Is a major field test result a worthy update?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buck Winters

You've got a mountain for a face.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergrad had everyone take a biology major field test prior to graduation. I just got the results and scored in the 90th percentile. My MCAT was the 91st percentile. Is this something I should send to schools as an update? I've heard updates should be limited to new accomplishments or worthwhile information, and I don't want to shed the wrong light on my application by sending an inappropriate update. Thoughts from those qualified would be most appreciated.

The test company:
https://www.ets.org/mft/about

Members don't see this ad.

this will provide no benefit

Reactions: 3 users
this will provide no benefit
The answer is always no if you don't ask, right? It was a shot in the dark but a shot I figured I should take. Thanks for the response.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't send an update for this. It doesn't tell them anything they don't already know from your MCAT and GPA. Most won't even know what to make of a "biology major field test" regardless.

Reactions: 1 user
It would be different if this were a test that everyone took (like the MCAT). I don't suspect that many programs would know what to do with the results of your test.

Thank you for your responses. I searched the forum for some answers prior to posting. Hopefully this can be a solid reference for future applicants as well. I had pretty much forgotten about the test until I got the results, and when I saw them, I thought they might fortify my MCAT and alleviate some concern with my GPA. I am thankful that I had solid resources to lean on prior to pulling the trigger.
/thread

Was your MCAT biology score bad? If not, this will demonstrate nothing.