Is anyone filling out the AACPMAS today? :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

that1guyfromFL

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It came online earlier this afternoon for 2010. FYI.

Good luck everybody!

Members don't see this ad.

I just started an hour ago but I also just had sent my transcipts today so I'll have to wait a while for that.

I actually just finished. What a beast! Entering in every course I have ever taken is a tedious task to say the least. I sent in my transcripts about a week ago so hopefully they'll be there right away. Then its just a waiting game!

Good luck everyone! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
so heres a question.. before wasn't the PS supposed to be 500 words or less? It says there is a 4500 character limit..is that about equivalent? I'm a bit concerned so hopefully everyone submitted 500 words or so.

so heres a question.. before wasn't the PS supposed to be 500 words or less? It says there is a 4500 character limit..is that about equivalent? I'm a bit concerned so hopefully everyone submitted 500 words or so.

Mine is 787. 4484 characters.

I planed my PS to be 500 words as well. I did a character count and its around 2,500 for 500 words. Wow before I edited and cut everything out it would have been nice to know that we could go way over 500 this year... back to writing.

yeah i just got upto 525 words and 3000 characters so i think i'm done.. rather then just add some nonsense i guess i'll just end it when its not that terrible lol. It won't look bad if i end it at 3000 characters right?

yeah i just got upto 525 words and 3000 characters so i think i'm done.. rather then just add some nonsense i guess i'll just end it when its not that terrible lol. It won't look bad if i end it at 3000 characters right?

I would have to think a typical adcom is going to care more about the content of your essay than the length as long as it says more than "I want to cut feet!" :D

My PS was exactly 4500 characters, and no, I'm not kidding. It was actually around 4700 when I finished and had something I liked, so I just cut a little out until it was down to the 4500 limit.

I have all of my coursework basically entered, so as soon as I hear back from them on how to enter repeat courses I should be all set!

Good luck to everyone! :)

Zaboota, can you PM what they tell you or post it here? I have a question about that too but havent gotten the oppurtunity to get in contact with the app cycle people. Thanks!

Zaboota, can you PM what they tell you or post it here? I have a question about that too but havent gotten the oppurtunity to get in contact with the app cycle people. Thanks!

I would be happy to. I emailed them earlier this evening so hopefully I'll hear back from them in the next day or two. When I do I'll post what I was told. :)

I would be happy to. I emailed them earlier this evening so hopefully I'll hear back from them in the next day or two. When I do I'll post what I was told. :)
Please do! I repeated a course and would like to know the specifics on how to enter that information. Thanks in advance! Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Started the app today, prob won't finish till tomorrow but my transcripts aren't there yet so it won't be complete before that happens anyways. Looking to take the air bud way of life with me to whichever school I end up choosing to attend...I bet he's tearing up like a proud father as I type this

I have taken my MCAT, but my scores have not been released yet. On the application you either mark planned or taken, but, if you mark taken it wants your scores. So my question is, do I mark taken and put "n/a" in the score boxes OR mark the "planned" box? THANKS!

I got an email this afternoon about the retake issue, I pasted the text below.

Hi Zaboota,

Both the original course and the repeated course should be marked as “repeat”.

Thank you.

I have taken my MCAT, but my scores have not been released yet. On the application you either mark planned or taken, but, if you mark taken it wants your scores. So my question is, do I mark taken and put "n/a" in the score boxes OR mark the "planned" box? THANKS!

I don't know from an official source, but if you don't want to call or email and ask them I would think that until you have an official score to release from MCAT THx it would be fine to just mark it as "planned" or as taken and N/A.

hey everyone,

I mailed out my transcript requests before I started the AACPMAS application. When I got through the application I realized that I had to submit the computer generated form that you get off the AACPMAS application for each school. Do you think the AACPMAS will still accept my transcripts without the computer generated form or should I just re-mail everything out?

I have called and e-mailed AACPMAS and I am still waiting for a response. I was just wondering if anyone already knew the answer to this question.

Thanks!

hey everyone,

I mailed out my transcript requests before I started the AACPMAS application. When I got through the application I realized that I had to submit the computer generated form that you get off the AACPMAS application for each school. Do you think the AACPMAS will still accept my transcripts without the computer generated form or should I just re-mail everything out?

I have called and e-mailed AACPMAS and I am still waiting for a response. I was just wondering if anyone already knew the answer to this question.

Thanks!

Taken directly from AACPMAS:

"Each of your Transcript Request Forms is unique. Each form has the name of an institution indicated on it, which must NOT be altered. Please be sure to send the correct form to each of your institutions. Transcripts sent without the appropriate Transcript Request form may result in the delay of your application."

So, why don't you just print the Transcript request form, fill in the blanks/sign/date, then FAX it to your school before they send your transcripts off so they can include the T.R.Form..

I have the same problem... I sent my transcript in before hand as well and find it a little unfair that I am being penalized for sending it in early WHICH was originally said on the website.

Same transcript problem here as well.

What makes it worse is that the website says AACPMAS it will not notify you if they are received or not. You must wait around for the information to appear on your online application OR NOT !

However,,,,,,,I'm hoping that having sent in the transcripts so early......the smart people there will be able to sort them out fairly easy even though there is no cover sheet..

Also, it's too late to fax a cover sheet to my UG school's now as they should have already sent my transcripts.

I have the same problem... I sent my transcript in before hand as well and find it a little unfair that I am being penalized for sending it in early WHICH was originally said on the website.
I agree... apparently I am in the same boat! Did they even make the cover sheet available before the online applications opened up? IT just said to beat the rush and send in the transcripts early... Nothing about a cover sheet

I got a response back from AACPMAS today. DO NOT FRET...we are all ok! Read my e-mail and the following response

ME:

Hello,

I already submitted my transcript requests to the schools I formerly attended without including the AACPMAS transcript request form. Will my transcripts still be accepted without this form? The first thing I did today was mail out my transcript requests before I started to fill out the AACPMAS online application.

AACPMAS:

Dear Applicant,

Yes, your transcripts will be accepted without the form.

Thank you.

I got a response back from AACPMAS today. DO NOT FRET...we are all ok! Read my e-mail and the following response

ME:

Hello,

I already submitted my transcript requests to the schools I formerly attended without including the AACPMAS transcript request form. Will my transcripts still be accepted without this form? The first thing I did today was mail out my transcript requests before I started to fill out the AACPMAS online application.

AACPMAS:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you.

I emailed them this morning before I left for work. I just checked my email and found the exact same response. So, all of us that had them sent early should be ok!

Good luck to everyone applying. :)

where is everyone applying? I am only looking at nycpm and ocpm because I am located out of NJ. I am more interested in nycpm because they have a January term option. It would be nice to get started early and knockoff some classes before to make the load lighter the rest of the way. What are other people's opinions on other schools?

where is everyone applying? I am only looking at nycpm and ocpm because I am located out of NJ. I am more interested in nycpm because they have a January term option. It would be nice to get started early and knockoff some classes before to make the load lighter the rest of the way. What are other people's opinions on other schools?

Scholl
DMU
OCPM
Midwestern

These are where I'm applying and also in the order I wish to attend. :)

I'm guessing the form is just something they are providing as a courtesy to the applicant. Not required, but just something to make the requests easier for the applicant if they hadn't already requested their transcripts. Some schools have these for LORs and such, but they aren't required at all.

Did you guys write in your extracurricular activities and also enter them in a second time where you enter work experience with your hours and job description etc?

What do we classify as observing podiatrists or other types of physicians in the work experience section?

Thanks!

I'm getting my major in Nutrition Science and two minors in chem and bio...does anyone know how to enter in 2 different minors?

thanks again!

Did you guys write in your extracurricular activities and also enter them in a second time where you enter work experience with your hours and job description etc?

What do we classify as observing podiatrists or other types of physicians in the work experience section?

Thanks!

Why would you enter work experience as an extracurricular?

If the shadowing was with a Pod I would put it under Podiatric Experience.

If it was MD/DO/whatever shadowing, I would put it under Extracurricular Experience.

Why would you enter work experience as an extracurricular?

If the shadowing was with a Pod I would put it under Podiatric Experience.

If it was MD/DO/whatever shadowing, I would put it under Extracurricular Experience.

I would put medical volunteer work under Health Care Experience. Well, not only would I, I did. I guess if that was the wrong spot, then it's the wrong spot as it's a little late to change it now. :)

I'm getting my major in Nutrition Science and two minors in chem and bio...does anyone know how to enter in 2 different minors?

thanks again!

Quick question. Why pick an undegrad major unrelated to DPM such as Nut. Sci.? I can see bio & chem relevant (& thus making one of those the major not minors, & impressing an adcomm with you wanting to know basic sciences that set foundations for DPM school). Just curious.

What are people's thoughts on classifying athletic training courses in the 2010 application? These are mainly clinical/practicum classes with semester-long periods of hands on patient interaction. I felt these fit more in line with the "other science" course classification due to the AACPMAS FAQ listing sports medicine under that section. I can also see, however, how an argument could be made for "other non-science" due to the AACPMAS FAQ listing health, physical therapy, and physical education under that section. The classification only really matters for GPA purposes.
Anybody think I'm wrong in listing them as "other science"? I felt they fit more in line with sports medicine. Hell, our classes were in the sports medicine department.

Thanks!

I would ask the people at AACPMAS...they might be able to tell you.

But since you asked I would say they are non-science classes. They are not taught by the science department, they are not part of your traditional bio, chem, physics majors and therefore would not be calculated into your institutions "science GPA" if you were had one of those majors. I think the classes could be great experience that admissions may really like but they aren't "science" classes IMO.

So under podiatric experiences, I'm listing the shadowing I did. But I'm a little confused about what to put under the "Duties" section. I want to list what I got to see and participate in during my time at each place, but that's not really "duties". The only real duties I suppose I had there were to make the patients feel comfortable around me and stay out of the way during surgeries.

Does anyone have any suggestions, should I include both what I got to see and my "duties" or just the "duties"

I don't completely understand the problem. You have 660 characters to describe your shadowing experience in as much detail as the space allows. If you observed surgeries, write about that. If you interacted with patients, talk about that. If you assisted the Dr. in running charts/x-rays/instruments, talk about that. The only hard part should be fitting hours and hours worth of experience into that box giving the character constraints.

ok, thanks for the clarification. the word "duties" threw me off, I guess I would have expected it to be more like "experiences."
thanks!

ME:

Hello,

AACPMAS:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you.

i requested my transcripts a week before the app opened. i didn't use a form and they are all showing up just fine.

good luck everyone with the application cycle. If you have any questions about the process, please feel free to PM me. :thumbup:

i requested my transcripts a week before the app opened. i didn't use a form and they are all showing up just fine.

I just thought I would mention that mine have all shown up as well. So, to all of you that didn't use the transcript forms--I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck! :)

I also had my transcripts confirmed.. but more importantly.. as i start working on my app.. is it a bad idea to leave the "extracurricular activities" under additional info blank? it says: Briefly describe any scholarships or scholastic honors/awards, etc. received.

I don't really have anything except making deans list should i even put that on there? ... what are most people putting into this part of the application?

DPMHopeful: Same issue here, THx made my scores available for AACPMAS on 9/8 and it still hasn't showed up on my app. I'm guessing it just takes them awhile to process all of the scores coming in from the various applicants.

Yanks: Why would you leave anything off the application? The whole point here is to make yourself sound like an intelligent, well-rounded individual who has adequate medical experience and an obvious passion to serve (hint: altruistic community service hours). Do you think the Dean's list might hurt your chances?

Here's an example of what I did if you're not sold...My University gives scholarships to any incoming freshman who meet certain academic criteria (most private institutions do). I listed the scholarship I received in the "extra-curricular" section. Who cares if hundreds of other kids got the exact same scholarship, I got it and therefore I'm telling the admissions people about it.

Last edited:
Quick question. Why pick an undegrad major unrelated to DPM such as Nut. Sci.? I can see bio & chem relevant (& thus making one of those the major not minors, & impressing an adcomm with you wanting to know basic sciences that set foundations for DPM school). Just curious.

In the beginning I just didn't want to be another worthless student with a Biology degree..If you don't end up going to med school etc you cant do much with it. ( I know everyone has a friend they know who has a 4.0 who did but in general its useless). I knew I was applying to dental school or pod school and I also knew that you had required classes for those schools. By fulfilling the requirements to those schools I would almost have a bio and or chem degree minus a few classes so I'd have the knowledge a bio or chem major has but I have a more well rounded education because I studied another science along with those two core subjects.
Grad schools like to see students applying with degrees other than chem or bio bc they see a thousand of those everyday. They like something different. Also many Pod patients have diabetes which is why they have foot problems and I think my nutritional background will really help me treat diabetic podiatric patients most completely.

i feel like i've been posting a lot.. but oh well hah..anyways.. has anyone looked at the course subjects list and realized.. that ** is non science and a * is a science class... and that math and stats are * classes meaning they are science GPA now? Is this a mistake or am i just seeing things that i wish were true? (If so i have 2's A's and a B+ in my three math classes =) )