You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
IPPE Dress Attire - LabCoat /No Labcoat ?
Started by Butterfly750
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hi Everyone 🙂
I was just wondering wether you where your white coat to your community pharmacy IPPE's (in adjunct to being dressed up course)?
Thanks 🙂
Take a minute, think about it, and then answer your own question.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've always worn mine, when in doubt always wear it and take it off if asked. Part of my routine "pre-rotation" contact is to ask about preferred dress code or dress code considerations since some hospitals may want you to wear scrubs as well as places that do compounding, part of that may be a need to not wear one (but always keep it with you just in case).
I have yet to wear my white coat. Not hard to email your preceptor a few weeks beforehand and ask what the dress code is.
This.
Please do not show up to IPPE retail rotation with your white coat on the first day unless you've checked with the school policy and preceptor.
All retail places I've been have had me wear it. Most schools embroider your coat to make it known you are a student there, in my state by law you have to wear a student tag too. The only places that told me not to wear it did so for compounding reasons.
My first rotation at CVS everyone wore a white coat, the pharmacist and all the techs. Another reason I thought CVS was a joke.
I wear my white coat about once a monthWhite coats are for pharmacists.
I wear my white coat about once a month
Put me in the "where the hell IS my white coat, anyway?" camp.
I think I wear mine on halloween...because a white coat, some nitrile gloves, a face mask, and goggles from my earthquake kit make for a cheap costume.
I wore my white coat way more as a student than I ever do as a pharmacist. White coats are for physicians, hate to burst anyone's bubble.
Last edited:
Part of the required dress code at my hospital. Physicians tend to wear scrubs here, which I find hilarious. Why do I have to be held to a higher standard of dress than the doctors?I wore my white coat way more as a student than I ever do as a pharmacist. White coats are for physicians, hate to burst anyone's bubble.
Scrubs are for nurses, hate to burst anyone's bubble.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Scrubs are for nurses, hate to burst anyone's bubble.
And anesthesiologists, and cardio thoracic surgeons...and anyone else in the general vicinity of a sterile field.
I go to a lot of meetings with admins, so dress shirt and tie for me.
Part of the required dress code at my hospital. Physicians tend to wear scrubs here, which I find hilarious. Why do I have to be held to a higher standard of dress than the doctors?
Doctors touch the patients. This means we can get blood, vomit, urine, etc on us. Scrubs allow us to change quickly and not ruin our clothes. Pharmacists generally don't touch the patients.
This still doesn't explain the attending that likes to wear jeans.. The real answer is our pharmacy administration are obsessed with projecting an image that no one else cares about.Doctors touch the patients. This means we can get blood, vomit, urine, etc on us. Scrubs allow us to change quickly and not ruin our clothes. Pharmacists generally don't touch the patients.
Don't forget the photo tech... And even the cashier for some reason in the one by my apartment.My first rotation at CVS everyone wore a white coat, the pharmacist and all the techs. Another reason I thought CVS was a joke.
Pharmacists generally don't touch the patients.
This is why I went into the field, haha.
I wore scrubs as an intern/technician and now dress shirt/tie as a pharmacist, except our sterile compounding pharmacist is in scrubs for low-shedding/sterile purposes.
Bottom line for everyone here...who cares? Wear what's functional for your role.
This is why I went into the field, haha.
Some days after I've had a fairly stinky group of patients, I wished that I went into a non-touching field as well.
Some days after I've had a fairly stinky group of patients, I wished that I went into a non-touching field as well.
Pros and cons my friend. Personal preferences aside, being a physician is still a rewarding/fulfilling endeavor.
My 2nd career choice was being a CPA or an attorney.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 27
- Views
- 6K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 3K