Is an SMP for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArtOfWar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title states, I've had Med. applications complete for over a month now and because of some scheduling issues I am currently stuck in a gap year. I am worried that I may not get in this cycle due to applying late (end of september/first week of oct. for most schools) and my GPA though sounds alright: 3.7 cGPA, 3.68 sGPA is inflated by taking the bio. and gen chem pre-reqs at community college (I took them while in an advanced program in high school and only later found out that I should've taken them at a University). Also my academic research was granted credit and greatly bolstered my gpa, even though my pre-req grades at Univ.:Biochem., O. Chem, Physics and some upper level bio classes aren't too hot: ~3.3-3.4. I think an SMP would improve this aspect of my application. Honestly though, the cost of an SMP is so high that I can't decide if it really would be worth the boost to my application, as I have no idea how closely medical schools look at which classes you take.

Add'l info: MCAT: balanced 32
All of the standard E.C.s nothing too extraordinary: shadowing, volunteering, work, research, clubs, leadership, tutoring, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

No to an SMP. You have no actual academic problems, just the ones in your mind. If you're in California or New York, you should probably assume your app year is blown, otherwise you might be okay.

You should be looking at June 1, 2014 as your submission date if you don't get love this year. Put your focus on activities that are legitimate app assets 8 months from now. I suggest doing something you're passionate about that you'll be dying to talk about in interviews.

Even if you're made of money and the $50k+ price tag for an SMP doesn't scare you, you should be scared of blowing it in an SMP. Totally unnecessary risk.

Best of luck to you.