Is an orange tie appropriate for a med school interview if...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikoness

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
...the school's color is orange?

and many pictures on their website depict faculty/etc wearing ties with orange on them?

I was thinking it may be a positive thing since they'd see my specific interest in their school.

However, everyone is different, some may consider it to be too off the wall for a professional interview.

I'm not talking a ridiculously bright orange. Orange/light blue/white striped on a light blue shirt and navy blue suit.

Yay or nay?

Members don't see this ad.

I think so. SDNers seem to be a little too worried about straying from the charcoal suit/white shirt/conservative tie combo. I have found that ADCOMs generally find the interviewing uniform amusing, and welcome a little variety. As long as you're wearing a suit and tie.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you wear that tie at an interview where the school's color is not orange? If so, then go ahead and wear it. Wearing the "school colors" specifically because they are those school's colors, if you don't already attend the school, seems to me like one is trying too hard.

Would you wear that tie at an interview where the school's color is not orange? If so, then go ahead and wear it. Wearing the "school colors" specifically because they are those school's colors, if you don't already attend the school, seems to me like one is trying too hard.

This made me think of a fellow interviewee on the interview trail that designed his suit/shirt/tie to match his alma mater. Brought it up to the rest of us right off the bat and I am sure they did so in their interview...not a bad thing just made a grown man giggle.

:shrug: wearing an orange tie would probably come off as sucking up or trying too hard. I did have an interview day where 2 guys wore the school colors in their ties (very common tie colors), and the admissions director commented that she loved it, but apart from that I highly doubt it would be any real benefit to your application.

I wore ties with the school colors at all 5 of my interviews, simply because I coincidentally already had them, the colors/patterns were conservative, and I thought, well, why the heck not!

Orange/light blue/white striped on a light blue shirt and navy blue suit.

Striped orange, light blue, and white? :thumbdown:I can't imagine that combination of colors looking good.

Sent from my SPH-L700 using Tapatalk 2

I wear a orange/pinkish tie with lil tiny turtles on it and I got into a school.... don't think it really matters

I say go all out and rock an orange suit...

Sent from my Galaxy S2

I wore my school colors to an interview at a rival school thinking nothing of it - after all, I was applying to med school, these are grown up things, and i have school colors that aren't crazy. I was singled out in the group and on the tour. I was picked on throughout the day. I have pretty thick skin so it didnt really upset me, but i did think "wow, these guys are d-bags."

Members don't see this ad :)
I say go all out and rock an orange suit...

Sent from my Galaxy S2

I wore a lime green tie and got compliments from the admissions office staff and interviews at one school.
At that point in time, I had no idea that tie colors were supposed to be conservative though

My first thought when I saw this thread was....

Princeton doesn't even have a medical school.

You've been with SDN's top school obsession too long. Miami, Florida, Illinois, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Virginia Tech...orange.

You've been with SDN's top school obsession too long. Miami, Florida, Illinois, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Virginia Tech...orange.

Texas is Burnt Orange. Big difference.

I guess it is all about the schools you know. I have a friend who is a Princetonian. Don't have any personal friends at Miami, Florida, Illinois, Tennessee, Virginia or Virginia Tech but I have lots of love for Texas. :horns:

:shrug: wearing an orange tie would probably come off as sucking up or trying too hard. I did have an interview day where 2 guys wore the school colors in their ties (very common tie colors), and the admissions director commented that she loved it, but apart from that I highly doubt it would be any real benefit to your application.

Yeah I see this being one of those things that may get a short amused chuckle and not much else (or a head shake of disapproval).

I wore ties with the school colors at all 5 of my interviews, simply because I coincidentally already had them, the colors/patterns were conservative, and I thought, well, why the heck not!

I actively tried to avoid matching the school's colors but I did once show up to a school wearing a tie that was remarkably similar to the school color. I thought it made me look like a fool but in the end I doubt it matters one way or another(unless the color/tie is obnoxious). I can't say I have seen very many non-obnoxious orange ties though...

I actively tried to avoid matching the school's colors but I did once show up to a school wearing a tie that was remarkably similar to the school color. I thought it made me look like a fool but in the end I doubt it matters one way or another(unless the color/tie is obnoxious). I can't say I have seen very many non-obnoxious orange ties though...

well, if i looked like a fool, then 2 schools were willing to accept a fool!

:smuggrin:

Ridiculous question. I wore up-to-my-knee leather boots to one of my interviews and no one batted an eye. Result? Accepted. Fashion choice is up to you, as long as you're comfortable, confident, and don't look like a fool.

Ridiculous question. I wore up-to-my-knee leather boots to one of my interviews and no one batted an eye. Result? Accepted. Fashion choice is up to you, as long as you're comfortable, confident, and don't look like a fool.

:eek:

Please, tell us you are a woman. Otherwise, this is too much to fathom.

Texas? With a bolo tie? You stud.

:eek:

Please, tell us you are a woman. Otherwise, this is too much to fathom.

Yes, I am female. Context of the situation was, it snowed heavily the day before my interview, and I'm a pretty clumsy person. If I wore my interview heels, I would have broken every bone in my body. Yes, I could have just packed interview heels in my bag, but I'm in love with my boots and they looked great with my outfit.

Sure. Maybe I might even wear a corduroy suit to my interviews as well. :rolleyes:

Yeah dude don't kiss butt like that, its not attractive.

What if you're interviewing at a school like Creighton (blue/white). Should you avoid wearing blue/white?

What if you're interviewing at a school like Creighton (blue/white). Should you avoid wearing blue/white?

I think common colors are perfectly fine. The school I was referring to in my previous post had the colors blue and gold, and I feel like that would be a normal color choice for a tie? (I'm not a guy and I am not up on my tie fashion, but blue and gold as well as blue and white seem pretty non-committal). You don't need to overthink it and completely avoid the school colors.

srs?

I think common colors are perfectly fine. The school I was referring to in my previous post had the colors blue and gold, and I feel like that would be a normal color choice for a tie? (I'm not a guy and I am not up on my tie fashion, but blue and gold as well as blue and white seem pretty non-committal). You don't need to overthink it and completely avoid the school colors.

ND guy hamming it up? unprecedented :rolleyes:

I wore my pink dress shirt (pretty masculine guy) during one interview and got complimented by both my interviewers who said it looked nice and gets boring that everyone is too scared to stand out. I was accepted, but I don't think the shirt had much impact. :laugh: