Iraq Pullout and Deploymnets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chonal Atresia

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anybody has seen a decrease in taskings for deploymnets at his/her MEDCENs/MEDDACs? 3 years ago there was roughly 180,000 people deployed. By the end of '12 there will only be 1/3 that number. One would think that taskings are bound to go away soon.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Good question, I too was wondering the same thing. Anybody have any ideas?

Members don't see this ad :)
They just claimed Bastion from the Brits, not sure if thats the one you meant.

I still see emails at least twice a week "advertising opportunities" so can't say that I've seen any difference.
I was referring to Camp Dwyer but from what I understand today, Dwyer is now a Role II...I thought the Army was taking over the Navy's spot at Bastion so the Navy can focus on Kandahar Role III? When I was at Bastion, it was staffed with the British, Navy and some Army folks.

Just curious if anybody has seen a decrease in taskings for deploymnets at his/her MEDCENs/MEDDACs? 3 years ago there was roughly 180,000 people deployed. By the end of '12 there will only be 1/3 that number. One would think that taskings are bound to go away soon.:)
People are coming home early - yes, deployments are down and barring a change in policy should continue to decline in frequency. Today I learned the Army is now looking at 9 month deployments which can be split into 4.5 month rotations - not a bad development.

I was referring to Camp Dwyer but from what I understand today, Dwyer is now a Role II...I thought the Army was taking over the Navy's spot at Bastion so the Navy can focus on Kandahar Role III? When I was at Bastion, it was staffed with the British, Navy and some Army folks.

Is the unit at Camp Dwyer run by the army now? Surprising, with that being in USMC AO. (Or, at least, it was when I was there. I know that the Marine AO has been changing)

Is the unit at Camp Dwyer run by the army now? Surprising, with that being in USMC AO. (Or, at least, it was when I was there. I know that the Marine AO has been changing)

Dwyer is still in a USMC AO and is staffed with Army.

One of my friends was about to deploy last year to Iraq, but at the last minute they cancelled it because they were decreasing the amount of troops there.

Remember that we're still deploying to afghanistan though.

Army's been there since 2010 running that hospital...my unit was the one that set it up