Is anyone taking the MCAT in August? Advice needed...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thestrokes14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been studying for the MCAT since the beginning of June. I have been scoring above 10 on biology and physical science, but I haven't had much verbal practice, and I have only scored 8-10 on the EK practice tests.

As of right now, my test is scheduled for July 29th, and I am applying for medical school this summer, for matriculation next fall.

Anyway, here is my question. I could really use an extra two weeks with practice to maximize my score. I am not saying this to be lazy; I really put in about 6 hours of solid studying a day. The only caveat is that if I take the MCAT on august 15th or so, would this significantly hurt my chances of getting into a medical school? My credentials are pretty good, science GPA is very high, GPA is fine, and I think my MCAT will be very good if I have a couple of weeks.

Is anyone else taking it in august anyway, and applying this summer?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I have been studying for the MCAT since the beginning of June. I have been scoring above 10 on biology and physical science, but I haven't had much verbal practice, and I have only scored 8-10 on the EK practice tests.

As of right now, my test is scheduled for July 29th, and I am applying for medical school this summer, for matriculation next fall.

Anyway, here is my question. I could really use an extra two weeks with practice to maximize my score. I am not saying this to be lazy; I really put in about 6 hours of solid studying a day. The only caveat is that if I take the MCAT on august 15th or so, would this significantly hurt my chances of getting into a medical school? My credentials are pretty good, science GPA is very high, GPA is fine, and I think my MCAT will be very good if I have a couple of weeks.

Is anyone else taking it in august anyway, and applying this summer?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

August MCAT is fine. Just be sure to submit your AMCAS application ASAP because that will hold you up. As I recently told someone else, a friend of mine took her MCAT on the last date offered last year and was still admitted into 3 allopathic schools to matriculate this fall. But, she had her application submitted and verified in June.

To answer your other question, I took the June 17 MCAT but I am going to retake in late August.

I'm taking it August 5th and also applying this year so you are not alone! My friend applied near the deadline last year and only to three schools. With a 3.5, 34 MCAT, and solid EC's, she got interviews at all three schools. Two acceptances and one waitlist.

Hope this helps :)