Is a Master's Degree necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2kew24

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Some schools put expiration dates on pre-reqs.

Give your low MCAT scores, retaking those courses might be of use. Just do them DIY.

So no, a SMP is not needed.

Please do not engage in magic thinking in the belief that your essays will have to ability to make up for deficits in your app.

What were your MCAT score(s)? It's surprising that you were advised to pursue a master's with a GPA like that. Did they suggest an SMP or a regular master's?

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools put expiration dates on pre-reqs.

Give your low MCAT scores, retaking those courses might be of use. Just do them DIY.

So no, a SMP is not needed.

Please do not engage in magic thinking in the belief that your essays will have to ability to make up for deficits in your app.

Thank you for the response, Goro. Yes, you're right about essays not being able to make-up for key parts of an application. However, is it necessary to completely change what you have written, for example, a personal statement? I completely changed my personal statement when I applied the second time and made sure I told my story of why I wanted to pursue medicine. I will be making some changes to it for my third cycle, but I'm a bit apprehensive of writing a completely new one. As stated before, I had it proofread by many medical students and physicians and they responded positively towards it.

Thanks, again.

What were your MCAT score(s)? It's surprising that you were advised to pursue a master's with a GPA like that. Did they suggest an SMP or a regular master's?

They suggested a regular master's. Their reasoning was that you're going through a process of applying and getting accepted and that looks good for med schools, along with doing well in the program.

Last edited: