Is a June 16th MCAT date too late for the 2018 application cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecap888

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to take the MCAT on June 16th, but I'm worried about not getting my score until mid July.

Is this date too late to apply for the 2018 cycle? And if not, what strategy should I use for submitting applications?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not too late, but you will be applying without knowing your MCAT score so your school list might not be as accurate as it could be. You also won't have time to retake it. If you have taken many practice exams so you have an idea where you stand, and are confident going in to test day you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm scheduled to take the MCAT on June 16th, but I'm worried about not getting my score until mid July.

Is this date too late to apply for the 2018 cycle? And if not, what strategy should I use for submitting applications?
If you're willing to gamble the cost of applying to just one school, you can submit your application early in June to get your transcripts verified early. When your score returns, you can add and pay for schools appropriate for your score and have those schools receive the entire application within a business day in mid-July. If the score is too low to continue with the application cycle, you would be a reapplicant only at the one school to which you'd applied. (You might want to pick a school you don't care to attend anyway.)

Reactions: 3 users
I took the MCAT on June 28/29 (can't remember which) of last year. However, I did feel that my application was pretty strong overall; I may not have decided to take it as late as I did otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user
I took the MCAT on June 28/29 (can't remember which) of last year. However, I did feel that my application was pretty strong overall; I may not have decided to take it as late as I did otherwise.

How did you do on your mcat and did you fare well with the cycle in terms of timing? Did you submit AMCAS early and then add schools later on too?

How did you do on your mcat and did you fare well with the cycle in terms of timing? Did you submit AMCAS early and then add schools later on too?
I was pretty much right on the MCAT average for my school! I had the application ready to go, then as soon as I got my score I updated the list of schools to apply to and sent it in. It was a little stressful--because I was worried that I would get left behind with the later date--but I ended up getting some interviews for November and got accepted really quickly after my interview. So, I don't feel that June 16th is too late if your application is good overall, because although most people send it in first thing schools are looking for good applicants, not just people who apply early.
Just my 0.02!

I was pretty much right on the MCAT average for my school! I had the application ready to go, then as soon as I got my score I updated the list of schools to apply to and sent it in. It was a little stressful--because I was worried that I would get left behind with the later date--but I ended up getting some interviews for November and got accepted really quickly after my interview. So, I don't feel that July 16th is too late if your application is good overall, because although most people send it in first thing schools are looking for good applicants, not just people who apply early.
Just my 0.02!

Oh I see, so you submitted AMCAS for verification after getting your score? Or was it already verified by the time you got your MCAT?

Oh I see, so you submitted AMCAS for verification after getting your score? Or was it already verified by the time you got your MCAT?
Yeah I submitted it after I got my score. But it may be a good idea to send it in before and update your school list after you get your score!