Is an August DAT test date considered late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okiedokeartichoke

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be neurotic. It's that time of year, again. This question may be more appropriate for the DAT sub-forum, but I figured I'd cast a wider net of responses in this busier pool. I've been searching meticulously through past threads for reassurance that it's okay, and the majority of responses seem to echo this sentiment. BUT, I'd like some extra reassurance from more recent applicants.

I have a date open on August 8th at the earliest for that month at my nearest Prometric Center. I also have an opening on July 20th at the latest in July. However, I do not believe I'd feel comfortable taking it that soon, and I'd rather risk taking the DAT at a later date and doing well over taking it a couple weeks earlier and doing poorly.

I already have plans to e-submit my application and request transcripts in June, no doubt about that. I've been lurking SDN long enough to know that that's the case. All that will be missing is my Committee LOR (which will not be sent out until the first week of August at the earliest at my school--my health committee is strict about this) and lastly my DAT scores. I understand that official score reports will not be received by AADSAS and the schools until 2-4 weeks later, which potentially places me with a complete application in mid-late August/early September :unsure:

The thing is, I have a weak GPA (~3.3 cGPA/~3.1 sGPA if my calculations are correct including 6 post-bacc biology courses of all A's) but I graduated from a great college with good extracurriculars, plentiful volunteer experience, some leadership roles and a research internship. I've also been working part-time as a dental assistant for nearly 10 months, so the only thing concerning me is my weak GPA and this darn DAT ...

I have Chad's, AP Cliffs, both Destroyers, and BC will be bought later. With all that being said, will I be at a disadvantage taking the DAT August 8th given my weak GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Well the schools won't be reading anything until they get the LORs.
I would advise you to do everything else, aka transcripts and stuff asap. And just submitting application.
Then update the dat stuff when it comes. August/September isn't that late but it's not early either. Your dat scores will depend on how well you do, not when you take it. Goodluck!

nah thats fine, I took mine in august lol

If you don't mind me asking, when did you start getting interview invites and what are your stats?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Took my DAT August 10
AA/TS/PAT 22/22/23. GPA 3.4

My application didn't get processed with my letters/scores until mid September because lolpredentaladvisor. Got an interview from my state school the next week. Rejected before interview at OOS schools (as expected. I'm applying later and my GPA wasn't strong). Got more interview invites in January/February from private schools. 5 schools applied, went to 3 interviews -> 3 acceptances.

Moral of the story: you'll be fine as long as you do well on the DAT. Push it back if you need to. I wouldn't push it back farther than August 8th though.

Disclaimer: n = 1. Take with grain of salt.

Took my DAT August 10
AA/TS/PAT 22/22/23. GPA 3.4

My application didn't get processed with my letters/scores until mid September because lolpredentaladvisor. Got an interview from my state school the next week. Rejected before interview at OOS schools (as expected. I'm applying later and my GPA wasn't strong). Got more interview invites in January/February from private schools. 5 schools applied, went to 3 interviews -> 3 acceptances.

Moral of the story: you'll be fine as long as you do well on the DAT. Push it back if you need to. I wouldn't push it back farther than August 8th though.

Disclaimer: n = 1. Take with grain of salt.

When did you end up e-submitting your application though? And when did your predental advisor send the LORs? Is there a processing time for LORs to be uploaded onto AADSAS?

I did the e-submission August 15. My advisor wanted to know what I got on my DAT before finishing my LOR (???). He sent it in about 3 days after I took my exam. I'm guessing that uploading LORs should be (at most) a one-day process.

I did the e-submission August 15. My advisor wanted to know what I got on my DAT before finishing my LOR (???). He sent it in about 3 days after I took my exam. I'm guessing that uploading LORs should be (at most) a one-day process.

Oh, dear. I hope that's not the case with me. I don't think my committee requires to know scores first before they send them. My committee refuses to send anything before August anyways, so :shrug: But I do plan on e-submitting in June.