Technology iPhone 3g!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxiousnadd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with medical software for the iphone? Although the 3g isn't out yet, I'm looking to get one very soon when it comes out.

If anyone has any experience with software for the iphone, please respond!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any experience with medical software for the iphone? Although the 3g isn't out yet, I'm looking to get one very soon when it comes out.

If anyone has any experience with software for the iphone, please respond!

Thanks!

I saw part of the keynotes any WOW! all of that is very impressive and it should be interesting to see where it goes in medicine. A few of my mothers partners have them in their practice I'm sure they will be all over this.

They had a program specifically to help medstudents learn different parts of anatomy. Kinda geeky I know...but I'm disappointed over the release date. I was hoping it'd be this week...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, the medical software was simply amazing. I have an AT&T Tilt which would absolutely come to a crawl if I tried to run imaging software like that. The new features may actually pull me away from the Windows Mobile side. I have been using pocket PCs since I was a freshman in college and they are truly quite powerful and have technically more features, but the features dont come to together quite as nicely as with the 3G iphone. I wonder if AT&T will offer the $199 price for current customers who are not done with their contract?

I just finished watching the Keynote (something about Jobs's voice just puts me in a trance) and like all of you....WOW! The two 3rd-party applications dealing with medical students and medical imaging were amazing! I still have two years to go for my current phone service, but hopefully by the time I become a 3rd year, I might consider getting the iPhone (at whatever generation it will be at then).

If only it were available to more service providers...

excuse my ignorance, but any of you mind adding a link? I have no clue what ya'll are talking about...

I thought you could get iPhones "unlocked"?

Maybe so... something I have not heard of, though worth checking into.

Hmm, it seems that you can buy unlocked iphones or unlock it by yourself here: http://iphone.unlock.no
Hope that helps! ;)

I thought you could get iPhones "unlocked"?

The old iPhone can be unlocked. The new 3G iPhone cannot be. Or more technically they make you sign up for AT&T service w/credit checks before you walk out of the store.

Members don't see this ad :)
The old iPhone can be unlocked. The new 3G iPhone cannot be. Or more technically they make you sign up for AT&T service w/credit checks before you walk out of the store.

Darn, that's brutal.

Darn, that's brutal.

The iPod Touch costs $100 more than the iPhone 3G for the 8GB model. Apple is obviously selling the phone for less than it's "worth" to get more units in people's hands.

To be truthful, for 99% of the phones you get, instead of paying for the phone right at the get-go like the first iPhone, you pay it over time. Sadly, most people don't understand this. In this world, nothing is "free as in beer".

Has anyone heard if Epocrates will be available with the launch of the App store? My subscription ran out last week and come July 1 I'm going to feel naked on the wards without Epocrates!!!

Never underestimate the power of the uber apple hackers. they will find a way. They found a way with the itouch and the older iphone (along with the new software updates that locked them up again) and I'm sure....I know....they will be able to do it again.

Never underestimate the power of the uber apple hackers. they will find a way. They found a way with the itouch and the older iphone (along with the new software updates that locked them up again) and I'm sure....I know....they will be able to do it again.

I didn't say "it never will be." Perhaps I should have been more explicit in saying "Don't plan on buying the iPhone 3G and using it on other carriers." Besides, I already gave a caveat that said you can't take the phone out of the store without signing up for AT&T service. No doubt the firmware is the same, but this won't be as easy as getting the first one unlocked because you have to get the thing out of the store first.

Also, T-Mobile doesn't not have the correct 3G frequency for the iPhone 3G to work correctly. There is little reason to unlock the phone besides GPS.

If only it were available to more service providers...
Hey don't blame Apple. Verizon walked out on them and didn't like Apple's terms AT&T did and they won out. It's a GSM phone anyway so your choices are AT&T and T-Mobile. I'm not sure if Apple will ever make a nonGSM version for the Verizon network because they would have to have two different product lines and since the rest of the world uses GSM and not TCMA I doubt Apple will make a TCMA version, but who knows I could be wrong.

Anyone know?
I don't think anyone here knows. You would have to contact the vendor. The only Apps we are sure that will be released on or near 7/11 were the ones stated at the WWBD 08. Why not call and ask them?

I'm sure they will hack it to work on other networks, but they will still be obligated to their AT&T contract that they signed when they purchased the iPhone. There won't be any online orders (at least that's what I've been reading), and you will be required to sign a 2-year contract with AT&T when you purchase the iPhone at the Apple store or through AT&T.

If you unlock it, you can cancel your contract, but you'll be stuck paying a hefty fine for canceling. If you cancel within 30 days, you'll have to return the phone.

The new I-phone is not actually cheaper. They raised the plan costs by $10, so now you actually end up paying more.

The new I-phone is not actually cheaper. They raised the plan costs by $10, so now you actually end up paying more.

The $30 a month is the same as any other 3G phone. Saying it's "raised" because it's an iPhone would be incorrect, but it was raised because it has 3G. And it should be understandable. My area didn't have 3G 3 weeks ago but it does now. Someone has to pay for it.

I didn't say "it never will be." Perhaps I should have been more explicit in saying "Don't plan on buying the iPhone 3G and using it on other carriers." Besides, I already gave a caveat that said you can't take the phone out of the store without signing up for AT&T service. No doubt the firmware is the same, but this won't be as easy as getting the first one unlocked because you have to get the thing out of the store first.

Also, T-Mobile doesn't not have the correct 3G frequency for the iPhone 3G to work correctly. There is little reason to unlock the phone besides GPS.

I'm sure they will hack it to work on other networks, but they will still be obligated to their AT&T contract that they signed when they purchased the iPhone. There won't be any online orders (at least that's what I've been reading), and you will be required to sign a 2-year contract with AT&T when you purchase the iPhone at the Apple store or through AT&T.

If you unlock it, you can cancel your contract, but you'll be stuck paying a hefty fine for canceling. If you cancel within 30 days, you'll have to return the phone.

I'm usually up on the happenings of apple....but that I did not know. Thank you for enlightening me. On the other hand, I just read a story on cnet.com that the "mutual benefiting" part of the apple/at&t contract is over and now apple only profits when an iphone is sold, and at&t only profits when one is activated and used through them. The aim of the column was to make people happy because its possible, because of this lack of mutual benefit, that the iphone will be cut free from at&t and will available through other providers in the near future

I'm usually up on the happenings of apple....but that I did not know. Thank you for enlightening me. On the other hand, I just read a story on cnet.com that the "mutual benefiting" part of the apple/at&t contract is over and now apple only profits when an iphone is sold, and at&t only profits when one is activated and used through them. The aim of the column was to make people happy because its possible, because of this lack of mutual benefit, that the iphone will be cut free from at&t and will available through other providers in the near future
Locking of cell phones is a major concern to me... I encourage you to write your senators urging them to support the Cell Phone Consumer Empowerment Act (S. 2033), which forbids networks from locking cell phones to their particular network.

What if we had to buy a new TV when we switched cable companies?

Locking of cell phones is a major concern to me... I encourage you to write your senators urging them to support the Cell Phone Consumer Empowerment Act (S. 2033), which forbids networks from locking cell phones to their particular network.

What if we had to buy a new TV when we switched cable companies?
Locking of cell phones isn't that big of a deal to me. Since:
1) We don't have many carriers to choose from if you want GSM then you have either AT&T or Tmobile if you want TCMA then you either use verizon or sprint.

2) Consumers are usually unwilling to pay full price for a handset (people like their stuff cheap) so the carrier is forced to subsidize the handset which means the carrier wants to recoup its money for the handset this is why they give you a contract and charge you if you break it. You can't blame the service provider for giving you a discount and then wanting their money back over the course of two years.

3)When people switch carriers they usually decide to get a new phone since their current one is a few years old.

4)People have the option of buying unlocked cell phones if they want, you just have to find the right company on the Internet that sells them. The you can have your unlocked phone and choose your own provider.

5)After your contract if up and you want to unlock your phone (or if you plan on traveling internationally extensively) you can ask the provider to unlock your handset. I've done it with two phones on the AT&T network (not my iPhone tho) so it doesn't hurt to ask.

If there were a plethora of different service providers all using the same standard then that would be a problem but since different carriers use different networking standards it is a bad analogy between cable TV companies locking TV's. This is because all TV signals are broadcast the same way.

5)After your contract if up and you want to unlock your phone (or if you plan on traveling internationally extensively) you can ask the provider to unlock your handset. I've done it with two phones on the AT&T network (not my iPhone tho) so it doesn't hurt to ask.

Except this doesn't apply to the iPhone. AT&T refused to unlock my iPhone for use with an international SIM card in countries where they have no presence, even after getting a US Senator and a lawyer involved. My intention was not to leave AT&T. In fact, I've been an AT&T Wireless customer for 15 years (through BellSouth Mobility -> Cingular -> AT&T).

So, when your contract is up with AT&T, your iPhone will still be locked to AT&T. There is nothing you can do to use it on another network, even in areas where AT&T has no established network.

Except this doesn't apply to the iPhone. AT&T refused to unlock my iPhone for use with an international SIM card in countries where they have no presence, even after getting a US Senator and a lawyer involved. My intention was not to leave AT&T. In fact, I've been an AT&T Wireless customer for 15 years (through BellSouth Mobility -> Cingular -> AT&T).

So, when your contract is up with AT&T, your iPhone will still be locked to AT&T. There is nothing you can do to use it on another network, even in areas where AT&T has no established network.
I stand corrected. AFAIK the iPhone is an exception to the rule regarding unlocking. But hey look at it this way, with 70 countries and counting on the iPhone bandwagon you can just buy a new one in that country (if they have one) or you can upgrade to the 3G version and unlock the 1st generation version for use internationally. Not the ideal sitution but it works :p

Unlock it yourself! It's so easy. It only takes 10 minutes to do. :)

So...

Does anyone have any experience with the iPhone in the clinical setting?

I'll probably by it anyways because I've been waiting for this like the little boy that I am.

I'm a sucker for anything that can distract me. :)

So...

I'll probably by it anyways because I've been waiting for this like the little boy that I am.

I'm not sure anyone has. Up to this point its only been allowed web apps and the default apps built in. So there has been little use for it otherwise to relay information, however with epocrates coming there may be more use in the future.

So...

Well, right now the only major medical app most people can use is epocrates (see March 6th SDK event). Though Apple revealed that of the physicians that were looking to buy a phone in the next 12 months, a full third of them intend to buy an iPhone, making it their largest potential market by far. I'd say that's pretty good news for other developers to get in on the game and write stuff we'll be using!

Plus, for me who hasn't started med school yet, Netter's on my iPhone will be AWESOME! :love:

Thats a rough deal man. I'm leaving for Africa tomorrow and I called AT&T, told them the deal and they gave me an unlock code (I have an AT&T Tilt). I technically already unlocked for phone via other methods but I wanted to see if they would give me the code. I guess the iPhone is different.

I have personally been battling all week whether I should give up my Tilt which I got in like January to get the new iPhone. I've heard that when i start 3rd year, my school might give us money towards a PDA including iphones, so that might make me wait, but its does everything so much better.

If anything I think that i may wait and see until 3rd year.

Thats a rough deal man. I'm leaving for Africa tomorrow and I called AT&T, told them the deal and they gave me an unlock code (I have an AT&T Tilt). I technically already unlocked for phone via other methods but I wanted to see if they would give me the code. I guess the iPhone is different.

I have personally been battling all week whether I should give up my Tilt which I got in like January to get the new iPhone. I've heard that when i start 3rd year, my school might give us money towards a PDA including iphones, so that might make me wait, but its does everything so much better.

If anything I think that i may wait and see until 3rd year.

Since you already have a nice phone like the Tilt, I'd wait until next year. The real worry I have about the iPhone is the extended amount of time between charges as a medical student/resident/attending. If you're using the thing all the time, it's unlikely to survive the entire day.

iPhone 3G this Friday at 8am, who is going out and getting in line?

iPhone 3G this Friday at 8am, who is going out and getting in line?
I'm debating whether I should upgrade. The only reason I'm considering it is for more memory (although I would prefer 32 GB) and because 3G won't cause your voice calls to be routed directly to voicemail when you're receiving/sending data.

Definitely not getting in line for it though. I will do what I did when the original iPhone came out last year. Show up late and be in and out of the store in only 5 minutes. Seriously, I showed up at 10:30 pm last time and was out of the store with iPhone in hand in only 5 minutes. I'm not sure if they are open late for this event, but I will probably show up around 2 or 3 pm and try to do the same. If the wait is longer than 15 minutes, then I'll come back next week.

I'm debating whether I should upgrade. The only reason I'm considering it is for more memory (although I would prefer 32 GB) and because 3G won't cause your voice calls to be routed directly to voicemail when you're receiving/sending data.

Definitely not getting in line for it though. I will do what I did when the original iPhone came out last year. Show up late and be in and out of the store in only 5 minutes. Seriously, I showed up at 10:30 pm last time and was out of the store with iPhone in hand in only 5 minutes. I'm not sure if they are open late for this event, but I will probably show up around 2 or 3 pm and try to do the same. If the wait is longer than 15 minutes, then I'll come back next week.
I'll be in Albany that day and I figure that there will be smaller lines that last year. Only the hard core will show up before work so I don't expect many people in line during the AM. I'm upgrading because of the 3G and the GPS, wish it had more memory but we can't always get what we want.

I'll have to browse the App Store when it comes online on the 10th see what they have and if they have anything worth downloading.

Reading through this, I was wondering if there is a port for an SD card on the iPhones? Call me lazy or whatever, I just figured someone out there may know this and give more info. I haven't had a cell phone for years and I am a bit behind in the technology.

Thanks

Reading through this, I was wondering if there is a port for an SD card on the iPhones? Call me lazy or whatever, I just figured someone out there may know this and give more info. I haven't had a cell phone for years and I am a bit behind in the technology.

Thanks
No port for a SD card. It has built in 8GB or 16GB storage. No need for a SD card.

Hi pholks

I have been using skyscape applications on my Moto Q with MS mobile 6.0 since I switched over from my palm treo two years ago.

http://www.skyscape.com/iphone/iphoneintro.aspx

They have a nice software setup where you can download different content and it cross-references between programs (If you read about a drug indicated for a disease in a referrence text, you can click on the drug name and it will take you the drug database you have purchased).

I didnt switch over to the initial iphone release because they didnt allow for 3rd party apps. On the treo, I had harrisons, pkt med, wash u, archmides, etc etc. It was difficult to find 'cheap' software for the moto, so I went with skyscape and had to pick the ones i needed the most. With the iphone, most of the residents working with me could only access online programs, usually just epocrates, but when they didnt have internet connection they were SOL.

Now it seems Apple is allowing more developers the code to write programs for the iphone and skyscape is trumpeting themselves as being one of the first to do so. Most of their programs are available already for iphone as online access, with free trials to see if it works on your phone. They are working on downloadable programs but dont have em yet. The only bad thing is the price, which seems to be the same cost as the reference in paper format. You can always charge it to your bookfund if you are lucky enough to have one.

I was all set to buy the iphone until I heard that RIM is releasing the Blackberry thunder aka 9500 later this year which might be a iphone beater and available on my current carrier Verizon. So....I think I will wait and see how people fare with the iphone and new programs...

Hope that helps...

Last edited:

If you can wait, a 32GB version is likely to come out around February or so as that's when they came out with the 16GB version.

I was planning on getting a Palm Centro, but then I dusted off my old Palm TX and wasn't so sure if I wanted a cell phone version of the same thing.

Now I feel like I'm being pulled in by the Iphone hype. It is tempting. But $80-$100 cost per month is a lot for a medical resident. :scared:

Once you get over the novelty of the Iphone, how much do you actually use it to browse the internet, watch youtube, etc? Because there's computers everywhere these days.

I was planning on getting a Palm Centro, but then I dusted off my old Palm TX and wasn't so sure if I wanted a cell phone version of the same thing.

Now I feel like I'm being pulled in by the Iphone hype. It is tempting. But $80-$100 cost per month is a lot for a medical resident. :scared:

Once you get over the novelty of the Iphone, how much do you actually use it to browse the internet, watch youtube, etc? Because there's computers everywhere these days.

Well, you're at the hospital 90% of the time, so it doesn't matter that much to you, but to us new medical students, I DO get to see the sunlight often enough to want to browse the web from time to time. Plus, it's e-mail on the go! :p