Is anyone looking forward to streamed lectures in medical school as much as I am

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sliceofbread136

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't wait until I can actually learn on my own time and don't have to walk 15 minutes to listen some TA struggle with english for 50 minutes.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Listen, Rebecca, if you're too lazy to walk 15 minutes in one go and get offended by broken English maybe medicine just ain't for you

I'm lazy as ****, but I'm willing to bet I'll make an excellent doctor thank you very much.

Supernatural-wtf.gif

I look forward to the increased efficiency.

General SDN dogma says that it takes 3-4 times going through the lecture material to prep for exams...

I welcome the ability to stream lectures at 2x speed with open arms.
6.gif

Ya my threads like to descend into "you'll never make a good doctor" comebacks. Haters gonna hate I guess.

Becky it's not that we hate you- quite the opposite, I love imagining your cute smile and full lips as you spout this garbage. It's just that, well, when you hate on some hapless ta who can't quite speak valley girl as well as you it makes you seem a bit intolerant.

Listen, Rebecca, if you're too lazy to walk 15 minutes in one go and get offended by broken English maybe medicine just ain't for you

I'm going to assume it didn't take your Rocket Scientist credential to fabricate a straw man like that

Becky it's not that we hate you- quite the opposite, I love imagining your cute smile and full lips as you spout this garbage. It's just that, well, when you hate on some hapless ta who can't quite speak valley girl as well as you it makes you seem a bit intolerant.

If I'm gonna sit an hour in lecture I'd like to understand it.

And you aren't doctor Cox lol

:eyebrow: I thought you were kidding on the first post but now I'm just :confused:

ANYWAYS lol I totally agree, especially when you're in medical school you're already going to be so busy. All that time that you would have to use driving to campus, finding parking, driving back can be put to much better use.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly.

What if they write something on the chalk board?

:(

Of course n=1, but so far I've managed to pass every class with watching streams only very, very seldom. I'm at a P/F unranked school, though, so whatever small amount of information I might be missing out on doesn't matter all that much in the long run.

(sent from my phone)

Watching streams is for scrubs. The real pros just look at the notes with no streams.

(sent from my phone)

NickNaylor seems to epitomize the "work smart, not hard" philosophy... I'm a fan. It's a fresh change from the plethora of masochistic med students on here who seem to study 24/7.

General SDN dogma says that it takes 3-4 times going through the lecture material to prep for exams...

6.gif

:thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

6.gif

This and P/F will literally be the key selling points for the med school I'll attend when it comes down to decision time in April/May.

NickNaylor seems to epitomize the "work smart, not hard" philosophy... I'm a fan. It's a fresh change from the plethora of masochistic med students on here who seem to study 24/7.

I completely agree. I think with his strategy you can study 7-8 hours a day and still have so much free time to do whatever else you want. I look forward to a ridiculous amount of shadowing opportunities.

Gunners tell kids studying is overrated. You'll all be easy to troll.

I agree with this. I think my previous comment was too brief. I think there's also the element that students should have lives outside of medical school and pre-clerkship grades are definitely not number 1. These other priorities can be family, friends, hobbies etc. and this is why trying to aim for that perfect score (like some have done in undergrad) can ultimately lead to unnecessary stress and will have little meaning in the end anyway (when applying for residencies).

Jesus, you have a strong application. How many interviews so far?

8 interviews, 1 rejection (pritzker), waiting on 4.

I really nailed my southwestern interview and I really want to go there.

Gunners tell kids studying is overrated. You'll all be easy to troll.

Ya Nicknaylor's plan is a devious one

Watching streams is for scrubs. The real pros just look at the notes with no streams.
Truth.

What if they write something on the chalk board?
I certainly got my share of questions wrong on exams as an M1/M2, but I never saw a question and thought "This must be something they talked about in class but not the notes, because I never saw this before." It was all in the notes in some form or another. If I got it wrong, it was because I just didn't remember it, not because I never saw it.

6.gif

2x is definitely chipmunk territory :laugh:. I personally like 1.7

And yeah, repetition is key. I usually only listen to lecture once and then re-read my notes however many times I need to.

I completely agree. I think with his strategy you can study 7-8 hours a day and still have so much free time to do whatever else you want. I look forward to a ridiculous amount of shadowing opportunities.

7-8 hrs/day? Lol please.

However, I'm not a role model if you don't follow the P=MD philosophy, don't go to an unranked school, or would mind being in the bottom half (perhaps quarter?) of your class.

7-8 hrs/day? Lol please.

However, I'm not a role model if you don't follow the P=MD philosophy, don't go to an unranked school, or would mind being in the bottom half (perhaps quarter?) of your class.

Well, considering I spent 7-8 hours a semester in undergrad, I feel I kind of back loaded my school work in life.

7-8 hrs/day? Lol please.

NickNaylor, just out of curiosity, I know you said that you studied 2-3 hours a day during M1 (exceptions being before exams). Have your study habits changed at all in M2?

I don't know. I prefer having my ticket punched in and being there in person. Maybe I'm old fashion, but I like listening to professors speak. Oh, and I don't take notes.

NickNaylor, just out of curiosity, I know you said that you studied 2-3 hours a day during M1 (exceptions being before exams). Have your study habits changed at all in M2?

We are only... four weeks in and I took the first week off for vacation, so keep that in mind, but yes, I'm having to study substantially more. We're taking two basic science courses (neurobiology and pharmacology), both of which have been pretty demanding in terms of the amount of material presented each day.

I think this is more the result of starting a week behind and this quarter being extremely abbreviated (we are covering these courses in about six weeks).

(sent from my phone)

Stream as in it was recorded and you can watch it again and again?
Or stream as in you can stay in bed instead of going to class and watch it live on your computer?

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Stream as in it was recorded and you can watch it again and again?
Or stream as in you can stay in bed instead of going to class and watch it live on your computer?

Recorded. Ours are usually uploaded within an hour or so after the lecture.

I had trouble figuring out how much time I was actually saving by streaming between 1.1 and 1.9x speed, so I put together this site for my classmates to hep budget their time. Let me know what you all think:
http://streamingcalc.com/

I had trouble figuring out how much time I was actually saving by streaming between 1.1 and 1.9x speed, so I put together this site for my classmates to hep budget their time. Let me know what you all think:
http://streamingcalc.com/

this is awesome, i wind up being very disappointed trying to estimate it in my head because I always seem to underestimate.

I am a fan of "work smart over work hard" but remember that the strategies that work for him may not work you. This is why it is best to find your own way (using his as a guide).

sliceofbread, I am looking forward to streamed lectures. I like to study at my own pace and there were times in lectures where the prof would say something that confused me and I would be thinking about it for the rest of the time and stop listening henceforth. With streamed lectures, I can stop and think things over or write down thoughts and then hit resume when I am ready. I love how medical schools allow you to do this.

sliceofbread, I am looking forward to streamed lectures. I like to study at my own pace and there were times in lectures where the prof would say something that confused me and I would be thinking about it for the rest of the time and stop listening henceforth. With streamed lectures, I can stop and think things over or write down thoughts and then hit resume when I am ready. I love how medical schools allow you to do this.

This is a very good point. Since my school does not do streaming broadcast (a few classes are recording lecture), I have to preview my notes before class. The previewing of notes does help especially for those times when the lecture becomes thought provoking. With streaming though, this makes the studying process easier because it gives us time to stop and think. The previewing of notes are not necessary because of this.

Just a curious question. Do medical schools hire professors who dont speak fluent English like in undergrad?

Yes, definitely. Especially since I find I sit in a lot of my classes bored because the professor goes too ****ing slow with the material. That'll probably change when I hit the science/biology courses since I can't really deduce in advance what the professor is going to talk about in that realm, but by god can lectures be boring...especially when dumb people in my class (read: CC...not that the material lacks the depth that university does...it's just that a nice percentage of my classmates are uggah buggah) ask dumb questions that make me want to paddle myself to death with my spiral notebook.

I do find that I tend to benefit from lecture though, as I've got a pretty damned good attention span and am good at multitasking writing/listening, but if the school I end up attending is all powerpoints and recorded lecture, I think I'll be fine. I'll probably end up, like a lot of people, going to lecture in the beginning to feel out the courses, and then gradually transitioning to staying at home in my underwear with my laptop and a cup of coffee.