Is a 3.4 BCPM good for Allopathic schools?

Started by Megan801
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Megan801

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have not taken the MCAT yet which I understand is an important number to know when assessing chances but I would like to know about this GPA. I will most likely have a 3.4 BCPM and a 3.65 overall GPA after this semester when I apply to medical schools. I will also have a lot of experience, shadowing, research, and volunteering. Am I on a good path to get a few acceptances?
Also, are there certain schools I should consider knowing my GPA will be around this number? Any advice would be appreciated.
Once again, I know the MCAT is a very important factor that can completely change any advice that could be given. I would just like to know how I am doing so far.
Thank you!!
 
3.4 is on the low end, but with a 3.65 overall gpa, I don't think it will hold you back from an acceptance somewhere, assuming your MCAT is in order. Shoot for something in the 30s, ideally 32+. To get a better idea of what schoosl to look for in your range, I'd suggest you buy a copy of the MSAR (it's about $15).
 
No. The average cumulative GPA and science GPA of allopathic matriculants isn't that far apart and should be somewhere in the 3.60-3.65 range for both metrics.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Definitely on the lower end, but it should get you a few interviews provided you get a very good MCAT score (33+).
Quite a few 3.4 students take a year off to do an SMP ( I did myself) and it helped me get into an allopathic school.
 
I had a 3.35 sGPA, 3.45 cGPA, and 32+ MCAT as a reapplicant ORM and was accepted to an allopathic school. I'm definitely an exception but it is possible.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk