• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Is a Master's Degree necessary?

Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
Some schools put expiration dates on pre-reqs.

Give your low MCAT scores, retaking those courses might be of use. Just do them DIY.

So no, a SMP is not needed.

Please do not engage in magic thinking in the belief that your essays will have to ability to make up for deficits in your app.

About the Ads

2kew24

Jul 6, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Some schools put expiration dates on pre-reqs.

Give your low MCAT scores, retaking those courses might be of use. Just do them DIY.

So no, a SMP is not needed.

Please do not engage in magic thinking in the belief that your essays will have to ability to make up for deficits in your app.

Thank you for the response, Goro. Yes, you're right about essays not being able to make-up for key parts of an application. However, is it necessary to completely change what you have written, for example, a personal statement? I completely changed my personal statement when I applied the second time and made sure I told my story of why I wanted to pursue medicine. I will be making some changes to it for my third cycle, but I'm a bit apprehensive of writing a completely new one. As stated before, I had it proofread by many medical students and physicians and they responded positively towards it.

Thanks, again.

2kew24

Jul 6, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
What were your MCAT score(s)? It's surprising that you were advised to pursue a master's with a GPA like that. Did they suggest an SMP or a regular master's?

They suggested a regular master's. Their reasoning was that you're going through a process of applying and getting accepted and that looks good for med schools, along with doing well in the program.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
They suggested a regular master's. Their reasoning was that you're going through a process of applying and getting accepted and that looks good for med schools,
This is flat out wrong.

And MD schools discount research MS GPAs.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.