Is a first author systematic review in a non-medical discipline worth less than a medical publication?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

and 99 others

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I conducted a systematic review in a field of the social sciences (but tangentially related to health) and was listed as first author, would this be significantly less valuable than a first author systematic review in, say, a surgical field or is there no difference, would it just be equally good to have a first author pub, no matter the topic? If there is a difference in preferability, how significant would that be?

Members don't see this ad.

People stress way too much about what is considered significant or not. If the research is something you enjoy, getting a first author pub is always impressive. There is of course some hierarchy, but getting a pub is the goal overall.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it PubMed searchable? I mean, it's always better to have a publication in the field to which you are applying, but its better to have any publication than no publication.
Yes, it would be Pubmed searchable. I am not sure which field I will be applying to which makes me wonder if a pub that focuses on public health in general is better than a pub in a surgical subspecialty, in the event I don't end up applying to that specialty. (I understand either is good to have regardless, just trying to make a relative comparison)

Yes, it would be Pubmed searchable. I am not sure which field I will be applying to which makes me wonder if a pub that focuses on public health in general is better than a pub in a surgical subspecialty, in the event I don't end up applying to that specialty. (I understand either is good to have regardless, just trying to make a relative comparison)
If you don't know, then no, it doesn't matter. What matters more in that regard is that is it something you are interested it and is it something you could talk about in an way that's makes you sound interested and passionate about on an interview if you get asked about it.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

(Seriously, either of these would be good. If you do go into that surgical subspecialty then publishing in that field would be preferable, but otherwise I don't think there's a huge difference between the two beyond the impact factor of the journal that you submit to).

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
If you don't know, then no, it doesn't matter. What matters more in that regard is that is it something you are interested it and is it something you could talk about in an way that's makes you sound interested and passionate about on an interview if you get asked about it.
I actually know for a fact that I dont want to go into this subspecialty but do think I want to go into surgery. But the public health one I am definitely much more passionate about so that helps, thank you!