is 21 schools too many to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anotherhopeful

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
aight guys, really fast, 3.5 gpa at top 5 (According to usnews anyway) undergrad, 36R MCAT, all the usual ECs, shadowing, volunteering, tutoring, etc. no publications though.

i have these schools. oh i'm from indiana.

stanford
cornell
yale

emory
northwestern
u of chicago
case

mt sinai
NYU
U of rochester
USC
dartmouth
yeshiva
OSU
IU
tufts
wake
BU
UCincinnati
Jefferson
Tulane
Rush

Help me narrow these?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I had stats slightly worse than yours and i applied to 21 schools. At the time I figured better safe than sorry. But in retrospect after the process, I really shouldve only applied to 15 or so.

There were a few schools on my list that really really really were last resorts in cities i know i wouldn't have been happy in. So my advice is to make sure you'd realistically be happy at all those schools (try not to kid yourself) and just apply to those. I mean, with your stats you're most likely going to get into at least a very good middle tier school (i say 'most likely' cause for all i know youre horrible at interviews, which im sure youre not) so if there's some expendable lower tier schools on your list, i'd drop them.

Oh, i'm also a believer in applying to reach schools. If you have the money to apply to many schools, than i say apply to many reach schools cause you really never know what someone might see in you on any random admissions committee.

Members don't see this ad :)
don't worry about narrowing it down so much as making sure you like the ones you have. like my pre-med advisor warned us "this is no time to pinch pennies!"

It's a good list. 21 seems a little excessive with your stats, but sometimes you drop schools during the secondary or interview process. By the time you finish it may be down to 18. I agree with a few more reach schools. Heck your MCAT is in the 99th percentile!

Wow, thanks for the reply guys. the only thing i'm worried about is my 3.5 gpa (i think my science might be like a 3.3 or a 3.4.

also, i don't really know what other schools to apply to in the "higher-mid" range.

i took out rush and USC, and decided to add drexler and UPitt. any ideas on those?

Thanks guys! I don't think i could've gotten this far w/o you guys. i was a ghost observer the period before the mcats in april.

You have 36R on ur MCATs. Even if you got 14 on ur VR, you probably have an average of 11 on ur sciences. People may disagree with me, but I feel that you need to understand your sciences to do that well.. If I am the admissions officer, I wouldn't look at your GPA. You have worked hard on your extracurriculars, and now its time to relax!

Filling out secondaries for 20+ schools will require lot of time, energy and money. You might wanna reconsider.

Just my 2 cents.

Anotherhopeful,

I had a slightly lower GPA than yours, with the same MCAT (number score). Make sure to apply early... I applied pretty late and it only complicated things.

In any case, I applied to around 20 schools and got rejected from all of them* , except for 5 interviews. Where I got interviews didn't follow a clear pattern... I got rejected from USF (in-state school) but had better outcomes at UM and UF. I also got rejected from a bunch of non-top-20 private schools, but was interviewed, waitlisted, and ultimately accepted at a cooler school (Northwestern - :clap: ). Go figure.

Anyways, that's my experience. Apply to a range of schools (I see you are planning to), and don't think that you have no chance at any particular school. Anything is possible (as I recently found out).

Good luck!

*Stanford rejected me the day after my AMCAS was verified, so they probably use a numerical formula to give out secondaries. The rest were post-secondary rejections.

wow, NU? congrats!

yeah, this process is more of a crapshoot than college admissions, i've gathered.

just another question, how're the jesuit schools (yeshiva and loyola)? does it matter that thy're jesuit and i'm not?

thanks

21 seems fine to me. I believe some of your choices prescreen before giving out secondaries...so at least for those schools you can get a gauge of where you stand. If you're worried that 21 secondaries is a lot to do....i filled out 33. After a while..they start asking you the same questions so you can keep recycling answers....hehe.

anotherhopeful said:
Wow, thanks for the reply guys. the only thing i'm worried about is my 3.5 gpa (i think my science might be like a 3.3 or a 3.4.

also, i don't really know what other schools to apply to in the "higher-mid" range.

i took out rush and USC, and decided to add drexel and UPitt. any ideas on those?

Pitt is a great school! Many people, after seeing Pitt's facilities and curriculum will decide that they would turn down higher ranked schools to go to Pitt.

It looks good!!!!! Good luck on your application this year!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

The more schools on your application can only equal more choices for you. For me, I found this a good thing. :thumbup:

Good list of schools.