Is a 5th year looked down upon by medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YankeesfanZF5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if taking some extra classes for fun, increasing gpa, time before medical school to blow, etc. is looked down upon? I like school wouldn't mind going for a long time...oh wait

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if taking some extra classes for fun, increasing gpa, time before medical school to blow, etc. is looked down upon? I like school wouldn't mind going for a long time...oh wait
Gap years are becoming rather common, so no.

It's rather a pre-med delusion that there is something wrong with you if you need more than four years to graduate or apply to med school.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Gap years are becoming rather common, so no.

It's rather a pre-med delusion that there is something wrong with you if you need more than four years to graduate or apply to med school.
What would you recommend for a 5th year? I have no debt and my science and overall GPA are decent. Should you pursue another degree so it doesn't look like wasted time? Take stuff you enjoy? Graduate in 4 and go back and take more classes? Thanks!

Don't waste time and money on another degree if your GPA is good. If you actually plan on taking one gap year, you will apply right after 4th year, so it doesn't really matter what you do as long as you do something. Most people would probably need to work. Research would look good.

What would you recommend for a 5th year? I have no debt and my science and overall GPA are decent. Should you pursue another degree so it doesn't look like wasted time? Take stuff you enjoy? Graduate in 4 and go back and take more classes? Thanks!
Improving your app. It's OK to work and save up some money, but you can never have enough volunteering hours.

Don't waste time and money on another degree if your GPA is good. If you actually plan on taking one gap year, you will apply right after 4th year, so it doesn't really matter what you do as long as you do something. Most people would probably need to work. Research would look good.
I plan to take the MCAT after I graduate. Parents offered to pay for my 5th year and I already have my first 4 paid for. So money not an issue, getting into medical school is....I have done an REU and right now doing research with my biochemistry prof for research and doing an undergraduate honors thesis. Not much for clinical work hours but have shadowed alot...gpa sitting around 3.9. Thinking about getting an EMT and paramedic in time off and or just getting some more knowledge at the old undergrad. Thanks for the reply! Any thoughts on my situation?

Improving your app. It's OK to work and save up some money, but you can never have enough volunteering hours.
I will volunteer some more! I don't have debt. I worked and paid for undergraduate already. Going to take MCAT summer after graduation and then unsure what to do because I won't apply until that next year. Was thinking EMT class to stay in Academia or work on a business degree or something while shadowing and working random jobs. Just wondering if med schools see that as a bad thing. I figured get older, work some and get out in the real world while applying. Thoughts? You have been very helpful. Thank you!

5th years are very common, if you take one as a fifth year senior or as a post bacc it won't have much (if any) impact on your application.

Reactions: 1 user