Is a Summer Fellowship Helpful Regardless of Publication Potential?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gregor Samsa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got the NIDDK Summer Fellowship, but my project involves basic science research and might not yield "results" within the designated time period. While I am grateful for the opportunity, I am also wondering if I should aim for a more clinical project (without funding) where I can potentially be more productive. Would getting this fellowship by itself be helpful for residency, or are publications the only thing that matter? I would really appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Research experience will never hurt you. You could put the fellowship itself, and any presentation s you get from it, on your residency application.

A pub isn’t guaranteed regardless if you do basic science or clinical research. Clinical research typically only has a fast turn around if you have a large database or lots of charts to work with. You could use Medicare, NCDB, or SEER databases but this would only work if you had a mentor familiar with them.

Overall, make the most out of the experience. Pubs are great, but not having them doesn’t kill your chances of matching.

Reactions: 1 user
So I got the NIDDK Summer Fellowship, but my project involves basic science research and might not yield "results" within the designated time period. While I am grateful for the opportunity, I am also wondering if I should aim for a more clinical project (without funding) where I can potentially be more productive. Would getting this fellowship by itself be helpful for residency, or are publications the only thing that matter? I would really appreciate any input.
Guessing you're a MS1 now going into your first summer. I did research during that time too. Honestly, more than being productive, try to make some solid relationships wherever you go. No one expects a first year student to have a paper from 2 months of work (esp bench research). Best thing is to go, work hard, learn a lot, form lasting relationships with other scientists and potential mentors, and start MS2 having grown from it.

FWIW I did the NIH post-bacc program before med school and I didn't get a paper even after a year of research, but during my residency interviews, it did come up and people were interested in what I was looking at.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like there's a symposium where you're required to present your research at the end of it, so even though it's not a major national meeting you'll be able to put a presentation on your CV from this. I agree with above, this is a good opportunity to network, to try basic science research, have some big-name mentor that you can namedrop in interviews, etc. If you're interested at all in this line of research go for it.

Reactions: 2 users

I know a few who have done this fellowship. They got a publication but it came after a few years and it was in the NEJM. These projects aren't simple and arent for you to complete. They grant is so that you can be a part of these larger projects and studies and give you a glimpse into the realm.

I didn't exactly get a paper out of my summer research experience but I got 2 posters and a trip to the national conference. Also the experience was brought up at every single one of my residency interviews as my PI is pretty well-known in the academic circle. Also an automatic interview at said institution.

It will be beneficial if you make a good impression. I say go for it. Unless you have some other grand plan for the summer.