Technology iphone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DancerDoc

too much information!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I need a PDA by 3rd year (I'm an MS2) and I am debating getting an iphone. I'm not very technologically advanced though so I am interested to hear other people's opinions and some pros and cons about it. It's also hard to know if it will do everything I need it to do for when I'm on the wards since I don't know what I will need it to do!

It looks like Epocrates finally came out with their software for the iphone. But is there anything else crucial I should know about? I also want to make sure it has a really good calendar system because the planner function is what is making me consider getting it now, rather than later.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got one and I would definitely recommend it for the wards. I used a palm during my 3rd year with epocrates (this is all you need, just as a quick reference) and the iphone version of epocrates is superior to the palm version. It actually has pictures of the pills, along with an easier-to-use interface than the palm version. The calendar system syncs with outlook and also a few other programs which I can't remember, but it is compatible with whatever you use I'm sure. Plus, it's only $200 and others (palms and blackberrys) now are 300-400 that do less.

The only bad thing is that it's very long and very thin. You will need a case for it since it's pretty awkward to carry around in your pocket.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd get one if you can find one... =/

I have the original iPhone that I just updated with the 2.0 software, and I really like it. Epocrates on the iPhone is pretty nice. There are a number of third party applications now available, and a few that might be useful. Netter's anatomy flashcards are available, though they are a bit expensive ($40). There are also a few medically related podcasts (NEJM and JAMA). I routinely use the calendar function, and I've found it to be useful. I also use e-mail a lot, and it's useful to be able to respond quickly to messages immediately (they don't pile up by the end of the day). You can also record quick notes into the iPhone, either text or voice (though a free application). However, to be honest, the most exciting thing about the Apple update for me has been the ability to play games and use Internet radio.

i've been using mine to view emedicine - Safari and 3G makes this a very good resource on the go:D