Is an ecology/evolution course required for med school?

Started by TeaLeef
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TeaLeef

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My counselor says that I should still take a course titled Ecology,Evolution,and Biodiversity because med schools require it. But I thought that med schools only require a year of any kind of biology. What do you guys think? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks! 🙂
 
Tiffany43 said:
My counselor says that I should still take a course titled Ecology,Evolution,and Biodiversity because med schools require it.

Is your counselor a drunk?
 
Of course no med school would require so frivolous a class. However, I still recommend you take it if you have the time, I really enjoyed my evolution, ecology, and natural history (~biodiversity) classes. That's great that your college has a class for all 3 rolled into one, I'm jealous! It depends if you're "into" this kind of stuff though. I love it, I don't like the biochem and cellular stuff nearly as much. You probably won't get a chance to learn this stuff again.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with the above responses. You have more than enough bio courses it seems. Med schools typically require Gen Chem 1 & 2, Organic 1 & 2, Physics 1 +2, Gen Bio 1 + 2, 1 semester biochem (some), Calc 1 + 2 (some), two semesters English (some), some require 1-3 classes in the social sciences or humanities

Don't worry about evolution/ecology/biodiversity. If it interests you, by all means take it, but don't just because of your advisor's recommendation - -especially if it will bog down your schedule and take away time from what is important.
 
I guess a good question to ask is whether or not such a class is pertinent to material on the MCAT?