Ipad or laptop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
While obviously the notebook is the way to go for general daily tasks, I think many medical folk need to take their blinders off as far as the iPad. I have all my medical references (i.e. scutt monkey, epocrates...) on a giant screen that is east to navigate, internet anywhere in the hospital for when I am asked to look something up, and the best of all I have set up with IT to have remote access to the hospitals EMR. So I can be anywhere and check up to date medical records and has saved me big before on rounds. The only reason I need a nurses station is to print morning reports.

Really, I would not use it if I didnt have EMR access and wireless authorization... so make sure your IT dept can even allow for that before you drop the money on it

Yup. I know a guy who runs IT for a fairly large hospital system and they are planning on purchasing 1000s iPads in the next few years for residents and attendings (NPs, PAs, and everyone else will get iPod Touches so that's another reason to go to medical school:laugh:).

You can't do this even WITH "an insanely expensive cable or something."

Depends on if you consider the $30 USB Camera Connection Kit insanely expensive:
http://time-more.com/ipad

No you can't and that's a huge drawback. There is no place for a USB. I think that though the iPAD has good note taking skills it's more of a recreational device.

USB Camera Connection Kit gives you the USB port:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

Members don't see this ad.

The iPad is a giant iphone. You can get both, but if you could only afford one of the two, make it the laptop.

agreed, apple just took their iphone made it bigger and called it the ipad. Marketing at its finest. I would get a macbook or a macbook pro personally but no matter what your stance on the mac line is do not get an ipad and expect it to be sufficient for school or anything other than entertaining you during a layover.

6914047011.jpg

Though I have to say, an iMat (or iWall?) would be pretty cool

Members don't see this ad :)
you are a freshman in college, put that money away for something useful, like grey goose and hit the 24/7 computer labs. avoiding hangovers is pretty clutch