IRR vs active reserves while in civilian residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WernickeDO

Returning to the womb
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question about IRR vs. active reserves: How real is the threat of getting called in from IRR, especially if you are actively in a civilian residency? I'm sure it *can* happen, but does it actually? I'm leaving AD next year and will hopefully be in a civilian residency program and was going to go IRR, but I'm hearing some horror stories about people getting called off of IRR. Is it better to find a unit that is stabilizing and just go active reserves? If so, how do you handle drilling, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Question about IRR vs. active reserves: How real is the threat of getting called in from IRR, especially if you are actively in a civilian residency? I'm sure it *can* happen, but does it actually? I'm leaving AD next year and will hopefully be in a civilian residency program and was going to go IRR, but I'm hearing some horror stories about people getting called off of IRR. Is it better to find a unit that is stabilizing and just go active reserves? If so, how do you handle drilling, etc?
I've been out about two years now and the only thing I've had to do for IRR was call a career counselor once or twice and update my address on the HRC website.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The majority of docs who get out to do civilian residency go on IRR right?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
I would think that's the case unless they finished the entire 8 year commitment and resign their commission

Reactions: 1 user
So, this is what I had -always- thought. Then, an acquaintance of mine got out - civilian residency, 4 years active, and then cut him loose. Entirely. I dunno if they screwed up, or what the situation was.