iPad Apps, CHM reader/annotator?

Started by fry
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fry

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any suggestions on useful iPad apps for anesthesia? (I saw an old thread for iPhone apps, but it was a little dated)

Also looking to invest in a good CHM reader/annotator app for my textbooks. Any suggestions? I use iAnnotate for my pdf's, which is nice because any annotations I make while reading are saved on the "cloud" (e.g., Dropbox) to be viewable from any computer as well. I would ideally like something like this for my CHM files.

The App Store shows CHM+, CHM HD, CHMate, CHM Sharp. Does anyone have any good/bad feedback on these?

Thanks.
 
Would you mind educating me a little bit on this stuff? I am still an analog read the hard-copy paper, write some notes in ink on the sheet dinosaur. Thanks kindly!
 
Someone I know uses CHMmate. Most of the texts I have are through the kindle app. Can't annotate I don't believe. But I was never the person to write on a book anyway.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
CHM sharp is free and has worked well for me so far.

CHM is a fundamentally flawed format for the iPad, however - its very clunky with the touch interface. Sometimes, though, it's the only format you've got (Costanzo...).
 
I have Miller as CHM and have been using CHMateLite which allows you to view one file. Since Miller is my only CHM file it was perfect for me. I think the app works well. If I acqurie additional texts as CHM then I would have no problem paying to upgrade. I've also been using MegaReader for my .epub files. Not sure if this app recognizes CHM. I downloaded it after CHMate so I've never looked into consolidating. It comes with 15-20 open source titles preloaded which I always appreciate.

Anyone know of a good torrent file out there with anesthesiology/CCM texts? The Miller CHM file is great. I also found Marino's ICU book but the formatting is all wrong and the diagrams do not coincide with the text. If only I received some book money I wouldn't be forced to torrent...

65 days until CA-1
 
CHM+ has worked well for me. I used the free version until I needed more than one file, and then paid for the full version. It does the text layout pretty well most of the time, has a search function, and seems to be updated often enough. Oddly all the CHM readers look kind of similar in the App Store, but this one I can vouch for at this point.

GoodReader is outstanding for PDFs.
 
Haven't tried it yet, but Calibre is a free program for your computer that will convert between multiple file types, including epub, pdf, mobi, and chm. I'm sure there'll be some quirks with the conversions.
 
Hi,

I tried a lot of .CHM readers, and my favorite is CHMate. You can highlight with it.

I use the Kindle app with the books I buy on kindle amazon, I think it's great. You can highlight on the iPad and it syncs with your computer and iPhone, which you can read on too. For that reason, I prefer that to .CHM.

For .pdf, GoodReader is great. You can highlight and take notes on it. It reads .doc. .ppt and .xls too, but you can't modify them.

I use NoteTaker for taking notes with a pen during lectures. You can create .pdf and export them to GoodReader.

I tried Calibre in my search of the best apps, but it didn't work well. There was a lot of bugs and missing pages.

Scully_med
 
if your institution has a digital library, or if you have access to full texts on MD Consult, you can print many texts off in pdf form, and i use Papers2 for ipad, because it easily syncs with the desktop or laptop to generate a library, both of articles and book chapters. im not sure if it has the capability to read chm files but there are programs that convert them to pdf i believe.

anyway

www.mekentosj.com for Papers2
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dropbox is a MUST have 👍👍


I use CHMate though for my CHM files.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.