Will Be Doing COVID-19 Tests as an IPPE Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BC_89

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received information that as of July 16th the retail site I am currently rotating through will be doing COVID-19 tests. I don’t know the details as the PIC and store pharmacists (floater coming in on wed) will be receiving training to show the rest of the staff of what to do. All I know is a “covid-19” refrigerator just came in and ready for use.

Anyone who’s been doing the tests and storing them In the pharmacy care to give insight? The handling and storing seems straight forward but how is the logging and daily shipping processed? I’ve been slowly learning the software and thinking I may be given the stack of paperwork to help distribute and collect.

Just curious how the workflow works. Any insight is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

My site is pretty easy to run. We had partnered with Verily to handle booking/screening.

Everyone has to sign up for an appointment time online then every morning we batch print the day's labels.

When the patient comes in for their test we just verify ID, swab them and label their sample then keep it in the covid fridge till a courier from the lab comes in to pick them up. At the end of the day we have to log in to Verily's system and update the status for everyone who showed up and provided a sample.

Reactions: 1 users
I received information that as of July 16th the retail site I am currently rotating through will be doing COVID-19 tests. I don’t know the details as the PIC and store pharmacists (floater coming in on wed) will be receiving training to show the rest of the staff of what to do. All I know is a “covid-19” refrigerator just came in and ready for use.

Anyone who’s been doing the tests and storing them In the pharmacy care to give insight? The handling and storing seems straight forward but how is the logging and daily shipping processed? I’ve been slowly learning the software and thinking I may be given the stack of paperwork to help distribute and collect.

Just curious how the workflow works. Any insight is appreciated
Be sure to ask the pharmacists there the following questions:

1) Can you bill for covid testing?
2) If not, are you OR the pharmacy being paid more?
3) How do you feel about pharmacy schools graduating their senior classes early to "help in the fight against covid" aka do what you are about to do?
4) Is there anything clinical/cognitive about this work? Why can't a technician do it?
5) If you had a choice of working in a regular pharmacy or covid-testing pharmacy, which option would you pick and why?