - and compare them to the regular places like Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, etc. to get the cheapest flight possible. If you take the time to really go hunting, you can usually save a decent amount. Priceline is also great for hotel bidding.
 
Yeah I was wondering about which hotel would be best as well...and I'm not 21 yet so I can't rent a car...anybody have any suggestions on how to get around/where to stay? (I'm interviewing on the 8th)


Hey what time is your interview on the 8th...? you could stay at the hotel I'm staying at with me I'm 25 so I got it already and it's very close to campus. Let me know. I'm pretty cool sometimes--- haha.... and I'm a girl- don't konw if that matters to you
 
Hey what time is your interview on the 8th...? you could stay at the hotel I'm staying at with me I'm 25 so I got it already and it's very close to campus. Let me know. I'm pretty cool sometimes--- haha.... and I'm a girl- don't konw if that matters to you

That'd be great! Mine's at 11:15 and I'm a girl too lol...what hotel are you staying at?
 
I see that they have started to email rejections for OOS...

I have received neither a rejection or an invite at this point... not sure if I should be happy or sad

I have been in committee review for what seems like forever... I have been at the bottom of the pile for like every school that is taking the read my application.

Does anyone have an opinion of how getting a 3.0 in chem II (sigh, if i was at a university this semester i would have gotten the 3.5 but I am at CC now) and a 4.0 in psychology will affect me? My overall goes up by .01 to a 3.25, my science goes down by ~.01, and my last 45 goes up by .1 to a 3.59 (sigh, this is how i needed to be performing throughout college).

OR do they not every look at my sent transcripts at this point because i am in committee review? OR am I at the bottom of the pile for committee review because of my overall fricken low?




Anyone else still in "Committee Review" under their admission status?? This limbo is making me crazy!!

I am! I wonder what the hold up is..
 
To be honest, I do not have the most stellar chemistry grades. I am hoping that they look at my application beyond what classes I have taken.

All the best.
 
For those of you interviewing on Sunday (1/9) I will be around if you have any questions!! My one suggestion is that if you have any questions, ASK. That's what we're all here for (staff and students volunteering). I asked a million questions during my interview day and it was really relieving to be able to have them answered. Also, if you're too shy to ask yourself, go to the student panel (you should go anyway 😉) because it's very likely that someone else has the same questions as you. I've seen parents going without the students which can be helpful but I STRONGLY recommend that you make it to a session - you are the one, after all, that will be attending the vet school.
We don't bite, I promise!!
Good luck!!
 
I am still on committee review as well for a couple of months. Is there still a chance of getting in if no interview was requested? Super nervous!!
 
Not to make you guys nervous but I believe all the interview slots are filled. I called today to ask if I could switch my interview time and they said that there are no time slots available on any of the interview dates. Im assuming that means that they have made all of their interview selections. I hope someone declines their invite so you guys get a shot!
 
I had an interview today, and there was a sheet on the wall giving us the names of our interviewers, and it said, "send thank you notes to:"
does this mean they expect you to send thank you notes?
and were we meant to give them to the admissions office? because they didn't give us any contact information..
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you notes are expected for job interviews, so I am assuming they are expected for vet school interviews as well.
 
They are not expected. What they said at the interview at ISU was that the information was there if you wanted to send one, because some applicants do want to do that. But it is NOT an expectation. If you don't want to send one, then don't.
 
I just withdrew my application from Iowa State, Michigan State, Tufts, and Auburn...hopefully this will open up another spot for you guys! Good luck!!! :luck::xf:
 
Hi HawkEye Vet! I am interviewing on the 22nd, my biggest question is travel-related right now. I'm not sure if I should just rent a car to get from Des Moines airport to Ames...weather can be so dicey right now (lifelong midwesterner here). Are there other options you are aware of that would be good for getting to the airport to my hotel, then from my hotel to the vet school, and back again? Thanks!!
 
Last edited:
I think driving would probably be your best bet. After you get out of Des Moines, it's basically a straight shot up to Ames. You could always contact the admissions office; they might have some other options for you.
Also, the current weather forecast for the 22nd is 52 degrees. We've been having an incredibly mild winter so far.
Good luck!
 
That's good news. Your academic scores (like GPA, GRE, etc.) are high enough for the committee to review. After the committee review (reading your supplemental essays and general essays AND not looking at your academic scores.. it's a non-biased process), then you are offered an interview or not offered an interview. The interviewers have not read your essays and have no knowledge of your academic curriculum.
Good luck! Hope you get to visit beautiful Ames. 🙂

I am curious about this, as the website says the same...so does this mean the interviewers have absolutely no knowledge of you at all? I don't want to spend much time rehashing my essays/experience, but I don't want to not cover the important points...interviewing this Sunday, any insight would be great!
 
I think driving would probably be your best bet. After you get out of Des Moines, it's basically a straight shot up to Ames. You could always contact the admissions office; they might have some other options for you.
Also, the current weather forecast for the 22nd is 52 degrees. We've been having an incredibly mild winter so far.
Good luck!

Thanks! I just decided to go with the shuttle service from the airport to my hotel...about the same as renting a car, and I don't have to deal with the hassle of driving. I heard from admissions that a lot of students take a cab to the interview...so guess that's how I'll be getting around. Looking forward to seeing Ames and the school....
 
No the interviewers don't know anything about you except your name. They ask you to introduce yourself so that way they can get to know you.
 
No the interviewers don't know anything about you except your name. They ask you to introduce yourself so that way they can get to know you.

So they literally dont even have our experiences? I dont want to waste time explaining my experiences if they have them in front of them. Did anyone during the introduction go through their stuff like that?

Im interviewing on the 21st, super excited 🙂 Heard great things!

Also, this whole acceptances February 15th- anyone know if they are email or snail mail? I have an anatomy exam that afternoon and will lock myself out of my email if they are being sent that way until after the exam
 
So they literally dont even have our experiences? I dont want to waste time explaining my experiences if they have them in front of them. Did anyone during the introduction go through their stuff like that?

Im interviewing on the 21st, super excited 🙂 Heard great things!

Also, this whole acceptances February 15th- anyone know if they are email or snail mail? I have an anatomy exam that afternoon and will lock myself out of my email if they are being sent that way until after the exam

Nope, they know your name and thats it. You can talk about your experiences briefly in your introduction but through the interview they tend to ask about your experiences anyway.

On February 15th they change your status on their page and then I think they send an email out afterwards. I'm going to attempt not to look at my status page until later in the afternoon, but we'll see how well that goes! lol:xf:
 
So they literally dont even have our experiences? I dont want to waste time explaining my experiences if they have them in front of them. Did anyone during the introduction go through their stuff like that?

The trick is to briefly touch on some of your main experiences, without rambling, in my introduction I mentioned them, and then while they asked questions they pulled from my introduction and asked me questions by relating them to my experiences. Also, depending on your experiences and your interviewers some take a big interest in certain experiences and want to know more about them. If they want to know more they will ask, otherwise I wouldn't go into great depth and ramble on about all your experiences!
 
Thanks so much! I've had 3 rejections in the past 24 hours so all of a sudden this interview is a huge deal with lots of pressure. Just want to make sure I am fully prepared! I've only heard great things about it so I am really looking forward to it. Thanks everyone, hoping to meet all of you when we are class mates (not jinxing!) 🙂
 
Just declined my interview for this weekend, so I hope someone here gets some good news soon 🙂
 
Is anyone else still in committee review? I haven't heard yes or no yet...could it be possible that I am on some sort of unspoken waitlist for an interview or did they just forget to change my status to rejected?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone else still in committee review? I haven't heard yes or no yet...could it be possible that I am on some sort of unspoken waitlist for an interview or did they just forget to change my status to rejected?

I think somewhere up in this thread someone mentioned being on a waitlist for interviews and, if they don't hear by friday, it's pretty much a rejection. 🙁 I just wrote them today to decline my interview, so I'm really hoping one of you guys gets it!!!!!!!!!! :xf::xf:
 
Is anyone else still in committee review? I haven't heard yes or no yet...could it be possible that I am on some sort of unspoken waitlist for an interview or did they just forget to change my status to rejected?

I am still in committee review as well. I am so ready to just get an official rejection already.
 
The BS thing about it is that they don't even let you know regardless. This is my 2nd time applying to Iowa, and the 2nd time where I haven't heard a peep. Iowa, just give me the rejection already. Jeez.
 
Have they sent out rejections yet? The last interviews are tomorrow and Sunday. I highly doubt they would actually invite anyone now. I don't get why I'm still in committee review when it's fairly obvious that at this point I won't get an interview.
 
Have they sent out rejections yet? The last interviews are tomorrow and Sunday. I highly doubt they would actually invite anyone now. I don't get why I'm still in committee review when it's fairly obvious that at this point I won't get an interview.

You're in Nebraska correct? Last year after I found out I didn't get into the ISU/UNL program, I did not realize that Iowa considered my app for OOS. However, I never heard anything from them. So I have a feeling it'll be the same this year. I won't hear a thing 😡