MD is a 30 on the mcat enough to make me competitive for an average medical school? (3.6/3.61 gpa)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrh125

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been taking a bunch of practice mcats and really studying hard.

I'm graduating this fall and I am a biology major with decent extracurriculars (ton of time like over a thousand hours working with a cosmetic dentist, two retail jobs, tons of website work and a decent amount of researching for a non-profit group that is helping introduce new technology in india, places in africa, and help with food supplies. I also have a dead end research position right now in my major where I might get published and some misc non-profit work) and should have a 3.60-3.62 when I graduate this fall (3.62 if I get all As, 3.60 if anything else). I'm taking my mcat this january and on the latest practice tests i've scored a 30 and a 31 on 9r [ 11/11/9] (the last one would have been a 32 or 33 if i didnt take it at 7pm at night.). If I get a 30 on the real mcat am I competitive for average medical schools and D.O schools?

I really dont want to take the mcat more than once if I get a 30 because i have a year off and am just going to chill, am i competitive? I'd love to stay in california for medical school as well, is that possible with such a score? If not that's fine i'd just be happy in a decent non-carribean med school.

Members don't see this ad.

A 30 and 3.6 with good ECs gives you a solid application. I think you will have no problem finding a decent MD school to take you. Of course it's slightly irrelevant since you haven't actually taken the MCAT yet... so just focus on doing your best.

Of course a 30 and 3.6 is fine for any DO program. Even a 27 and 3.6 would likely suffice.

P.S. -- you probably shouldn't just "chill" in your year off. If you do something productive (a lot of secondaries will ask what you did in your time off), you'll make yourself a much more attractive applicant.

I'd love to stay in california for medical school as well, is that possible with such a score? If not that's fine i'd just be happy in a decent non-carribean med school.

California... Sorry, but that changes things. Unless you're URM or a great 'fit' for a particular school's mission, a 30 MCAT and 3.6-ish GPA is only marginally competitive for a CA school. Low-tier private - yes. DO - absolutely. But for CA, shoot for a 33+ MCAT, and work on your mission-fit.

Reactions: 1 user
Strongly concur. Keep in mind that TUCOM-CA and Western will take you instantly.

California... Sorry, but that changes things. Unless you're URM or a great 'fit' for a particular school's mission, a 30 MCAT and 3.6-ish GPA is only marginally competitive for a CA school. Low-tier private - yes. DO - absolutely. But for CA, shoot for a 33+ MCAT, and work on your mission-fit.