WernickeDO

Returning to the womb
7+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2011
North
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Question about IRR vs. active reserves: How real is the threat of getting called in from IRR, especially if you are actively in a civilian residency? I'm sure it *can* happen, but does it actually? I'm leaving AD next year and will hopefully be in a civilian residency program and was going to go IRR, but I'm hearing some horror stories about people getting called off of IRR. Is it better to find a unit that is stabilizing and just go active reserves? If so, how do you handle drilling, etc?

APA 32

ASA Member
2+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Question about IRR vs. active reserves: How real is the threat of getting called in from IRR, especially if you are actively in a civilian residency? I'm sure it *can* happen, but does it actually? I'm leaving AD next year and will hopefully be in a civilian residency program and was going to go IRR, but I'm hearing some horror stories about people getting called off of IRR. Is it better to find a unit that is stabilizing and just go active reserves? If so, how do you handle drilling, etc?
I've been out about two years now and the only thing I've had to do for IRR was call a career counselor once or twice and update my address on the HRC website.

Reactions: WernickeDO
OP
WernickeDO

WernickeDO

Returning to the womb
7+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2011
North
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The majority of docs who get out to do civilian residency go on IRR right?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

About the Ads

HighPriest

Specialized in diseases of the head holes
10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
So, this is what I had -always- thought. Then, an acquaintance of mine got out - civilian residency, 4 years active, and then cut him loose. Entirely. I dunno if they screwed up, or what the situation was.

HighPriest

Specialized in diseases of the head holes
10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
I never wanted to fight for the Sultan.

About the Ads