Is an online, virtual clinical shadowing experience worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

O.F. Hanson

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently became involved in an online clinical shadowing experience to gain some insight in to medical practice and the field in general. I have successfully completed one month (September) of HEAL by attending Wednesday evening sessions and earned 5 hrs. of experience (my documented certificate [PM to view], for example). However, I wonder if this experience is worth the same as (doubt it), less as, or even anything similar as in-person shadowing?

Note: I in no way intend to solely attain all my hours from online experience, but it is all I am capable of attending throughout the academic year.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for the feedback, I will edit the certificate link to remove it.

Though, may I ask, is there any online opportunity available even remotely worth a try to show for clinical experience? I would really like an opportunity, it is just difficult to attain throughout the academic year and summers (my summers are research intensive; I am an aspirant physician-scientist).

Though, may I ask, is there any online opportunity available even remotely worth a try to show for clinical experience? I would really like an opportunity, it is just difficult to attain throughout the academic year and summers (my summers are research intensive; I am an aspirant physician-scientist).
It is even less useful for those held to a higher standard.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all,

I recently became involved in an online clinical shadowing experience to gain some insight in to medical practice and the field in general. I have successfully completed one month (September) of HEAL by attending Wednesday evening sessions and earned 5 hrs. of experience (my documented certificate [PM to view], for example). However, I wonder if this experience is worth the same as (doubt it), less as, or even anything similar as in-person shadowing?

Note: I in no way intend to solely attain all my hours from online experience, but it is all I am capable of attending throughout the academic year.

Thank you in advance.
In the AMCAS Work and Activities section Admission Committees are looking for at least one meaningful experience/activity that includes clinical experience w/ patient contact and/or shadowing experiences. Clinical Experience/Exposure and Shadowing SHOULD include MEANINGFUL in-person/live-patient contact (working in the morgue is not patient contact for example). Any exposure to bedside manner and/or clinical best practices is important: otherwise how do you know what your getting yourself into besides what you see on TV and Movies which is NOT what being an MD really entails. Shadowing of course is observational in nature but much can be learned from this experience. The reason clinical experience and shadowing are important is this is how you know what the job truly entails and whether or not you still want to pursue an MD after your clinical/shadowing experiences. Being an MD is not as glamorous as depicted on TV or in the Movies and can include mundane tasks like dictating or a full day of boring patients. Working virtually or at the information/admissions desk of a hospital/clinic is not clinical in nature. All said, IT'S NOT ABOUT WHAT YOU DID THAT IS MEANINGFUL IT IS WHAT YOU GOT OUT OF IT THAT MAKES IT MEANINGFUL: i.e. you could be a phlebotomist with hundreds of hours of patient contact but if you can't' demonstrate that you learned something from this experience that will make you good physician it was in vain. The experience description should focus on you and your growth versus how high-profile the experience was.
All work/activity entries should include the following:
  • How much time you spent
  • Your responsibilities and accomplishments
  • The impact you made
  • The qualities you demonstrated
Taking your experience into consideration this is what I would suggest: find a shadowing or medical/clinical volunteer/work opportunity and reflect on how your insight into being an MD has expanded and now includes a better understanding of what an MD is actually all about. This shows the virtual experience set the stage for a truly transformative experience. Perhaps your passion to pursue an MD will be strengthened afterwards. This would make your virtual experience meaningful despite not having patient contact in a clinical setting: and perhaps get you some head nods. Better yet, try offering to take health readings at your local church, school or SENIOR CENTER OR HOMELESS SHELTER such as BMI, waist circumference or blood pressure and give handouts on being overweight or having high blood pressure: low-cost/high yield. AND DON'T FORGET SUGGESTING A CONSULTATION WITH AN MD FOR FOLLOW-UP AND TO NOT DISPENCE MEDICAL ADVICE. You can demonstrate you spent a considerable amount of time planning/executing, you were responsible for all aspects (leadership), you made an impact of helping X amount of people learn more about their "possible" chronic health condition and you demonstrated key attributes of a future doctor: altruism, dedication, hard work, growth, being able to deal with people from different backgrounds and who may not look/smell the best and self-awareness.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Thank you both for the feedback, I will edit the certificate link to remove it.

What are you doing that makes it impossible to get some in person shadowing? You only need 50 hours as long as you get some with a primary care doc. I’m almost afraid to ask how your clinical experience and nonclinical volunteering are going? ,

What are you doing that makes it impossible to get some in person shadowing? You only need 50 hours as long as you get some with a primary care doc. I’m almost afraid to ask how your clinical experience and nonclinical volunteering are going? ,
Lack of access to shadowing opportunities is a common problem that premedical students from rural and underserved communities face: perhaps this might be the case

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
Lack of access to shadowing opportunities is a common problem that premedical students from rural and underserved communities face: perhaps this might be the case
Where are you getting that?

It is not necessarily impossible for me to attain shadowing, but opportunities are a bit limited for me in a semi-rural Berea, KY campus. My volunteering is okay (considering I started this year), but the volunteering opportunity is only available because it is an established campus organization which allows me to travel and volunteer with others (44hrs. Total in undergrad). For clinical opportunities, I would have to travel a bit on my own (I dont have a car on campus, but I believe I can organize travel with others).

I may seek some form of clinical experience or shadowing opportunity over a break period. But essentially my question was can “online clinical shadowing hours” be counted in anyway toward total clinical shadowing hours? Though, as others have stated, they cannot.

May it be noted, I am sophomore undergrad. So far my research is okay (400hrs. +publication pending). GPA: 3.98, sGPA: 4.0 (from 2 semesters). MCAT: N/A.

With these numbers, should I pick it up?

Thank you for the response

In the AMCAS Work and Activities section Admission Committees are looking for at least one meaningful experience/activity that includes clinical experience w/ patient contact and/or shadowing experiences. Clinical Experience/Exposure and Shadowing SHOULD include MEANINGFUL in-person/live-patient contact (working in the morgue is not patient contact for example). Any exposure to bedside manner and/or clinical best practices is important: otherwise how do you know what your getting yourself into besides what you see on TV and Movies which is NOT what being an MD really entails. Shadowing of course is observational in nature but much can be learned from this experience. The reason clinical experience and shadowing are important is this is how you know what the job truly entails and whether or not you still want to pursue an MD after your clinical/shadowing experiences. Being an MD is not as glamorous as depicted on TV or in the Movies and can include mundane tasks like dictating or a full day of boring patients. Working virtually or at the information/admissions desk of a hospital/clinic is not clinical in nature. All said, IT'S NOT ABOUT WHAT YOU DID THAT IS MEANINGFUL IT IS WHAT YOU GOT OUT OF IT THAT MAKES IT MEANINGFUL: i.e. you could be a phlebotomist with hundreds of hours of patient contact but if you can't' demonstrate that you learned something from this experience that will make you good physician it was in vain. The experience description should focus on you and your growth versus how high-profile the experience was.
All work/activity entries should include the following:
  • How much time you spent
  • Your responsibilities and accomplishments
  • The impact you made
  • The qualities you demonstrated
Taking your experience into consideration this is what I would suggest: find a shadowing or medical/clinical volunteer/work opportunity and reflect on how your insight into being an MD has expanded and now includes a better understanding of what an MD is actually all about. This shows the virtual experience set the stage for a truly transformative experience. Perhaps your passion to pursue an MD will be strengthened afterwards. This would make your virtual experience meaningful despite not having patient contact in a clinical setting: and perhaps get you some head nods. Better yet, try offering to take health readings at your local church, school or SENIOR CENTER OR HOMELESS SHELTER such as BMI, waist circumference or blood pressure and give handouts on being overweight or having high blood pressure: low-cost/high yield. AND DON'T FORGET SUGGESTING A CONSULTATION WITH AN MD FOR FOLLOW-UP AND TO NOT DISPENCE MEDICAL ADVICE. You can demonstrate you spent a considerable amount of time planning/executing, you were responsible for all aspects (leadership), you made an impact of helping X amount of people learn more about their "possible" chronic health condition and you demonstrated key attributes of a future doctor: altruism, dedication, hard work, growth, being able to deal with people from different backgrounds and who may not look/smell the best and self-awareness.
Very, very helpful! Thank you for responding. I certainly plan on attaining an in-person clinical experience in the future, but I am currently stuck on where (i’ll figure it out).

You really clarified a bit as to what a “great” clinical experience should entail.

It is not necessarily impossible for me to attain shadowing, but opportunities are a bit limited for me in a semi-rural Berea, KY campus. My volunteering is okay (considering I started this year), but the volunteering opportunity is only available because it is an established campus organization which allows me to travel and volunteer with others (44hrs. Total in undergrad). For clinical opportunities, I would have to travel a bit on my own (I dont have a car on campus, but I believe I can organize travel with others).

I may seek some form of clinical experience or shadowing opportunity over a break period. But essentially my question was can “online clinical shadowing hours” be counted in anyway toward total clinical shadowing hours? Though, as others have stated, they cannot.

May it be noted, I am sophomore undergrad. So far my research is okay (400hrs. +publication pending). GPA: 3.98, sGPA: 4.0 (from 2 semesters). MCAT: N/A.

With these numbers, should I pick it up?

Thank you for the response
Your GPAs are very nice. But without a real MCAT nobody can predict. And one good metric doesn’t replace a less than good metric. You need to build a complete and competitive application. And don’t apply until you have a great application. There is no hurry and most applicants take a gap year or two or five. Med Schools aren’t going anywhere.

Reactions: 2 users