IQ correlate with MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"Be careful of demeaning words like "obviously", "clearly", or "undoubtedly." Something that is obvious to you may not be obvious to the reader."
Lesson III: Concision and Simplicity, Scientific Writing Resource, Duke University Graduate School

Those people at Duke have *clearly* (heyoo) encountered upper level math texts where all the examples say the solution is obvious and leave the proof to the reader.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Alternative explanation: you're a lot further above the median in intelligence than you think!
That could be.

I really just want to convey the idea that you can do well on the test wih effort, despite the droves of other people saying otherwise. I watched a lot of pre-meds get discouraged because of all the defeatist plattidues going around.

But maybe that's a cliche notion and I'm just spewing hot air...

That could be.

I really just want to convey the idea that you can do well on the test wih effort, despite the droves of other people saying otherwise. I watched a lot of pre-meds get discouraged because of all the defeatist plattidues going around.

But maybe that's a cliche notion and I'm just spewing hot air...
I've watched people try hard and fail to break into competitive ranges. Effort is rewarded IF you've also got the right academic abilities. Eg i'd wager a good bit your SAT wasn't near 50th percentile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've watched people try hard and fail to break into competitive ranges. Effort is rewarded IF you've also got the right academic abilities. Eg i'd wager a good bit your SAT wasn't near 50th percentile

Of course. We've all seen those people who, despite their best efforts, just weren't cut out for it.

But I also see a lot of people who don't put in enough work, get a lackluster score, and then blame it on their lack of genius intelligence. They then use this as currency to discourage others. That's the kind of thinking I want to dispel here.

tl dr MCAT != intelligence test

Effort on the MCAT only matters if a minimum "intelligence" and science knowledge threshold is met. We get it. Same story in hundreds of other professions. IQ != intelligence != success in ANYTHING, let alone medicine.

Can mods just put this thread out of its mercy?

Of course. We've all seen those people who, despite their best efforts, just weren't cut out for it.

But I also see a lot of people who don't put in enough work, get a lackluster score, and then blame it on their lack of genius intelligence. They then use this as currency to discourage others. That's the kind of thinking I want to dispel here.

Commer I would agree with you in that I think that once a certain threshold is met that hard work can yield great results. The question now becomes what is that threshold and or how can it be determined.

Elfe although this is pure conjecture, what percentile on the SAT would you assume would meet this threshold all things else being equal?

Commer I would agree with you in that I think that once a certain threshold is met that hard work can yield great results. The question now becomes what is that threshold and or how can it be determined.

Elfe although this is pure conjecture, what percentile on the SAT would you assume would meet this threshold all things else being equal?
I don't think it's a binary threshold like that, but a continuum.

These topics have come up a good bit on the forums, and both IRL and what I've seen on here, people that hit MCATs in the top few percent were also in the far right end of the SAT/ACT curve

Reactions: 2 users
There's a correlation?! Damn, I was hoping that the SAT would be the last IQ related standardized test I would have to take. My IQ's only in the upper 120s/lower 130 range. Will I be bottle-necked?

There's a correlation?! Damn, I was hoping that the SAT would be the last IQ related standardized test I would have to take. My IQ's only in the upper 120s/lower 130 range. Will I be bottle-necked?

You might be trolling lol... But if you're serious, the answer is no. Study hard, and you can ace it.

You might be trolling lol... But if you're serious, the answer is no. Study hard, and you can ace it.
I was joking yes. Definitely not that high lol. I do remember in like 4th grade I took an admissions IQ test to get into a school for the gifted and I fell short by one or two points. Their requirements state that you must have an IQ of at least 127 to get in so you do the math. I probably lost quite a number of brain-cells since then so right now it's closer to the teens I'm sure. What a horrible feeling it is to see yourself literally become more stupid over the years *shudder* :lame:

I was joking yes. Definitely not that high lol. I do remember in like 4th grade I took an admissions IQ test to get into a school for the gifted and I fell short by one or two points. Their requirements state that you must have an IQ of at least 127 to get in so you do the math. I probably lost quite a number of brain-cells since then so right now it's closer to the teens I'm sure. What a horrible feeling it is to see yourself literally become more stupid over the years *shudder* :lame:

Ahhh, thought so!

Took an IQ test on MENSA.com and got like a 109 lol. I didn't want to join their club and have group Sudoku sessions anyway...

IQ is based on relative intelligence of those the same age as you, so since you've likely received much more education (and thus reasoning ability/pattern recognition/etc.) than your average same-aged-peer since you were tested in 4th grade, your IQ has almost certainly increased, barring some significant brain trauma.