WernickeDO

Returning to the womb
Feb 27, 2011
North
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Question about IRR vs. active reserves: How real is the threat of getting called in from IRR, especially if you are actively in a civilian residency? I'm sure it *can* happen, but does it actually? I'm leaving AD next year and will hopefully be in a civilian residency program and was going to go IRR, but I'm hearing some horror stories about people getting called off of IRR. Is it better to find a unit that is stabilizing and just go active reserves? If so, how do you handle drilling, etc?

APA 32

ASA Member
Mar 23, 2015
Status
  1. Medical Student
Question about IRR vs. active reserves: How real is the threat of getting called in from IRR, especially if you are actively in a civilian residency? I'm sure it *can* happen, but does it actually? I'm leaving AD next year and will hopefully be in a civilian residency program and was going to go IRR, but I'm hearing some horror stories about people getting called off of IRR. Is it better to find a unit that is stabilizing and just go active reserves? If so, how do you handle drilling, etc?
I've been out about two years now and the only thing I've had to do for IRR was call a career counselor once or twice and update my address on the HRC website.

Reactions: WernickeDO
About the Ads

HighPriest

Specialized in diseases of the head holes
Jan 1, 2008
Status
  1. Attending Physician
So, this is what I had -always- thought. Then, an acquaintance of mine got out - civilian residency, 4 years active, and then cut him loose. Entirely. I dunno if they screwed up, or what the situation was.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads