Is $70/hr a reliable salary in Winn-Dixie ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redapple123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
its about 110k after taxes, sounds about right just depends on what the demand is for the area? I currently live in Orlando what part of FL is the job offer? My guess is it is somewhere rural (like upper panhandle or remote areas of central-northern florida).

$70/hr at Winn-Dixie in Florida for a PharmD or registered pharmacy ? ?

One of my friend was telling me about this.......

Is this a hoax or truth ?

$70/hr for 40 hrs a week makes 134400 every year...... more than nurses and PA's and some nurse practioners ?

I would say that is a little bit too high. Your friend might have started out with 134400k but not realize that the week is over 40 hours. Maybe he was including benefits or mistaken that rate for OT.

A better rate is anywhere from mid 50s to low 60s. A retail RPH on the job for a few years, supervising a high volume pharmacy that is doing really good might make high 60's.

Members don't see this ad :)

$70/hr for 40 hrs a week makes 134400 every year...... more than nurses and PA's and some nurse practioners ?

This post has to be some sort of fishing expedition........

Are you kidding me? Since when nurses and PA make more money than Pharm.D? Yes, there are exceptions, but in general, Pharm.D salary is higher than RN and PA.

70/hr isn't considered that high for Pharm.D. My senior pharmacist at my hospital makes 78 /hr....and we have 3% raise every year...on top of that

Are you kidding me? Since when nurses and PA make more money than Pharm.D? Yes, there are exceptions, but in general, Pharm.D salary is higher than RN and PA.

70/hr isn't considered that high for Pharm.D. My senior pharmacist at my hospital makes 78 /hr....and we have 3% raise every year...on top of that

Of course this varies by market but 70/hr is very high, even for pharmacists. From the Occupational Outlook Handbook (http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos079.htm):

"Median annual wages of wage and salary pharmacists in May 2008 were $106,410. The middle 50 percent earned between $92,670 and $121,310 a year. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $77,390, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $131,440 a year."

So 70/hr is not impossible but it would put the OP's friend (and your boss)in the top 10% of pharmacy earners. I doubt Winn Dixie pays their pharmacy staff this well. When I worked at Winn Dixie several years ago our pharmacist made a little over 50/hr.

That sounds like wishful thinking.

Hoax - Florida has no state tax - so our wages are generally 5 - 15% lower than states with state tax.

Starting retail is in the 50s per hour.

If it's in an undesirable location, the might explain the relatively high salary.

its about 110k after taxes, sounds about right just depends on what the demand is for the area? I currently live in Orlando what part of FL is the job offer? My guess is it is somewhere rural (like upper panhandle or remote areas of central-northern florida).

My grandparents live in Homosassa Springs, Fl... I should apply there when I graduate. lol

Hoax - Florida has no state tax - so our wages are generally 5 - 15% lower than states with state tax.

Starting retail is in the 50s per hour.

Senior pharmacist at major chain store here in my hometown is making 165,000/year... no joke.

Sweet mother of Moses that's a lot of money! I'd be lightin' expensive cigars and wearing a robe to work every day. I'd also carry a fancy cane and sport a toothpick...

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
My grandparents live in Homosassa Springs, Fl... I should apply there when I graduate. lol

Senior pharmacist at major chain store here in my hometown is making 165,000/year... no joke.

I make >165k a year... I just pick up a lot of OT.

Senior pharmacist being a key word... I know a pharmacist making a cool million a year - he's now in prison - no joke

And even with OT, 165k would be hard to break in Florida.

It's a hoax - the only money like that exists in Alaska... And we all know how that story goes.

Senior pharmacist being a key word... I know a pharmacist making a cool million a year - he's now in prison - no joke

It's a hoax - the only money like that exists in Alaska... And we all know how that story goes.

So the pharmacist who was making a cool million was he running a ring of rogue pain clinics in south florida being that he is in prison now?

So the pharmacist who was making a cool million was he running a ring of rogue pain clinics in south florida being that he is in prison now?

Look up Lumus and signature pharmacy. I use to buy ice cream (5yrs old) at his pharmacy... He was arrested for being part of the sports medicine / testosterone coverup.

I make >165k a year... I just pick up a lot of OT.

He doesn't work overtime though.

Which is why I added that he was the senior pharmacist, but he hasn't even been out of school for that long. There are just a lot of jobs down here because no one wants to live here (the cost of living is too high and we aren't in a major city).

The million dollars/year example isn't relevant since he was breaking the law...

I never said it wasn't a hoax or it was, but you can't say that money doesn't exist in Florida at all if you aren't familiar with the unique circumstances in certain areas. Florida as a whole, hell yes... but in certain parts it's not that far fetched.

Cost of living is astronomical in the Fl Keys and there are lots of retired people, pharmacies, and no pharmacy schools within 200 miles (and those graduates want to stay in Miami/Ft Lauderdale).

Sweet mother of Moses that's a lot of money! I'd be lightin' expensive cigars and wearing a robe to work every day. I'd also carry a fancy cane and sport a toothpick...

:)

Trust me its not as much as you think once you subtract your monthly bills....Still an ass load of money but hardly a "lightin' expensive cigars and wearing a robe to work every day" salary.

He doesn't work overtime though.

Which is why I added that he was the senior pharmacist, but he hasn't even been out of school for that long. There are just a lot of jobs down here because no one wants to live here (the cost of living is too high and we aren't in a major city).

The million dollars/year example isn't relevant since he was breaking the law...

I never said it wasn't a hoax or it was, but you can't say that money doesn't exist in Florida at all if you aren't familiar with the unique circumstances in certain areas. Florida as a whole, hell yes... but in certain parts it's not that far fetched.

Cost of living is astronomical in the Fl Keys and there are lots of retired people, pharmacies, and no pharmacy schools within 200 miles (and those graduates want to stay in Miami/Ft Lauderdale).

I believe you were told that... But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a similar offer. Aside from Cali, no other state turns out pharmacy grads like Florida.

I'm a skeptic at heart - nothing personal.

Not sure where you got your intel, but it isn't hard to find professionals that want to live in the keys.

I believe you were told that... But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a similar offer. Aside from Cali, no other state turns out pharmacy grads like Florida.

I'm a skeptic at heart - nothing personal.

Not sure where you got your intel, but it isn't hard to find professionals that want to live in the keys.

I'm not planning to move back to Florida after graduation, so I'm not hoping for a similar offer... I'm more interested in LTC, but if I can stay with Publix for a few years and pay off loans I might.

I know most salaries are much lower than that... but I live in the Keys and I've been here for the past 23 years (minus the 5 I was in Miami/Ft Lauderdale) so I know about the issue with getting quality professionals in various fields down here. They all think it would be nice, but when they start looking for housing, or actually do get here for a few years the turn over rate is pretty high.

>>> I'm a nerd and I sometimes read the US Census data, and I thought it was interesting that the population increase of Florida was something around 10-13 percent I believe, but the population had decreased in Monroe county at around -8 percent. It is increasingly becoming nothing but older, retired people with lots of money... rather than working professionals or families with young kids.

Just so that you know... You're insulting a lot of people on Student DOCTOR Network by saying this. A doctoral degree will always be worth more than a BS in nursing, MS in PA, or a BS in nursing + the training required to become a nurse practitioner. Whether or not individual markets compensate more for doctoral degrees is location-based and not always fair.
(It's like telling a physics professor with a PhD: "But you make less than a nurse!!!, so you're not worthy.")
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Trust me its not as much as you think once you subtract your monthly bills....Still an ass load of money but hardly a "lightin' expensive cigars and wearing a robe to work every day" salary.

Is that a measurement on the avoirdupois scale? :laugh:

and let's not forget the cost of living factor.

I just looked at the bankrate.com's cost of living calculator, $110K over here is like making almost $200K in San Francisco, holy cow! :scared:

In Houston, $70/hour means you have to deal with the threat of a gun in your face everyday.:(

$70/hr = undesirable?

But then you have to define undesirable. Is it a remote town or area with nothing to do within 15-20 miles of you, or is undesirable defined by working in the "hood" worrying about being robbed or if someone is following you home at the end of the day???

Pick your poison.

Undesireable is definitely subjective imo. My grandparents owned a grocery store/meat market in the 'hood' and they felt relatively safe... But then my mom was held at gun point while she was pregnant working in a flower shop. Bad stuff can happen anywhere... You just have to be smart about it if you live somewhere that's considered dangerous.

I guess I'm talking by "Midwest" standards. The cost of living is very very low here. If I have to leave after graduation, it will be kicking and screaming; I'll be quick to return.