Is A Post-Bacc Program worth it for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MintyFresh811

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am in a bit of a dilemma here. As an undergrad student I have taken about 112 science credits (that's including retaking the same courses) and my science GPA is around a 2.9. I recently got accepted into a post-bacc program that will enhance my GPA. However, the number of credits they are offering is roughly 13 (4 Immuno/micro, 4 Genetics, 4 Biochem, 1 Problem Solving.) I just calculated my "updated" science GPA if I were to get all As in each class in the program, and my new science GPA would round to 3.0. This is still very low to be considered a competitive applicant.

Is it still worth for me spending so much money on a post-bacc program if it will only increase my science gpa by .1? Or would dental schools see that I have potential and improved on my grades in a rigorous program?

I am not sure what my next steps should be. Is a Master's program more beneficial then?

Thanks so much in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest doing a Special Masters program instead. It will give you new graduate GPAs that dental schools will view. It would benefit you most to get a 3.5+ GPA to show you can handle rigorous upper level science coursework

Reactions: 1 users
Is a Master's program more beneficial then?
Short answer, yes.

13 units is very little compared to 112, and would only account for like 10% of your entire science units (13/125) which is not very significant imo. Doing an SMP and getting a high GPA (3.7+) would show that you can handle rigorous, graduate level coursework (because post-bacc programs are still only undergraduate courses) and schools would be more inclined to believe you can handle dental school. @JustFlossy complied an amazing list of programs that you can find here: ~* List of Post-Bacc/Masters Programs (EXCEL SHEET) *~

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Short answer, yes.

13 units is very little compared to 112, and would only account for like 10% of your entire science units (13/125) which is not very significant imo. Doing an SMP and getting a high GPA (3.7+) would show that you can handle rigorous, graduate level coursework (because post-bacc programs are still only undergraduate courses) and schools would be more inclined to believe you can handle dental school. @JustFlossy complied an amazing list of programs that you can find here: ~* List of Post-Bacc/Masters Programs (EXCEL SHEET) *~
Thank you so much for your honest feedback! I will definitely look at the link

Reactions: 1 user
I would suggest doing a Special Masters program instead. It will give you new graduate GPAs that dental schools will view. It would benefit you most to get a 3.5+ GPA to show you can handle rigorous upper level science coursework
First of all, thanks for your response! And secondly, what do you mean by a “special” masters program? Would I need to pick a specific program?

Personally, Im not sure because I dont have experience with post bacs. It may look good that you nailed your post bac. I was in your shoes, low science gpa, good dat, and had been rejected first cycle but had applied very late. My options were to take the gamble and apply early (looking back there was no chance Id get in) or do a masters. I finally sucked it up and did the masters and got accepted. So if you have the option I would opt to go for the masters, it will be a lot tougher but it will prepare you better and you will have a better chance at getting in. So based on my personal experience (without experience with post bacc) I would strongly consider a masters program.

First of all, thanks for your response! And secondly, what do you mean by a “special” masters program? Would I need to pick a specific program?
No problem! And thank you @artist2022 for linking my excel sheet!

A Special Master’s program (or SMP) is a master's program that acts as a Record Enhancer for pre-health professional students who have completed most or all of their prerequisites. Some of these offer DAT prep, academic advising, or even linkage to a dental school if completed with a high GPA. I also have a section on the excel sheet for Record Enhancer SMPs, so feel free to check it out!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I am in a bit of a dilemma here. As an undergrad student I have taken about 112 science credits (that's including retaking the same courses) and my science GPA is around a 2.9. I recently got accepted into a post-bacc program that will enhance my GPA. However, the number of credits they are offering is roughly 13 (4 Immuno/micro, 4 Genetics, 4 Biochem, 1 Problem Solving.) I just calculated my "updated" science GPA if I were to get all As in each class in the program, and my new science GPA would round to 3.0. This is still very low to be considered a competitive applicant.

Is it still worth for me spending so much money on a post-bacc program if it will only increase my science gpa by .1? Or would dental schools see that I have potential and improved on my grades in a rigorous program?

I am not sure what my next steps should be. Is a Master's program more beneficial then?

I was a 3.0 gpa/2.9 sgpa/23 DAT applicant and recently graduated dschool. There's an important question you need to ask yourself. What was the reason your grades were lower? Was it difficult or were you a major procrastinator or tough situations in life?

0.1 gpa increase may help you get past the minimum cut-offs at some schools. Most schools will see your GPA trend and take it into consideration. I think a good DAT is crucial to show admissions that you have what it takes.

I agree with Just Flossy, I did the post bacc route and still ended up having to do a MS. Just save the time, stress and money and go straight to a MS program.