Ipad or laptop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XeReX

Aspiring Surgeon
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas i am entering college in fall as a freshman and i am confused on what should i get for college a laptop or an ipad. My real close friend has an ipad and he said that get an ipad its better than a laptop, but i can't decide. so if you guys can give your ideas, it would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Ummmm....get a laptop. I don't even know why you're having this debate. The iPad is not a full-fledged computer. You'll want to do things in college...like say...have a real keyboard to type on, make powerpoint presentations, run advanced software that isn't made for the iPhone Operating System.

You'd be silly to just buy an iPad. It doesn't replace a real computer, it supplements it.

Notebook PC or Macbook. With all the Flash applets classes use these days, having an iPad that doesn't support it is a great way to find out that, yes, Flash is still used by thousands of classes in the United States and that, no, your iPad really doesn't support it natively.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above posts. The ipad is very limited in what it can do.

Ummmm....get a laptop. I don't even know why you're having this debate. The iPad is not a full-fledged computer. You'll want to do things in college...like say...have a real keyboard to type on, make powerpoint presentations, run advanced software that isn't made for the iPhone Operating System.

You'd be silly to just buy an iPad. It doesn't replace a real computer, it supplements it.

:thumbup:

Don't expect productivity to be possible with an iPad, especially not on the level you'll need for college.

The iPad is a giant iphone. You can get both, but if you could only afford one of the two, make it the laptop.

:thumbup: Seriously, it's a no-brainer. The iPad isn't built to do what even the most basic laptop is capable of, no matter how much Apple says it is.

I don't even think the iPad has any sort of word processor, or really any program that you could write in...does it?

And I don't care how savvy you are, it will probably always take 10x the amount of time to type something as it does on a standard keyboard.

Not to mention the difference in specs/capabilities that others have already mentioned, that you can look up.

I don't even think the iPad has any sort of word processor, or really any program that you could write in...does it?

And I don't care how savvy you are, it will probably always take 10x the amount of time to type something as it does on a standard keyboard.

Not to mention the difference in specs/capabilities that others have already mentioned, that you can look up.

You can get iWork for iPad with Pages (Word), Numbers (Excel) and Keynote (Powerpoint). And with the USB Camera Connector it will recognize USB keyboards.

Not that I think he should get the iPad instead of an laptop.

You get the iPad if you want a cute device to browse the web and play games with.

Nah. You get an iPad if you already own a MacBook Air, iMac, MacMini, MacPro, iPod (shuffle, nano, classic, and touch), some Mac t-shirts and hats, and an iPhone 4 (to replace the obsolete 3).

You get a laptop if you want to actually do stuff, rather than just look like you're doing stuff.

I don't see how this could be a legitimate question. One is for work, the other is for image.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah. You get an iPad if you already own a MacBook Air, iMac, MacMini, MacPro, iPod (shuffle, nano, classic, and touch), some Mac t-shirts and hats, and an iPhone 4 (to replace the obsolete 3).

You get a laptop if you want to actually do stuff, rather than just look like you're doing stuff.

I don't see how this could be a legitimate question. One is for work, the other is for image.

it's my understanding though that you can read stuff on it, maybe like a kindle? but really, for the price, you might as well get a netbook...

it's my understanding though that you can read stuff on it, maybe like a kindle? but really, for the price, you might as well get a netbook...
You can get a netbook and kindle for the same price as an ipad. No contest, ipad is a joke for what you want to do in college. You're going to try so hard to make it work that's it frustrating.

Get a laptop/netbook.

Get a laptop. The iPad is a joke and simply a marketing scam. Complete utter waste of money with little usability beyond its apple proprietary components. And this is coming from a mac user.

Don't expect productivity to be possible with an iPad, especially not on the level you'll need for college.

Actually, it works pretty well for med school, but I imagine I'm an isolated case. Even so, I would recommend, as Compass suggested, a netbook or a nice MacBook.:thumbup:

I recently bought the new MacBook Pro for med school to supplement my desktop computer.

Anyway. Do the following:

(1) Student Discount MacBook Pro, 13" base model: $1099
(2) Free iPod Touch: $199
(3) Free Wireless Printer: $99
Total: $1397 (without tax)
-$300 rebates (iPod Touch/Printer)
- $50 eBay Printer
-$150 eBay iPod Touch
=$900 Mac Laptop

That's my personal suggestion if you want something small, portable, relatively inexpensive and functional. PCs are good too, and cheaper. But I prefer the Mac OS.

Actually, it works pretty well for med school, but I imagine I'm an isolated case. Even so, I would recommend, as Compass suggested, a netbook or a nice MacBook.:thumbup:

When I was in college everyone rocked desktops with huge CRT monitors. That was fun luggin that bish around when moving. Seriously though...I was a freshmen 9 years ago...how things have changed in such a short amount of time boggles my mind

But laptop all the way.

I recently bought the new MacBook Pro for med school to supplement my desktop computer.

Anyway. Do the following:

(1) Student Discount MacBook Pro, 13" base model: $1099
(2) Free iPod Touch: $199
(3) Free Wireless Printer: $99
Total: $1397 (without tax)
-$300 rebates (iPod Touch/Printer)
- $50 eBay Printer
-$150 eBay iPod Touch
=$900 Mac Laptop

That's my personal suggestion if you want something small, portable, relatively inexpensive and functional. PCs are good too, and cheaper. But I prefer the Mac OS.

My current Hp Dv7 laptop is on the verge of death after only one year...and I am also about to purchase a macbook pro 15 incher. Were you a PC user prior to this? I have very limited mac experience. Care to post about the pros and cons? How is it getting used to a mac? I am pretty excited to make the switch. I just got a nice epson wireless printer/copier/fax and now I just need the good laptop to seal the deal.

Have you guys even used it? my friend has the ipad and i used it its awesome, and the thing i like most about is that i wont have to buy books, i can just download books and read them whenever i want. And it has so many apps. But i am in a real dilemma, i kinda sorta wanna get both laptop and and ipad, but aint got money for both. So i cant decide what to do. i know all of you said get a laptop or a net book, but i cant decide which one to get.

My current Hp Dv7 laptop is on the verge of death after only one year...and I am also about to purchase a macbook pro 15 incher. Were you a PC user prior to this? I have very limited mac experience. Care to post about the pros and cons? How is it getting used to a mac? I am pretty excited to make the switch. I just got a nice epson wireless printer/copier/fax and now I just need the good laptop to seal the deal.

I used to have a Dell 15" laptop for 5 years (college + 1 year post grad). But it died.

I've used Macs a ton before (you find for some reasons many professors in academia prefer Mac to PC...so all the labs I worked in always were Mac labs). Mac OS X is easy to adjust to. It's a very user friendly system. You won't have any trouble. If you're still a student, you get a free printer and iPod touch with your Mac purchase if you do it before the school year starts.

I'd still suggest the 13" model though. Personally, I just don't consider 15" laptops as "portable". Just buy a nice big monitor to plug it into when you're at home and you're set. But, that's personal preference really.

Sure, until you burn your retinas off from looking at that bright, glossy screen. IMO the Kindle is way better.

I used to have a Dell 15" laptop for 5 years (college + 1 year post grad). But it died.

I've used Macs a ton before (you find for some reasons many professors in academia prefer Mac to PC...so all the labs I worked in always were Mac labs). Mac OS X is easy to adjust to. It's a very user friendly system. You won't have any trouble. If you're still a student, you get a free printer and iPod touch with your Mac purchase if you do it before the school year starts.

I'd still suggest the 13" model though. Personally, I just don't consider 15" laptops as "portable". Just buy a nice big monitor to plug it into when you're at home and you're set. But, that's personal preference really.

haha im rockin a 17 inch right now! So a 15 would be very portable compared to this beast. I am not still a student so I guess I dont get the printer or ipod touch. The touch would likely end up on ebay because i already have a touch...and i use my droid for music nowadays anyway. I cant wait for macbook pro though....I am waiting on the IRS for my first time homebuyers 8000 dollars....come on IRS!!!

haha im rockin a 17 inch right now! So a 15 would be very portable compared to this beast. I am not still a student so I guess I dont get the printer or ipod touch. The touch would likely end up on ebay because i already have a touch...and i use my droid for music nowadays anyway. I cant wait for macbook pro though....I am waiting on the IRS for my first time homebuyers 8000 dollars....come on IRS!!!

Haha then the macbook pro will be portable. Mac laptops tend to be smaller/lighter than comparable PC laptops.

You can also easily get the education discount even if you aren't a student. Just go to their Education Store, select you undergrad college as your home institution, and order away. They don't really check up on it.

Have you guys even used it? my friend has the ipad and i used it its awesome, and the thing i like most about is that i wont have to buy books, i can just download books and read them whenever i want. And it has so many apps. But i am in a real dilemma, i kinda sorta wanna get both laptop and and ipad, but aint got money for both. So i cant decide what to do. i know all of you said get a laptop or a net book, but i cant decide which one to get.

No, nobody's used it, we're all mistaken, that's why everyone is saying the exact same thing!

The iPad is a device designed primarily to consume content. You can read books on it, watch movies, browse the parts of the web which don't use Flash, etc. However, its ability to be used as a device to create anything or to be productive is incredibly limited. A Mac can run Microsoft Office or your choice of other productivity software (real office suites). An iPad can run a limited version of iWork or some other third-party half-assed productivity programs.

The iPad is an oversized iPhone - literally, it runs the same operating system as the iPhone. Oh, and even if you got some good software for it, try typing an essay on the iPad's on-screen keyboard. Sure, you can haul around a bluetooth keyboard for the iPad, but at that point why not just get a laptop?

Everyone is saying the same thing for a reason. The iPad is a cool gadget, but it's basically a toy. It can be used for some limited work if you really need to and are willing to compromise a lot of ease of use - let's say you're traveling and need to reply to emails while you're gone but don't want to haul a laptop, you could get away with using an iPad for that. But that doesn't change the fact that an iPad cannot replace the functionality of a laptop. You're buying into Apple's marketing hype. Get a laptop.

You lose a lot of functionality with an ipad, which is essential for college. But with that said an ipad is a handy device to have, especially because I have a couple of my textbooks on it, have pages and keynote and so on. So, you have access to applications on the go in an ultraportable device. But I don't think I can see my self just having an ipad and not a laptop.

and this is good advice

Just get a netbook without an OS and install a Linux distro on it. Cheap and ultra functional. :love:

i swear i need to look into this linux thing. even if i always pronounce it linus in my head, like the snoopy character. is linux something that a regular person can figure out, or do you need some serious computer background to do it?

This thread is hilarious. You shouldn't even be considering an Ipad instead of an actual PC or Mac laptop. The Ipad is nothing more than a giant Ipod.

i swear i need to look into this linux thing. even if i always pronounce it linus in my head, like the snoopy character. is linux something that a regular person can figure out, or do you need some serious computer background to do it?

You don't need to be a computer guru to use it. In fact, when any of my friends use my computer they have no problems with it. I'd recommend Ubuntu, as it has the largest support and is the most user friendly.

What you can do is create an install disk and when you boot from it, it gives you the option to demo it for as long as desired without modifying your computer. That way you can get a feel for what it's like.

But there is a bit of a learning curve. Expect 2 weeks of confusion and adjustment. So if you decide to make the jump, do it over summer break or Christmas vacation or something so you're not dealing with it during class.

If you're asking this question, you probably shouldn't use Linux.

Linux is not something you just pick up and use. Mac and Windows are both intuitively easier to use out of box. Showing people command line Linux is like telling them that you use DOS to control your computer. They go WUUUUT and then they stick to the Linux GUI.

Linux is not something you just pick up and use. Mac and Windows are both intuitively easier to use out of box. Showing people command line Linux is like telling them that you use DOS to control your computer. They go WUUUUT and then they stick to the Linux GUI.

Even just sticking to the GUI > Windows or Mac as far as cost effectiveness and stability goes. Sure, it defeats some of the purpose of Linux but just being a user doesn't mean you have some obligation to learn how to use the terminal. It's perfectly okay to use the GUI the vast majority of the time and just use term when it's absolutely necessary.

Hey fellas i am entering college in fall as a freshman and i am confused on what should i get for college a laptop or an ipad. My real close friend has an ipad and he said that get an ipad its better than a laptop, but i can't decide. so if you guys can give your ideas, it would be great.

Laptop. Get a laptop. I was gifted an ipad and it's pretty and good for notetaking during class but useless for studying. Apple won't let you download external programs onto it, can't see flash videos, I could go on and on.

Honestly, I never would have bought one with my own $$, just get a paper notebook to take notes w/ during class.

Good luck. :)

A accurate description of this debate can be elegantly said in one sentence. A laptop is great at making content, an iPad is great at consuming content.

iPads are fantastic at watching movies, reading emails, browsing YouTube, and so forth. However in college you're computer will be your workhorse. You need to make lab reports, produce long and complicated papers, create graphs and data charts, type long emails, etc.

You don't need to be a computer guru to use it. In fact, when any of my friends use my computer they have no problems with it. I'd recommend Ubuntu, as it has the largest support and is the most user friendly.

What you can do is create an install disk and when you boot from it, it gives you the option to demo it for as long as desired without modifying your computer. That way you can get a feel for what it's like.

But there is a bit of a learning curve. Expect 2 weeks of confusion and adjustment. So if you decide to make the jump, do it over summer break or Christmas vacation or something so you're not dealing with it during class.

:eek:

If you're asking this question, you probably shouldn't use Linux.

that's what i figured :p

command line linux? dos? goodness gracious i think i'll stay far far away...:laugh:

ps related to my earlier linux/linus thing. i looked up linux, and the creator's name is linus! so i'm not too far off with my odd snoopy reference. just thought i'd share... in case anyone cared...

IPad is specifically designed to be used when you are doing your business in a restroom :laugh::laugh::laugh:

While obviously the notebook is the way to go for general daily tasks, I think many medical folk need to take their blinders off as far as the iPad. I have all my medical references (i.e. scutt monkey, epocrates...) on a giant screen that is east to navigate, internet anywhere in the hospital for when I am asked to look something up, and the best of all I have set up with IT to have remote access to the hospitals EMR. So I can be anywhere and check up to date medical records and has saved me big before on rounds. The only reason I need a nurses station is to print morning reports.

Really, I would not use it if I didnt have EMR access and wireless authorization... so make sure your IT dept can even allow for that before you drop the money on it

Can you even plug in an ordinary USB device to an iPAD without buying an insanely expensive cable or something?

You WILL need a USB at least once when a teacher presents a class and is sharing the file to anyone with a usb and computer handy.

You can't do this even WITH "an insanely expensive cable or something."

Can you even plug in an ordinary USB device to an iPAD without buying an insanely expensive cable or something?

You WILL need a USB at least once when a teacher presents a class and is sharing the file to anyone with a usb and computer handy.

No you can't and that's a huge drawback. There is no place for a USB. I think that though the iPAD has good note taking skills it's more of a recreational device.

While obviously the notebook is the way to go for general daily tasks, I think many medical folk need to take their blinders off as far as the iPad. I have all my medical references (i.e. scutt monkey, epocrates...) on a giant screen that is east to navigate, internet anywhere in the hospital for when I am asked to look something up, and the best of all I have set up with IT to have remote access to the hospitals EMR. So I can be anywhere and check up to date medical records and has saved me big before on rounds. The only reason I need a nurses station is to print morning reports.

Really, I would not use it if I didnt have EMR access and wireless authorization... so make sure your IT dept can even allow for that before you drop the money on it

Yeah I've seen a lot of doctors that want or
Do have this for these purposes, so I guess it's good for these purposes. So it may be more than a recreational device if you use it for these purposes. But I don't think an undergrad will need this,
Perhaps it's better for med Students and MD's.