Iowa State C/O 2016

Started by BakedZiti
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Got in on an OOS position, still can't believe it!!! Loved the school during my interview, its going to be tough to make a decision
 
Congrats to all! I was accepted OOS as well! I loved the school during my visit--the new expansions were very impressive. Not many schools can say they just invested $41 million into new facilities.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got in on an OOS position, still can't believe it!!! Loved the school during my interview, its going to be tough to make a decision

I see your location in Blacksburg, VA, so as a fellow Hokie I say go for ISU! I'm a first year there, now, and I absolutely love it! Congratulations!
 
Congrats everyone! I also got in at ISU and as a South Dakota resident am hoping to get a contract. Does anyone know the process for applying for the contract? My acceptance letter said to call the South Dakota Board of Regents but I would like some further details if possible. THANKS!
 
Congrats everyone! I also got in at ISU and as a South Dakota resident am hoping to get a contract. Does anyone know the process for applying for the contract? My acceptance letter said to call the South Dakota Board of Regents but I would like some further details if possible. THANKS!

When I called she said that they send out packages to the top 6(I'm not sure how they rank this) accepted SD kids. If anyone declines they just go down the list. She said last year they got the list from ISU about Feb 23.
 
Anyone know if people were called off the list prior to April? If someone declines a spot you think they would call the next person on the list immediately and not wait until April....

any info would make me feel better, bad day 🙁
 
So who is excited? I am for sure going regardless of contract or out of state. Anyway, I am thinking about buying a trailer next to the vet school. It's more common than you think. Anyone else know of any good places to live? Hole in the walls to eat at? Bars to indulge? Places where my dog can run? PM me please.
 
I am! I'm still waiting to hear from two other schools but I really liked ISU! Pending any further acceptances, I'm planning on attending. I don't plan on living in the trailers, at least my first year--even though some people rave about them! I think I prefer to live closer to downtown/on campus rather than that close to the CVM. I know nothing about the restaurants/bars in Ames as I am wayyyy OOS. My interview/visit seems like sooo long ago (early December) that I'm beginning to forget what Ames looks like! And it rained the entire weekend 🙁
 
South Dakota residents, I just got a call from the Board of Shadowy figures a couple days back. They have contract positions picked out!

Call them if you are curious.
 
Hey thanks for the info! I just called and am 11th out of 19....dang it! I was really wishing for a contract. I'm crossing my fingers that 5 people before me don't want a contract or want to go to a different vet school. Anyone have any information about how many contracts are still available?!? I really want to go to ISU, without a contract U of M is cheaper....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I called yesterday, I'm #8, she told me that 5 people had already taken spots, and she was waiting for another to respond, then I'm first alternate, keep my fingers crossed that that person goes somewhere else!
 
I am heading out to Iowa over my spring break to look at trailers! Having a puppy, it would be easiest to be that close and be able to let her out at lunch time and to walk to class in the morning.. Is there a facebook group for our class so we can meet eachother? Is anyone else from CT driving out this fall? Maybe we could drive out together or in a caravan to make it more fun, or get to know eachother 🙂 PM me about all this if youre interested! 🙂😀
 
I'm either going trailer or right down the street in a townhouse. I am moving out July 15 to August 1.

I'm all for a facebook group.
 
Hi all--I just created a facebook group for those that have committed to ISU this fall! Just search "ISU CVM Class of 2016".
 
Hmm...try clicking on "Groups" in the left sidebar after you search for it. It's an open group and should be searchable. Let me know if my suggestion works.
 
Really? I don't get it. I created an open group so it should be searchable. I tried troubleshooting on facebook:

"For all types of groups (open, closed and secret), group members can add their friends. Other people can request to join an open or closed group and be confirmed by a group admin."

Am I interpreting that correctly: you don't have to be my friend to join the group?

I don't know--if you have other ideas I'm all ears. If someone else wants to try creating the group please do so as I am not the most proficient facebooker!
 
I believe you may have to add 1 person of your "friends" for the group to start (takes more than 1 person to be a group haha 😀) - then it will be open to everyone from there. You can simply delete that initial friend if he/she wasn't supposed to be part of the group initially, once additional people join. Hope that helps and it works. 🙂
 
Last edited:
Well, I will join this group. I feel like maybe I should clean up my profile so you can judge accordingly.
 
I did the "invite a friend first" thing already. You can't create the group unless you do that. The group has been created with two members. The settings say its open. I really don't know what to do...
 
Looks like people are slowly joining.
I had a few friends not on SDN join. Looking forward to seeing you all on 8/17/12.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My fiance and I just decided that Ames is where were meant to be so ISU here I come regardless of contract! I'm willing to pay a little extra to go to my dream school! Cant wait to spend countless hours in the library with all if you as well as partaking in some "liquid therapy". We plan on living close by in an apartment as we have a dog. Have any of you any of you heard anything about the apartments in Ames? Ive heard there's a new one nearby but am not sure what its called. Hope the planning is going well!
 
Is anyone else on the alternate list still waiting for them to post our rankings? Has anyone received their rank yet?
 
still waiting as well.....are they just going to post them or do we have to contact them....
 
The school just posted our list of books for next semester, and I know in undergrad I had instances were I bought "required" books that we literally never opened, not even for superfluous reading. So, if there are any VM2s, -3s, or -4s out there that can provide us incoming VM1s some insight on our books, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and below is the link to our book order form:

http://vetmed.iastate.edu/sites/def...-students/VM 1 Fall 2012a Book Order Form.pdf
 
The school just posted our list of books for next semester
I would recommend Miller's, Evans/DeLahunta, and the Coulson radiology atlas. You can get by pretty well without the others though I have found the Cunningham physiology text useful on occasion. You'll use Evans/DeLahunta extensively during anatomy lab (at least most people in my class did). You can probably get by okay without Miller's but they do like to pull exam questions from it. I used it mostly for the images but also read it as needed. And the Coulson atlas definitely a must for first year radiology -- and hang onto it, because you'll also use it during third year radiology!

In the next few months you will be bombarded with emails from upperclassmen selling their books, so don't feel like you have to order them now.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions 🙂
 
@cuitlamiztli

Thank you, that's a lot of help! It's nice to know what you actually use and what is worth buying. For the classes that you didn't use the required books: did you guys just use power points, or something?
 
For the classes that you didn't use the required books: did you guys just use power points, or something?
Yep, you'll get powerpoints (or other forms of notes) for almost every class. The instructors will usually tell you if you're responsible for information not presented in lecture. And I forgot to mention -- the library has all of the required texts on reserve, so you can utilize those if there's a reading and you don't have the book. Or borrow a friend's book.
Seriously, number 84, well not holding my breath to get in.🙁
Don't totally discount your chances! One of my classmates was originally in the 90s or low 100s and they weren't the last one accepted off the list! I hope you get good news this year, DVMDream (whether it's from ISU or not)! :luck::xf:
 
Hey everyone! I'm also one of those people on the alternate list... #46. Anyone have any idea what the likelihood is of me getting in at this point? I'm guessing that it varies from year to year, so I'm just waiting with my fingers crossed for now.

Thanks!
 
I called Kathy and she said they will be calling #61 next week... ugh this list is moving like molasses. Congrats to you Cyreno, I am assuming you accepted a position?
 
My friend went to the application review on the 7th, they said that they still had 8 spots to fill as of then. Hope this helps anyone who is still on the list!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm applying and I'm just stuck on the what makes iowa unique question. I want ze cowz! But lots of schools have cows....