iPad Apps, CHM reader/annotator?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fry

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on useful iPad apps for anesthesia? (I saw an old thread for iPhone apps, but it was a little dated)

Also looking to invest in a good CHM reader/annotator app for my textbooks. Any suggestions? I use iAnnotate for my pdf's, which is nice because any annotations I make while reading are saved on the "cloud" (e.g., Dropbox) to be viewable from any computer as well. I would ideally like something like this for my CHM files.

The App Store shows CHM+, CHM HD, CHMate, CHM Sharp. Does anyone have any good/bad feedback on these?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Would you mind educating me a little bit on this stuff? I am still an analog read the hard-copy paper, write some notes in ink on the sheet dinosaur. Thanks kindly!

Someone I know uses CHMmate. Most of the texts I have are through the kindle app. Can't annotate I don't believe. But I was never the person to write on a book anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
CHM sharp is free and has worked well for me so far.

CHM is a fundamentally flawed format for the iPad, however - its very clunky with the touch interface. Sometimes, though, it's the only format you've got (Costanzo...).

I have Miller as CHM and have been using CHMateLite which allows you to view one file. Since Miller is my only CHM file it was perfect for me. I think the app works well. If I acqurie additional texts as CHM then I would have no problem paying to upgrade. I've also been using MegaReader for my .epub files. Not sure if this app recognizes CHM. I downloaded it after CHMate so I've never looked into consolidating. It comes with 15-20 open source titles preloaded which I always appreciate.

Anyone know of a good torrent file out there with anesthesiology/CCM texts? The Miller CHM file is great. I also found Marino's ICU book but the formatting is all wrong and the diagrams do not coincide with the text. If only I received some book money I wouldn't be forced to torrent...

65 days until CA-1

CHM+ has worked well for me. I used the free version until I needed more than one file, and then paid for the full version. It does the text layout pretty well most of the time, has a search function, and seems to be updated often enough. Oddly all the CHM readers look kind of similar in the App Store, but this one I can vouch for at this point.

GoodReader is outstanding for PDFs.

Haven't tried it yet, but Calibre is a free program for your computer that will convert between multiple file types, including epub, pdf, mobi, and chm. I'm sure there'll be some quirks with the conversions.

Hi,

I tried a lot of .CHM readers, and my favorite is CHMate. You can highlight with it.

I use the Kindle app with the books I buy on kindle amazon, I think it's great. You can highlight on the iPad and it syncs with your computer and iPhone, which you can read on too. For that reason, I prefer that to .CHM.

For .pdf, GoodReader is great. You can highlight and take notes on it. It reads .doc. .ppt and .xls too, but you can't modify them.

I use NoteTaker for taking notes with a pen during lectures. You can create .pdf and export them to GoodReader.

I tried Calibre in my search of the best apps, but it didn't work well. There was a lot of bugs and missing pages.

Scully_med

Hey everyone. The above link has expired. Anyone have any working links? Look liked the site had a lot of useful resources.

if your institution has a digital library, or if you have access to full texts on MD Consult, you can print many texts off in pdf form, and i use Papers2 for ipad, because it easily syncs with the desktop or laptop to generate a library, both of articles and book chapters. im not sure if it has the capability to read chm files but there are programs that convert them to pdf i believe.

anyway

www.mekentosj.com for Papers2

Dropbox is a MUST have :thumbup::thumbup:

I use CHMate though for my CHM files.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.