Is a low GPA but higher GRE score enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Theescapist03

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a self created dilemma of having a low GPA but wanting to go to a DPT program in Florida. What do you think I can do to improve my application and increase my chances?

University: University of Florida
Major: B.S. Applied Physiology and Kinesiology
Prereq GPA: 3.51
  • As of now I still have to take physics 2, chem 2 and retake chem 1 (got a C in it)
  • If I get all A's in physics 2, chem 2 and chem 1 I will have a prereq GPA of 3.68 or 3.8 (if they don't count my prior C in chem)
Overall GPA: 3.02
Last 60 GPA: 3.05
  • If i take physics 2 and chem 2 and retake chem 1 i can hover around a 3.10-3.15
  • I know it's not good and there isn't much I can do to increase it
GRE: 163Q, 156V, 4.5AW

Observation hours : I have 65 but I am planning and looking around to boost them waaaay up. Should I diversify as well?

EC: Internship at a radiology clinic for 530 hours as part of my spring term. Volunteer at a local hospital. I am also in the National Guard and I wonder if that is a good because of the skills it has taught me or bad thing since i could be away for training or even deployed.

So what do you suggest I do to stand out more and make up for my lower GPA? I appreciate all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I’d definitely recommend diversifying your observation hours to include at least one inpatient and one outpatient setting. And if there’s a setting you think you’re interested in pursuing, try to get some observation there as well. I don’t know much about Florida schools, but I would ask the admissions offices of different schools how they evaluate applicants (some look at cGPA, some look at pGPA, others look at last 60). I’d look through some threads from previous cycles to look at what kind of student gets accepted at those schools. Try to avoid getting discouraged by those with high GPAs, the first step to succeeding is believing in yourself!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I have a self created dilemma of having a low GPA but wanting to go to a DPT program in Florida. What do you think I can do to improve my application and increase my chances?

University: University of Florida
Major: B.S. Applied Physiology and Kinesiology
Prereq GPA: 3.51
  • As of now I still have to take physics 2, chem 2 and retake chem 1 (got a C in it)
  • If I get all A's in physics 2, chem 2 and chem 1 I will have a prereq GPA of 3.68 or 3.8 (if they don't count my prior C in chem)
Overall GPA: 3.02
Last 60 GPA: 3.05
  • If i take physics 2 and chem 2 and retake chem 1 i can hover around a 3.10-3.15
  • I know it's not good and there isn't much I can do to increase it
GRE: 163Q, 156V, 4.5AW

Observation hours : I have 65 but I am planning and looking around to boost them waaaay up. Should I diversify as well?

EC: Internship at a radiology clinic for 530 hours as part of my spring term. Volunteer at a local hospital. I am also in the National Guard and I wonder if that is a good because of the skills it has taught me or bad thing since i could be away for training or even deployed.

So what do you suggest I do to stand out more and make up for my lower GPA? I appreciate all the help!

You will definitely get in...but choice schools that compliments your GPA.
Best of luck, I believe in you!!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! What makes you think I have a good chance? And should I go around contacting school directly to see what they look for? I'm having a hard time figuring out what they all want.

I got in with a relatively low GPA and good GRE; feel free to message me if you have specific questions and good luck!

Thank you! What makes you think I have a good chance? And should I go around contacting school directly to see what they look for? I'm having a hard time figuring out what they all want.

Trust me, you'll get in. I suggest the following.

Research schools that fit your GPA
Visit schools and make an impression
Stand out, now what I mean by this is to try to do things other applicants wouldnt do. I.E difference observation...IDK you deiced.
Lastly, Believe in yourself and stay motivated!

BEST.

I've been where you are, and on second cycle, I got into a GREAT state school at $35k 3-year cost. Hang in there. I retook two pre-requisite C classes at schools known to be the easiest, online, and brought them to A. Buy the book :
"A New Exercise: How to Succeed at the Interview for a DPT"
PM me with your email, and I will send you a spreadsheet of all DPT schools, with a beaucoup of useful stats on all the programs. The data is a couple of years old, but I have adjusted for inflation, and other stats are still applicable. It allowed me to rank schools that fit my stats, allowed me to apply to some expensive back-up schools, a couple of low-cost preferred schools. I was sitting in the 3rd day of class of a good $90k program, when I got the invite my dream program. "See ya:)" Good luck!

I have a similar cumulative GPA and have A's and B's in my prerequisites (prerequisite GPA 3.5-3.7) but my total GRE is 297. I didn't get accepted in my top schools (University of Michigan and Iowa) but waiting on my last 4.

My undergrad GPA was 2.56 with a BA in English. 11 years later, I took 51 credits in 16 months, and got As in all of them (pre-reqs), which brought my GPA up to 2.98. A few my pre-reqs the second time were actually repeated courses (I had zero idea, goes to show how much I valued undergrad), from which I took them from Fs and Cs to As, so depending if the school weighs retaking classes as an average, that's up to you to find out.

Bottom line: 2.98 cGPA, "4.0" in pre-reqs (probably 3.6 if you average the re-takes), 154 quan, 156 qual, 4.5 writing.

You're so much more than these numbers. Show and tell the program your life experiences, what makes you unique as person, what drives you to become the best PT the program has ever had. Research the current definition of a PT, its place in the medical community, and where you'd like to take it. Definitely diversify your actual PT experience, and remember that it's quality, not quantity. I only had 70 hrs in outpatient, and 95 hours in acute inpatient, but I did it while going to school full time and across 3 different colleges. Let your story show that you're more than numbers, and show some personality in your essay and interview. I got into two extremely competitive programs, one being in FL, and I think showing my drive and telling my story spoke louder than my numbers.