Publication Update Letter Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

velvetcoffee

Coffee
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
Does anyone have advice or an example of an update letter they sent for a publication? I know it will be a short update but it’s my first official one so I deem it important.

- intro: just affirm interest and TMDSAS/AMCAS ID (depending), thank for consideration
- how do I list the publication here? APA format? Link? DOI?
- connect to school and explain why important although just a publication for one of my most meaningful experiences?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sending it to schools you received interviews from?

Members don't see this ad :)
For most yes. For one school they only want updates BEFORE you interview :)
some schools don't accept updates even after an interview. DM me your schools and I can send you a list. I made an excel sheet with schools that take updates and when they take it (pre or post-interview).

Reactions: 1 user
Just send an email.
Dear Admissions Officer and Committee,
I am happy to report an update to my application. A manuscript reporting the work of my colleagues and me has been accepted for publication (has been published) in [journal name].

Smith R, Coffee V, Lee B, Brown FX. Extraordinary protein folding in vivo. J Biochem 2023;23:1023-1025.

I hope that this new information is of use as you review my application.

Sincerely,
Velvet Coffee
AMCAS #-----

23 is the volume and 1023-25 are the pages. DOI is nice to add, too. If there is an issue number, it goes in parenthesis after the volume number. This is the typical method of reporting journal articles in the medical literature, IIRC.
Typically, journals of more than one word are abbreviated with a standard set of abbreviations. If you aren't sure, spell out all the words.

I memorized the way to write citations in 1987 and never looked back. Here's something cited in N Engl J Med this week:
Hoffman B. Restraining the health care consumer: the history of deductibles and co-payments in U.S. health insurance. Soc Sci Hist 2006;30:501-528

I memorized the way to write citations in 1987 and never looked back. Here's something cited in N Engl J Med this week:
Hoffman B. Restraining the health care consumer: the history of deductibles and co-payments in U.S. health insurance. Soc Sci Hist 2006;30:501-528
I refuse to argue with admissions committee faculty on citation styles (without beverages and hors d'oeurves) :) :) [Alternate link.]
Thank you both! I wrote a little more about a visit to the school I took (because I know current students) is this okay? It's UTMB and I hear they care about interest (which I have)!

Reactions: 1 users
I have a side question about publication update letters. During my gap year, I completed a project and became co-first author on the manuscript, which was published in a good journal. I recently have been given an II from a school that I really like, however, I do not believe that they accept any updates. The interview is MMI, and I was wondering if its to somehow let them know about this during the interview? Should I call the admissions office to ask if there's anyway to let the committee know?

I have a side question about publication update letters. During my gap year, I completed a project and became co-first author on the manuscript, which was published in a good journal. I recently have been given an II from a school that I really like, however, I do not believe that they accept any updates. The interview is MMI, and I was wondering if its to somehow let them know about this during the interview? Should I call the admissions office to ask if there's anyway to let the committee know?
Clarify: this research / publication was not disclosed in your application as it is an ongoing activity in your gap year? When was this published?

Clarify: this research / publication was not disclosed in your application as it is an ongoing activity in your gap year? When was this published?
I just double checked my primary. Actually I do mention that I am authoring the manuscript and that its in progress, however, it had not been submitted to the journal at that time. I also describe the topic of the research and the work I do for the project. The paper was published two weeks ago.

I just double checked my primary. Actually I do mention that I am authoring the manuscript and that its in progress, however, it had not been submitted to the journal at that time. I also describe the topic of the research and the work I do for the project. The paper was published two weeks ago.
I don't think it is a huge deal, but ask the school how they would like you to submit it.