Technology iPhone 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've had zero problems. I can't even reproduce the signal degradation.

WTF? Don't tell me you own a Mac now too.

hell-frozen-over.jpg

The iPhone 4 compared to HTC's Evo... hilarious. NSFW, language.

"It ****ing prints money!"

[youtube]FL7yD-0pqZg[/youtube]

Members don't see this ad :)
Then a few others the phone wouldn't work with their MAC and he had to go buy a new program from apple

They probably had to upgrade to the new version of iTunes which came out a few weeks ago. If they bought a program to get their iPhone to work with their computer then they did something wrong

No problem with the new iPhone. Again, I can't even replicate the signal problem. Like Slevin said above, you need to have the newest version of iTunes. Apple person told me this when he was activating my phone.

However, there is one problem, and I don't think it is the phone per se.

I have 5 minute consult. When I upgaded my 3GS to iOS4, the program runs fine. But when I synced my iPhone4 to iTunes and when I opened the program, all the lines are so closed together or even overlapping which I can't read.

Any suggestions? Some of my friends said to delete the program and re-download again.

Currently on 3GS and debating whether or not I want to move to iPhone 4 right now...... could pretty much sell my 3GS and upgrade for just about nothing.

I'm pretty tied/invested in the whole itunes music/app landscape so it just makes sense to stay with iPhone for now, otherwise I'd probably look seriously at an android phone. And really, I've been totally happy with my iphone and AT&T where I'm at is pretty good.

Well, yes. But Papers was the reason why. The hospital bought me an iPad.

Oh that's nice. Free iPad. I love papers. Great app for scientific PDF's.

Currently on 3GS and debating whether or not I want to move to iPhone 4 right now...... could pretty much sell my 3GS and upgrade for just about nothing.

I'm pretty tied/invested in the whole itunes music/app landscape so it just makes sense to stay with iPhone for now, otherwise I'd probably look seriously at an android phone. And really, I've been totally happy with my iphone and AT&T where I'm at is pretty good.

The sell the 3GS, because next year if you sell your 3GS you won't get as much for it and you'll have to spend cash out of your own pocket. Only thing that sucks is the delay between selling the 3GS and getting the iPhone 4 if you sell on eBay, happened to me had to use a Nokia POS for a week. Surprisingly I sent less than 20 texts because it was so annoying using the 1-9 keypad instead of a full keyboard

Members don't see this ad :)
Blue dog is not going to be happy about just buying a pre! :laugh:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2010-06-30-iphone30_ST_N.htm

Verizon Wireless to offer Apple iPhone in January

Verizon Wireless will start selling Apple's iPhone next year, ending AT&T's U.S. exclusive on the phone, say two people familiar with the plans.
The device will be available to customers in January, according to the people, who declined to be named because the information isn't public. Natalie Kerris, an Apple spokeswoman, and Jeffrey Nelson, a Verizon Wireless spokesman, declined to comment. AT&T also declined to comment. USA TODAY was unable to independently verify the reports.

Speculation on a Verizon iPhone has been rampant in the tech blogosphere. If the reports are true, the iPhone, which has been the sole domain of rival AT&T in the U.S. since June 2007, will give Verizon a boost in its smartphone competition, UBS analyst John Hodulik says. Verizon customers, who numbered 92.8 million at the end of the first quarter, may buy 3 million iPhones a quarter, he says.

"Apple is going to dramatically increase the number of devices it sells in the U.S. when exclusivity at AT&T ends," Hodulik says. "It's hard to ignore the quality issues that AT&T has faced."

Verizon Wireless, which is building a high-speed fourth-generation network, plans to unveil several devices that will run on the new technology in January at the Consumer Electronics Show, CEO Lowell McAdam has said. Verizon's CDMA-based wireless network differs from the GSM technology AT&T's network is based on.

The iPhone has helped AT&T add subscribers even as the U.S. mobile-phone market nears saturation. In the first three months of this year, about a third of AT&T's iPhone activations came from customers new to the carrier. Without those 900,000 new subscribers, AT&T might have posted a loss in contract customers that quarter, analysts say.
AT&T has battled customer complaints about its network and dedicated an extra $2 billion to upgrade it this year.

A Verizon partnership is a victory for Apple over rivals such as Research In Motion and Motorola, whose phones are promoted by the carrier. Motorola makes Droid phones that use Google's Android operating system. RIM makes BlackBerrys. "For Apple, it means a larger addressable market," says Andy Hargreaves, an analyst at Pacific Crest Securities. "It's also good news for Apple in that it will spread the load on the wireless data networks."

Apple has sold more than 50 million iPhones since their introduction. The latest version, iPhone 4, sold more than 1.7 million units in the first three days after its June 24 debut.

A release at Verizon in the first quarter would help Apple's sales in the U.S. grow to at least 15 million units next year from 11 million in 2010, Barclays Capital analysts said in a note Tuesday. Apple's suppliers have been ramping up production of components for a phone on Verizon's CDMA network, according to the research report.

I think it is still a little premature to be cursing not an additional 10 months to wait for the unconfirmed Verizon iPhone.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/200117/verizon_iphone_in_january_wait_a_minute.html

OMG, have you heard? The iPhone is coming to Verizon. Like, for real this time. It'll happen next January. Or maybe sometime this summer. Either way, it's practically a guarantee. Because, you know, sources with close knowledge of the situation have confirmed it.

If you find yourself shaking your head and sighing, you aren't alone. The Verizon iPhone rumors, reignited this week thanks to a new report by Bloomberg, have been floating around for years. And every time a fresh one emerges, the Internet and more than a few investors erupt in excitement.

The latest rumor, in case you haven't heard, is that Verizon will start selling Apple's iPhone in January of 2011. The info comes from -- you guessed it -- "people familiar with the plans."

Hey, it could be true. But just for some perspective, I thought I'd dig up some of the past instances where we've heard equally certain-sounding predictions about the iPhone's big future on Big Red.

Take a deep breath -- here we go.

September 2008: The iPhone Will Reach Verizon in Early 2009.

Back in the fall of 2008, Apple blog 9to5Mac.com published a report suggesting the iPhone would make its Verizon debut in 2009, possibly as early as January.

Citing a tipster who had "Verizon insider credentials," the blog said Apple was in final negotiations with Verizon and should have everything locked down by the end of the year.

April 2009: Scratch That -- The Verizon iPhone Is On for Early 2010.

After the early '09 Verizon iPhone rumor didn't pan out, it didn't take long for some new scuttlebutt to take its place. Last spring, the hot news was that 2009's iPhone would be the last one exclusive to AT&T, and the Verizon model would launch sometime in 2010.

October 2009: Oh Yeah! 70 Percent Chance of a Verizon iPhone in 2010.

The odds heated up in October when Piper analyst Chris Larsen predicted there was a 70 percent chance of Verizon getting the iPhone in 2010. In related news, your local TV weatherman predicts there's a 70 percent chance of it raining tomorrow; both numbers are equally meaningful.

October 2009: Can We Make That Late 2010?

That same month, Wall Street analyst Brian Marshall told clients Apple would bring its baby over to Verizon sometime in the second half of 2010.

Marshall, by the way, also said this past January that Apple's then-upcoming tablet -- what we now know as the iPad -- would utilize Verizon's data network. He even cited sources close to the situation.

"The tablet will be supported by multiple [mobile] carriers," Marshall said. "Definitely Verizon. I've been told that's a certainty."

January 2010: Hang On -- The Verizon iPhone Is Happening This Month!

Canaccord Adams analyst Peter Misek -- who may or may not now hold the title of "Canaccord Adams mail boy" -- went on the record in January as saying that Apple would be announcing a Verizon iPhone at its mysterious "latest creation" event (which, of course, turned out to be all about the iPad).

"Together with our semi-conductor partners, we have ascertained that there is a reasonable chance the Asian supply chain is prepping for mass production of a new iPhone in March, for availability in late Q2, likely June," Misek stated, as reported by the gang at All Things Digital. "The phone will be carried on Verizon and hence will operate on the CDMA network."

Whoops.

March 2010: OK, That Didn't Work. Let's Try Late 2010 Again.

Our ever-popular "people familiar with matters" piped up again in March, saying that a CDMA-ready version of the iPhone would hit assembly lines in September. Well, all righty, then. It's settled.

Unless...

May 2010: Maybe It'll Be In Early 2011?

Everyone's favorite analyst, Brian Marshall -- remember, the late-2010-for-iPhone-and-definitely-Verizon-for-iPad guy from above? -- came out of hiding last month to toss yet another bold prediction out into the world.

This time, Marshall said the Verizon iPhone would happen in the first quarter of 2011. He left out words like "certainty" and "definitely" this go-round, though.

What's next -- Marshall making predictions about when he'll next make predictions? Good grief.

Also in May: Verizon's Working on an iPhone Ad Campaign, and AT&T Actually Has the iPhone Till 2012.

Hmm. How about we just say these last two rumors cancel each other out?

Not that I wouldn't love a Verizon iPhone, but I waited long enough with my flip phone for the Verizon iPhone that never happened. Thus I do not regret my switch to Android in the least. Besides, January seems way too early. What's more likely is an announcement of an iPhone to run on Verizon's 4g network in 2011 - but likely late 2011 as Apple isn't going to want to put out a phone on a half-baked 4g network. That's what HTC is for ;) (not that I don't love my Evo).

Don't you know Southerndoc can't read?:laugh:
Exactly. In EM, our idea of the latest research is the fastest consultant. :laugh:

I'm happy to say my iPhone is prepared to ship. I'm a little jealous because the girl I'm dating just walked into an AT&T store today and bought one. Why didn't I do that?

Exactly. In EM, our idea of the latest research is the fastest consultant. :laugh:

I'm happy to say my iPhone is prepared to ship. I'm a little jealous because the girl I'm dating just walked into an AT&T store today and bought one. Why didn't I do that?

cause she's smarter than you

But now you have to wait till Tuesday/Wednesday to get the thing because of the holiday.

I think anyone who buys a Verizon iPhone rumor at this point is an idiot. How many years now have they been saying a Verizon iPhone was going to come out? Every time it's the same thing nothing ever materializes. Wake me up when they have it on shelves in the Verizon stores.

I think there was always hope for a Verizon iPhone, but never any actual date/rumor mentioned. The rumors were pretty accurate for the Pre when people were wondering when that was going to come out for Verizon.

And it's only 6 months away, not 10.

I think there was always hope for a Verizon iPhone, but never any actual date/rumor mentioned. The rumors were pretty accurate for the Pre when people were wondering when that was going to come out for Verizon.

And it's only 6 months away, not 10.

There has always been rumors regarding a Verizon iPhone, the one before this one was that we would see a Verizon iPhone at WWDC.

Here and here and here and here and here and here and here and again here.

Kinda actually tired of hearing about these Verizon rumors. The low down is that Verizon turned down the iPhone when Apple went to them with their idea and they lost out, big mistake on their part. Although this article is funny also, claims that Verizon is not interested in the iPhone. Sometimes I think allot of these rumors are fueled by Verizon themselves to keep people from jumping ship, put a rumor out there that the iPhone is going to Verizon and people will hold out just a little bit longer to wait and see. My take on the whole Verizon iPhone is this, it'll either happen or it won't but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

In other news check out this video Ducati motorcycle commercial filmed with iPhone 4. How sweet does that look. The only thing they didn't edit on the iPhone was for image stabilization

Blue dog is not going to be happy about just buying a pre! :laugh:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2010-06-30-iphone30_ST_N.htm

Nah. At this point, I'm with the others...I'll believe it when I see it.

Besides, I really like the Pre Plus. I wish it had broader app support, and that is indeed improving, but webOS kicks the iPhone's butt in some areas. True multitasking, OTA syncing, Mobile Hotspot, Classic, and a great notification system. It'll also support Flash very soon. Apple should be taking notes (although they are taking some of Palm's people, so maybe they are).

This is the kind of crap that baffles me when it comes to how people can support Apple so fanatically. They screw over their fans and anyone else they can:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/06/30/leaked.apple.docs.mashable/index.html?hpt=T2

Leak shows Apple's spin on iPhone 4 flaws

t1larg.iphone4.gi.jpg

Apple knows the phone has problems but will insist that users are simply "holding it wrong," document suggests.

http://topics.cnn.com/topics/Steve_Jobs

(Mashable) -- According to documents leaked to Boy Genius Report today, AppleCare representatives are being given a strong company line to deliver to unhappy iPhone 4 owners who complain about reception issues.
Employees are told to say that the device's reception performance "is the best we have ever shipped" and that its critical antenna flaws are "a fact of life in the wireless world." They are told not to perform service on iPhones with these problems and instead to give customers a PR-driven recitative instead.
In a nutshell, Apple knows the phone has problems but will insist that users are simply "holding it wrong."
These statements are dead ringers for CEO Steve Jobs' own assertions that the iPhone 4 antenna and reception issues do not, in fact, exist. "There is no reception issue," he told one user. But the very fact that this document exists suggests that Apple execs know there is indeed a widespread hardware flaw, even if they're unwilling to address it publicly at this time.
Outside the reality distortion field, on the other hand, we and many others have been able to duplicate the issue being discussed: When held by its sides, which are composed of a metal antenna band, the phone's reception quality drops dramatically. iPhone owners in our newsroom have seen reception decrease from five to two bars simply from holding the phone with two points of contact between the owner's hand and the antenna band.
One law firm is even preparing for a class-action lawsuit against Apple and is soliciting iPhone 4 customers to contact them about reception issues.
Also, while some folks have reported that using a bumper case prevents contact with the antenna band and preserves reception quality, AppleCare reps are being told to not give bumper cases to disgruntled users.
Here's the full text of the document as reported:
1. Keep all of the positioning statements in the BN handy -- your tone when delivering this information is important.
a. The iPhone 4's wireless performance is the best we have ever shipped. Our testing shows that iPhone 4's overall antenna performance is better than iPhone 3GS.
b. Gripping almost any mobile phone in certain places will reduce its reception. This is true of the iPhone 4, the iPhone 3GS, and many other phones we have tested. It is a fact of life in the wireless world.
c. If you are experiencing this on your iPhone 3GS, avoid covering the bottom-right side with your hand.
d. If you are experiencing this on your iPhone 4, avoid covering the black strip in the lower-left corner of the metal band.
e. The use of a case or Bumper that is made out of rubber or plastic may improve wireless performance by keeping your hand from directly covering these areas.
2. Do not perform warranty service. Use the positioning above for any customer questions or concerns.
3. Don't forget YOU STILL NEED to probe and troubleshoot. If a customer calls about their reception while the phone is sitting on a table (not being held) it is not the metal band.
4. ONLY escalate if the issue exists when the phone is not held AND you cannot resolve it.
5. We ARE NOT appeasing customers with free bumpers -- DON'T promise a free bumper to customers.

I got my iPhone 4 the day it came out.

I was initially aware of the antenna problem as I am readily able to reproduce it. I am right handed and when making calls have no issues, however when playing games or doing anything else and i hold the phone in my left palm with the joint of my thumb covering the antenna bridge, my phone signal would go 5 bars to 1 within 15 seconds. Wifi also slowed.

However, as with all of my phones, I quickly invested in a case and no issues. Its really not that big of a deal as I planned on using a case anyways.

As far as the proximity, its only on a few devices as I have yet to be able to recreate that issue on my phone.

My overall opinion is that the phone is great. Compared side-by-side with a 3G and 3GS my signal still remains greater than that of those two no matter the area, its much zippier due to its greater ram capacity, and it feels alot more solid than the plastic 3G and 3GS. I love it. Just waiting on the Jailbreak now so I can get my SBSettings back and custom apps and other stuff.

For those of you talking about the antenna/reception issue, Anandtech's review covered that nicely, right down to -dB measurements; see here.

I have the iPhone 4 and I can reproduce the signal drop issue but I get MUCH better reception with the iPhone 4 than I did with my 3GS.

Also know that the same issue plagues other phones as well, Nokia put up a blog post lambasting the signal problems with the iPhone 4 but they also have the same notice for their phones about the location where their phones are held in order to prevent signal drop.

Anyway the crux of it is that the iPhone 4 has better reception than the iPhone 3GS which is all that it really comes down to in the end.

I have the iPhone 4 and I can reproduce the signal drop issue but I get MUCH better reception with the iPhone 4 than I did with my 3GS.

Also know that the same issue plagues other phones as well, Nokia put up a blog post lambasting the signal problems with the iPhone 4 but they also have the same notice for their phones about the location where their phones are held in order to prevent signal drop.

Anyway the crux of it is that the iPhone 4 has better reception than the iPhone 3GS which is all that it really comes down to in the end.

Seems like the external antenna is actually a liability with the iPhone 4 though, as the signal drop is considerably worse with it than with phones such as the 3GS and the Nexus One. However, apparently the phone is also more sensitive because it gets better reception with fewer dBm. So, it's kinda a toss up. This article I thought outlined the issues well.

Anyway, if you get a rubber case, it seems like it pretty much resolves the issue because you can't short out the antenna and thus reception is very good.

˙˙˙buoɹʍ ʇı buıpןoɥ ɯ,ı sʎɐs ʇɹoddns ɥɔǝʇ ǝןddɐ ˙uʍop ǝpısdn ɹɐǝddɐ ʇxǝʇ ǝʞɐɯ ǝpoɯ ǝdɐɔspuɐן uı buıdʎʇ :bnq ǝuoɥdı ʍǝu

˙˙˙buoɹʍ ʇı buıpןoɥ ɯ,ı sʎɐs ʇɹoddns ɥɔǝʇ ǝןddɐ ˙uʍop ǝpısdn ɹɐǝddɐ ʇxǝʇ ǝʞɐɯ ǝpoɯ ǝdɐɔspuɐן uı buıdʎʇ :bnq ǝuoɥdı ʍǝu

Awesome -- now I'll have to get one... if for no other reason than to cause some of the higher strung SPF'ers to stroke out from having to read a post upside down.:smuggrin:

Awesome -- now I'll have to get one... if for no other reason than to cause some of the higher strung SPF'ers to stroke out from having to read a post upside down.:smuggrin:
Actually, it's just a cheap, but good, trick.

OK, so loving the i4. Have been researching cases/screen protectors and not sure what's worthwhile. Since this is my first iPhone, no personal experience with brands and it seems like companies are scramabling to make devices now that the phone is out. Suggestions? I assume a screen protector is a must even though the re at AT&T said it won't scratch. Unless it's a saphire crytsal screen, it will scratch. Also, I want to at least get a bumber type protector to use in tandem so the frame of the phone is protected along with the screen.

Also, how do you drag an app from one screen to another screen in order to reorganize/create folders. It lets me do it on the same screen, just not from one screen to another.

Thanks!

BTW, no probs w/phone, though I do get the signal degradation if holding theleft corner.

However, there is one problem, and I don't think it is the phone per se.

I have 5 minute consult. When I upgaded my 3GS to iOS4, the program runs fine. But when I synced my iPhone4 to iTunes and when I opened the program, all the lines are so closed together or even overlapping which I can't read.

Any suggestions? Some of my friends said to delete the program and re-download again.

Program updated today via Apps Store and it's working fine now.

OK, so loving the i4. Have been researching cases/screen protectors and not sure what's worthwhile. Since this is my first iPhone, no personal experience with brands and it seems like companies are scramabling to make devices now that the phone is out. Suggestions? I assume a screen protector is a must even though the re at AT&T said it won't scratch. Unless it's a saphire crytsal screen, it will scratch. Also, I want to at least get a bumber type protector to use in tandem so the frame of the phone is protected along with the screen.

Also, how do you drag an app from one screen to another screen in order to reorganize/create folders. It lets me do it on the same screen, just not from one screen to another.

Thanks!

BTW, no probs w/phone, though I do get the signal degradation if holding theleft corner.

I have Zagg Invisible Shield for my iPhone 4 and my previous 3GS. I don't like any bulky looking cases and the phone still looks "natural." You can put the phone in your pocket with keys and no scratches will occur.

One piece of advice: Don't install it yourself. I went to a local mall where there is a stand and have the guys do it. Lifetime warantee on the screen. You just have to pay for labor and they will reinstall it for you if you find scratches on the pretective screen or if it shows signs of peeling off (very very rare).

To create folders, like how your calculator icon, clock icon, compass icon are all in the utilities folder, just drag one icon into the other (overlap it).

I haven't been able to replicate the reception problem and I don't have a bumper. AT&T is good in my area. I love AT&T. Absolutely no signal problems when I'm in the hospital or at home or even in the elevator. Didn't have problems with my previous 3GS either.

I have Zagg Invisible Shield for my iPhone 4 and my previous 3GS. I don't like any bulky looking cases and the phone still looks "natural." You can put the phone in your pocket with keys and no scratches will occur.

One piece of advice: Don't install it yourself. I went to a local mall where there is a stand and have the guys do it. Lifetime warantee on the screen. You just have to pay for labor and they will reinstall it for you if you find scratches on the pretective screen or if it shows signs of peeling off (very very rare).

To create folders, like how your calculator icon, clock icon, compass icon are all in the utilities folder, just drag one icon into the other (overlap it).

I haven't been able to replicate the reception problem and I don't have a bumper. AT&T is good in my area. I love AT&T. Absolutely no signal problems when I'm in the hospital or at home or even in the elevator. Didn't have problems with my previous 3GS either.

Thanks for the advice on the Zagg shield. Will look into it. While I don't like the idea of hiding the phone/making it bulkier, not sure I feel comfortable going sans case.

Regarding file creating -- I know how to create folders, the problem is trying to move an app from one screen to another screen to do so. There must be a way to...

I know how to create folders, the problem is trying to move an app from one screen to another screen to do so. There must be a way to...

On the iPad, you just move the icon to the edge of the screen, and it slides to the next one. I suspect it works the same on the iPhone.

On the iPad, you just move the icon to the edge of the screen, and it slides to the next one. I suspect it works the same on the iPhone.

Thank you! I kept trying to flick it to the next screen. Now I can enjoy my OCD and organize/consolidate.:)

'Stunned' Apple to fix iPhone signal bug
"Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong," the company wrote in a statement posted on its website. "Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength. That means, for example, that iPhones sometimes display four bars when they should be displaying two. Apple said users reporting a significant drop in bars when they hold their iPhone 4 are probably in an area of "very weak signal strength" but were unaware of that because the phone displayed four to five bars."Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place," the company said. Apple said it will release a free software update in the next several weeks to fix the glitch. It will use a new formula recommended by AT&T, the iPhone's exclusive carrier, for calculating how many bars to display. Apple said it will also make the first three bars a bit taller to make them easier to see.
:bullcrap:

I like their idea of a fix :thumbup:

Make it so the phone displays less bars than it did before so when a users signal goes to hell they aren't surprised since it already appeared that they were in a "low signal" area, effectively shifting the blame away from Apple and onto AT&T. Also, make the bars that indicate a lower signal strength taller so it looks like you have more signal strength than when the bar was 1/2 the height even thought it isn't so.

They must have spent some time sniffing the exhaust from the reality distortion engine again to come up with this...

(Note to Steve Jobs, if you double the height of the first bar in the signal strength indicator it's still one stinking bar of reception, just more obviously so)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice on the Zagg shield. Will look into it. While I don't like the idea of hiding the phone/making it bulkier, not sure I feel comfortable going sans case.

Regarding file creating -- I know how to create folders, the problem is trying to move an app from one screen to another screen to do so. There must be a way to...

Actually I had the Zagg shield in the past, used them for years with my iPods's and my previous 3 iPhones and I recently decided to try the wrapsol shield and I like that allot better than I did the Zagg, so much in fact that I'll probably get a Wrapsol for my iPad and remove my Zagg from there. But both the Zagg and the Wrapsol are easier to put on now because the surfaces are flat, unlike the previous iPhones where it was curved and more difficult to make sure the shield conformed to the device. It took me all of 5-10 minutes to get the thing on and in place with no bubbles.

I got an iPhone bumper (over priced piece of plastic) but I like it so far. In the past I tended to always leave my iPhones naked because I hated not seeing the beauty of the device, the other reason was because most cases add bulk and it makes it hard to take in and out of your pocket but thats not so with the bumper, however it doesn't provide full protection in case of accidental dropping.

Actually I had the Zagg shield in the past, used them for years with my iPods's and my previous 3 iPhones and I recently decided to try the wrapsol shield and I like that allot better than I did the Zagg, so much in fact that I'll probably get a Wrapsol for my iPad and remove my Zagg from there. But both the Zagg and the Wrapsol are easier to put on now because the surfaces are flat, unlike the previous iPhones where it was curved and more difficult to make sure the shield conformed to the device. It took me all of 5-10 minutes to get the thing on and in place with no bubbles.

I got an iPhone bumper (over priced piece of plastic) but I like it so far. In the past I tended to always leave my iPhones naked because I hated not seeing the beauty of the device, the other reason was because most cases add bulk and it makes it hard to take in and out of your pocket but thats not so with the bumper, however it doesn't provide full protection in case of accidental dropping.

Thanks for the insight. Will look into the Wrapsol -- have seen it mentioned on other sites/blogs. Have a hard time wanting to shell out $30 for the bumper, but may do it as it could be a decent addition to the Wrapsol for use when I'm at work. Thanks again.

New iPhone just arrived today. Unfortunately, I do notice that I loose all my bars and occasionally will display "searching" when I hold the bottom of the phone. I have yet to drop a call and we will see how things pan out over time...

New iPhone just arrived today. Unfortunately, I do notice that I loose all my bars and occasionally will display "searching" when I hold the bottom of the phone. I have yet to drop a call and we will see how things pan out over time...

Many of the phones I've had before had this same problem, so I still kind of wanted to switch over, but... this is interesting reading.

Yeah, I have read a few articles about CR refusing to give the iPhone 4 the golden seal of approval. I will take a wait and see approach. I understand people will be lining up to sue, complain and so on; however, if this is a simple glitch remedied by an update, fine. If it turns out to be a true hardware flaw...

Yeah, I have read a few articles about CR refusing to give the iPhone 4 the golden seal of approval. I will take a wait and see approach. I understand people will be lining up to sue, complain and so on; however, if this is a simple glitch remedied by an update, fine. If it turns out to be a true hardware flaw...

I think it's undeniable it's a hardware issue. Flaw is a strong word since it's kinda an issue with all phones. I think the uncased iPhone sees an extreme drop because you're physically shorting the antenna. That's why a simple bumper case largely fixes the issue.

Anyway, I think Apple's going to have to start giving out free cases soon to fix this issue. Their software fix is kinda a joke now that people understand it, and there's enough populist anger over this to tarnish Steve Jobs' halo for sure unless they do something about it.

I am very torn on whether to get iPhone or X. All my music is in iTunes but I've heard that is not really an issue. Verizon still has unlimited data and I can see myself using a lot of data just being an idiot. Decisions, Decisions. Then even more annoying is that the Samsung Fascinate and Droid 2 are coming out soon too.

2GB is A LOT of data. I doubt you'll be able to use that much in a month unless you are doing a lot of app downloading and video watching and not using wifi anywhere you are.

Either way, all of this signal business makes me glad I'm not in the market to upgrade until next summer. (Though I ALWAYS case my phone to protect from drops. It's irresponsible to keep it naked if you are someone that wears scrubs or something it can fall out of. I'll enjoy my 3GS with its nice Otterbox Commuter Case. Though I'm not usually a fan of the protective plastic covers for the screen I have used them in the past. There are some really nice matte covers out there. I haven't personally used this one, but the Phonedevil antiglare one is $7 on amazon and free shipping. They also sell a normal clear cover. I keep my phone in my pocket with my wallet. There is no reason your screen should get scratched. If you drop your phone with a good case on the front will not hit the ground anyway.

2GB is A LOT of data. I doubt you'll be able to use that much in a month unless you are doing a lot of app downloading and video watching and not using wifi anywhere you are.

Either way, all of this signal business makes me glad I'm not in the market to upgrade until next summer. (Though I ALWAYS case my phone to protect from drops. It's irresponsible to keep it naked if you are someone that wears scrubs or something it can fall out of. I'll enjoy my 3GS with its nice Otterbox Commuter Case. Though I'm not usually a fan of the protective plastic covers for the screen I have used them in the past. There are some really nice matte covers out there. I haven't personally used this one, but the Phonedevil antiglare one is $7 on amazon and free shipping. They also sell a normal clear cover. I keep my phone in my pocket with my wallet. There is no reason your screen should get scratched. If you drop your phone with a good case on the front will not hit the ground anyway.

I'm updating this summer because its basically free (can sell the 3gS for what they are asking me to pay for the iP4). I always put my phone in a case as well, though I prefer one with a holster because I don't like the front pocket of my scrubs too bulky. So when the news that the case fixes the problem entirely I realized there was no reason to hold off. I like the matte screen protectors. Sometimes my phone ends up in with keys or coins and I actually like the feel of the matte screen. I'm hoping that there are more cases available by the time I get my loan$$ to front the money for the iP4 before I sell the 3gS, because I'm not loving the cases that are out right now. Though it is nice that apple will be paying for my case this time around :)